The Ghost of Steelhead Bob

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
A few years back before WDFW wrecked the Cutthroat run, I used to see an old feller that we called Steelhead Bob in the upper run. Bob fished there until he was 80 and then finally gave it up because he figured he was too old to wade. He didn’t really fish for the Steelhead, he was mostly interested in the Cutthroat, but occasionally he’d hook one just because they were there. Broke them off on purpose he said because the tendonitis in his forearms hurt so bad.

It 76, I’ve become Steelhead Bob. Wading the river with two bad knees is tough and I’m beginning to wonder how long I can manage. Friendly Phil says the trick is to wade deep. He says it takes all the weight off your back and knees.

Bagman

Steelhead
A wading staff for sure
Very helpful
I have the wading staff had to use it for the first time yesterday morning. Got out of bed and my left knee didn’t want to hold my weight. Iced it and raised it up for about 20 minute, still had to use my staff for a few hours, but it’s doing much better now. Let me tell you this getting old is definitely not for the young.🤔

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have the wading staff had to use it for the first time yesterday morning. Got out of bed and my left knee didn’t want to hold my weight. Iced it and raised it up for about 20 minute, still had to use my staff for a few hours, but it’s doing much better now. Let me tell you this getting old is definitely not for the young.🤔
The Golden Years
I refuse to bitch about it however

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Trudy, who used to run shuttles loved to eat fish. We gave her steelhead, but she really preferred the cutthroat.
The mother Cow still offers decent cutt fishing at times, but not like when they used to get 20K+ back to the hatchery.

You can probably still catch fish without wading.
SF

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Trudy, who used to run shuttles loved to eat fish. We gave her steelhead, but she really preferred the cutthroat.
The mother Cow still offers decent cutt fishing at times, but not like when they used to get 20K+ back to the hatchery.

You can probably still catch fish without wading.
SF
Trudy was a hoot - always enjoyed the shuttle ride with her!

RCF

Life of the Party
The Golden Years
I refuse to bitch about it however
I have adjusted my fishing to still be fun and within my capabilities:

Boats are heavy --> I am looking into buying a small boat made of plastic. Probably just will hold me...
Balance is waning --> bought a better wading staff.
Can not wade like I used to ---> I am now hiring guides on bigger waters. Let those young bucks do all the work
Can not wade like I used to ---> Now 1 fish smaller little blue lines.
Can not wade like I used to ---> fishing lakes more than I used to.
Can not take the sun like I used to ---> Warm afternoons in the shade, a small breeze and comfy chair with a cold brew or 2 solves that.
Rowing is not easy --> that is why electric motors were invented.
Batteries are heavy --> that is why LiPo batteries were invented.
Small flies are hard to tie and put on a leader --> do not tie them anymore. If I need some I buy them.

Being old is learning from past mistakes. Wish I would of learned that stuff earlier.