The "How was your weekend?" thread...

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Great discipline. Big kudos for not launching a bullet.
Headed back up there this afternoon. I’m taking a buddy who is a sniper😀. I‘ll bet he sends one tonight. I’m just not good enough at that distance. I spent too much of my life flinging sharp sticks.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Pretty decent weekend, fishing wise. Hadn't been fishing in over two weeks due to wimping out during that hot spell. I was intent on trying to save my failing garden. But James reminded me that I'd agreed to go fishing Saturday. I'd rather not fish on weekends, but that's often the only time the working class can go. Anyway, I'm glad I did. Four trips to the Cowlitz so far this summer, and finally bagged a steelhead. I'd post a photo, but of course I didn't take any. It was a 5# female and mint bright hatchery fish, so I killed it. Floating line (of course, or James would have said bad words to me) on the little CND Spey Tracker. God I love single Spey casts with that rod and line, could do it all day long. In fact, I guess that's what I did. And not too hot at all and beats spending the day fretting about my garden that is proving barely worth my time this year. Caught on a sparse purple fly on a #4 low water hook. Not a small Muddler or Spade fly because I won a dozen of these beautiful flies at the club Christmas raffle 4 years ago. And flies fished on floating lines tend to last a long time.

Xoxo

With our friends we went to a local gathering that had a classic car show and live music and food trucks. Then we ventured and out to a local pub where three firefighters from our town were playing acoustic music.

(Mine is the dark beer.) I forget the name. It starts with a D. Edited to add since i remembered this morning. It’s Dystopian!) I think it would be such a fun job naming craft beers. C59BEE66-8238-40EE-8954-96414F95EAFA.jpeg

Last edited:

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Sunday I took a buddy back up to my best bear spot in WA. No bear this time but we watched a wolf for about 2-3 minutes as it worked it’s way across a ridge to a moose kill. That’s only the 2nd wolf I have seen in the wild and my first in the lower 48. It’s not shocking as we have several trail cam photos of them. We all know they’re around but you just don’t see them...it was pretty wild to see.

Doublebluff

As sure as your sorrows are joys
Forum Supporter
I don't know if this will work, and I don't know if it will be interesting... but I spent my weekend reading about how cells mutate. Supplementary video 1 is kinda trippy...

~16 h time lapse of a yeast colony (100,000 cells...?) growing from a single cell, yellow streaks are mutants.

Bajema

Life of the Party
Friday I drove to Westport with my father in law. We timed our departure poorly and spent a couple extra hours stuck in traffic. We got up bright and early Saturday morning for a pelagic trip with Westport Seabirds. We went about 40 miles offshore and saw lots of great birds including black-footed albatross, sooty shearwater, short-tailed shearwater, pink-footed shearwater, bullers shearwater, northern fulmar, arctic terns, fork-tailed storm petrels, pomarine jaeger, long-tailed jaeger, and south polar skua. It was my second time on one of these trips and it was just the best time. Something about being out at sea that is good for the soul.

I posted some pictures in the bird pictures thread.

62130FB6-8A22-47B3-824B-DA6A358F56CE.jpeg

longputt

Steelhead
Not one hour of fishing...first time in months...golf, fencing (cedar type) and dog training (the season is coming.)

Be sure and get your dog in shape.

Great to see some folks made it out fishing.

Last edited:

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Visited central Oregon this weekend, and spent a bunch of time on the Met. Now I see why @Canuck from Kansas headed to the high country in the summer. That place is beautiful, but packed on a summer day.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Ran the 200mi Hood to Coast Relay. Was an awesome time and I plan to do it again next year.

Half of our 12 person team at the starting line. I'm the bald one with the gross mustache.
1661800376516.png
Each team is split in to 2 vans, only one van actively running at a time while the other rests. One runner does 4-7mi legs at a time and passes the bracelet off to the next person. Starts at Mount Hood and ends in Seaside on the beach.

Here we are happy it's over :D
1661800450560.png

My best run:
1661800497243.png

Attachments

• 1661800493058.png
    1661800493058.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 5

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ran the 200mi Hood to Coast Relay. Was an awesome time and I plan to do it again next year.

Half of our 12 person team at the starting line. I'm the bald one with the gross mustache.
View attachment 29698
Each team is split in to 2 vans, only one van actively running at a time while the other rests. One runner does 4-7mi legs at a time and passes the bracelet off to the next person. Starts at Mount Hood and ends in Seaside on the beach.

Here we are happy it's over :D
View attachment 29699

My best run:
View attachment 29701
Awesome
Like the Ragnar
I volunteer every year
Running days are over but I enjoy being involved
Nice work

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Awesome
Like the Ragnar
I volunteer every year
Running days are over but I enjoy being involved
Nice work
That Ragnar that starts in Blaine looks like a fun one. I just doubt I could pull together a team to do it, especially with the timing (a month before Hood to Coast). The logistics of getting vans and all that together is stressful. I may still try though.