The Fall in SW Montana thread

Friday got out with Salmo. It was perfect weather for fishing, low clouds, light winds, and scattered showers. Got our first baetis hatch of the season and streamer bite picked up late in the day. No hogs worthy of showing off but nice day out and Fall was definitely in the air.

DSC_2768.jpg

Today my wife and her brother joined. Water had a touch of color due to the rains the past few days in the park. Fishing was slow but weather was great.

DSC_2807.jpg

Been on a big fish drought. Hopefully we can get it done in the coming weeks.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Is this the "Official" Fall in SW Montana thread" or just some mere imposter?

Great looking water and scenery - beeg feesh are a bonus.

cheers

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
It could become the Official Fall in MT thread in a week or two. Right now it is the "summer transitioning into fall" thread. Had an interesting week, 3 species of trout, 3 whitefish on streamers even, and one 20" brown to top it all off. Didn't have hardly any dry fly action. Coulda' been better; coulda' been worse. Had a fun visit with Swimmy but couldn't shake him from a couple of his flawed political positions - nothing new there. Took my Helena friend on a Missouri R. float Monday, and sinful spin fisher that he is, he admitted having a really fun time catching trout on flies. Nice day on Monday, but Tuesday dawned cold and windy - a good day to be homeward bound.

RCF

Life of the Party
Montana's fall time is a special time for fishing. Weather is also special - not necessarily in a good way. Spent last 50 years going there. It can be special for sure. So many great memories...

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
@Salmo_g did Swimmy blame his big fish drought on Biden?
Oh yes, and then some! Biden and the Democrats lavish spending bills are directly responsible for inflation, a death spiraling economy, the high cost of shorts and hoodys and streamer flies in Craig, western wildfires and drought, and the shrinking size of brown trout. I'm starting to get it, so Swimmy is trying to get me to vote Red. I said, "Sure," just as soon as he finds me a candidate that doesn't belong in an orange jumpsuit. Swimmy and I are living proof that it's feasible to talk politics while fishing. By next fall we should be finished with charting a new course for America with a strong economy, bipartisan compromise, adequate defense, a literate and informed citizenry, secure and fair elections, renewable energy, clean and abundant water, fair-trade shorts and hoodys, and larger trout!

Shad

Life of the Party
Oh yes, and then some! Biden and the Democrats lavish spending bills are directly responsible for inflation, a death spiraling economy, the high cost of shorts and hoodys and streamer flies in Craig, western wildfires and drought, and the shrinking size of brown trout. I'm starting to get it, so Swimmy is trying to get me to vote Red. I said, "Sure," just as soon as he finds me a candidate that doesn't belong in an orange jumpsuit. Swimmy and I are living proof that it's feasible to talk politics while fishing. By next fall we should be finished with charting a new course for America with a strong economy, bipartisan compromise, adequate defense, a literate and informed citizenry, secure and fair elections, renewable energy, clean and abundant water, fair-trade shorts and hoodys, and larger trout!
I haven't gone deep with Swimmy on politics (I try to stay shallow while fishing, to limit the potential for ruining a perfectly great day), but I've found him pretty reasonable... you know, like most people. I approve of the party platform you outlined above, and I bet about 80% of Americans would, too. Now, we just need a good name (that doesn't invoke populism or communism) and to get someone on the 2024 ballot. So who's working on that?

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
good luck ;)

To be fair, I went to Art School, so you're probably going to need to lump me into the illiterate and uninformed crowd.
I went to art school as well so lump me in with the illiterates. But I know one thing for sure, we had a lot fun and we did not waste much time on things like studying !!

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
6" of snow fell in the mtns two nights ago. High pressure has since moved in and we are seeing absolutely stellar early Fall weather.

The oldest is visiting this weekend and we got out today for a short float. Fishing was slow but I was stoked on just the two of us getting to hang and catching up. His mom was jealous.

DSC_2829.jpg

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
6" of snow fell in the mtns two nights ago. High pressure has since moved in and we are seeing absolutely stellar early Fall weather.

The oldest is visiting this weekend and we got out today for a short float. Fishing was slow but I was stoked on just the two of us getting to hang and catching up. His mom was jealous.

DSC_2829.jpg

Can he row?