The beginning of the end (of Summer)

Ever since I have been in Oregon I've considered the week before Labor Day to be the last week of Summer, and coincidentally my work historically has always closed for said week. I always go on a last ditch panicked effort to soak in the last of Summer and this year was no different.

There was a lot of options on the table this year: Cannonball it to Banff to visit a friend, running to Idaho or Montana, or sticking around and helping a friend go through a hard time in Oregon. Obviously the latter was chosen and we opted to start the week backpacking in Eastern Oregon. On the docket was a ~30 mile hike (with all the detours and side trails) with plenty of fishing in between.

We started out by driving out East from Portland and made a quick pit stop at the headwaters of a famous bass river and this consequently was our only skunking of the trip--granted we only spent 30 minutes or so trading off casting the 4wt. Regardless, it's a mighty fine river and would love to get back to explore it some more this high up.

2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-1.jpg

Next stop was to meet up with two of our good friends who were also meandering around the state. Cooked a good dinner and went to bed so we were ready for the hike.

The next day started off with running a shuttle as our hike was one way. On our way to the the trailhead we stopped at a random little tailwater in the area and proceeded to land 2 small (9" and 11") rainbows in about 15 minutes on a hopper.

Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 8.24.36 PM.png

The rest of the day consisted of climbing up to a beautiful cirque with 2 lakes that were completely surrounded with mountain goats and rising brookies.
We caught 8-10" fish all evening and kept a few for a pre dinner snack.

2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-7.jpg
2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-17.jpg
2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-20.jpg

Camp at the backend of the lake.
2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-26.jpg

A family of Mountain Goats2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-42.jpg

The view of the two lakes as we ascended the ridge the next morning.
2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-49.jpg

The next day was ~12 mile day which gave me a lot of time to think. I had already caught a good amount of fish, and I knew I still had a handful of days of sporadic fishing coming up so I needed to mix things up. Along the trail I had come across a handful of Mountain Goat hair that I grabbed to bring back to my kid. As I was walking I remembered @SteelheadBee 's Grass Fly post and I started concocting how I could try that lakeside. I wanted to tie a fly using only what I had on hand. So far, I had some mountain goat hair, a needle and (very thick) thread in my emergency kit, and eventually also came across a feather. When I got to camp, I stripped down a previously tied size 14 Royal Wulff to the bare hook and got to work. I can tie somewhat decent flies, but with no vise and no bobbin it wasn't the easiest tie and definitely wasn't the prettiest. Holding the hook with my left hand while trying to wrap with my right wasn't easy but this is what I came up with. It's basically a mountain goat dubbed body with a little feather over wing. I called it the Hail Satan. I REALLY, REALLY, wish I took a more in focus picture of it.

2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-65.jpg

2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-66.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I immediately ran down to the lake and proceeded to catch this Brookie on the 3rd cast. Yes. I ate it. And yes, I was laughing maniacally the whole time.

2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-67.jpg

The fish at this lake were rising much more steadily in the middle of the lake, and my buddy only had his tenkara so he took his sleeping pad out there to try to get to them
2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-70.jpg

The next day we did one last long slog to the end of our hike. Two of us went one way and two went the other. My buddy and I headed down to a famous smallie river just for the night where we caught a great sunset and recovered with some steak and potatoes (beers and tequila too). We woke up early to catch some smallies (no pictures), before we headed back West to meet up with my wife and kid for a couple nights of car camping (and still more fishing).
2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-79.jpg
2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-86.jpg
2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-89.jpg

The first night we stayed up at a lake in the burn zone of a Central Oregon mountain where we just flopped around and swam all night and the next morning.
2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-94.jpg

My buddy split off at this point and my wife kid and I headed further West where we camped on a well known stocker creek. I’ve never been in this drainage before and have known it to be beautiful but I was sure as shit surprised by how trashed every single campsite was. We came along this absolutely beautiful site tucked away off the road but then we proceeded to collect three full totes of trash. I was fuming. Not only was there trash in the site, there was trash in the river. I found barbies, a full watermelon, among many other things. We cleaned up, and we’re finally able to relax and get to fishing. I caught this fish while holding my kid on a size 14 purple humpy and she requested to eat it so I obliged.

2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-104.jpg
Honestly, they should just shut it down. We don't deserve this place.
2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-105.jpg

2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-108.jpg
2022_TMcSweeney_Elkhorn-Crest-100.jpg

Overall, It was an incredible week and am so thankful I was able to make it happen.

Last edited:

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Sounds like a great trip. Glad it went well and a big bummer about the trash in the river and at the campsite. Nice photos as well!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
At the elevation that Mcswny was at, you are 100% correct. Last year on that week at 7000 ft, we had a hard frost the last morning.
If I remember correctly, the first night, we were at 7,700 feet, I can’t remember the the second night but it was similar.

The whole backpacking portion, I just slept on my pad outside—no tent/shelter. I was a bit concerned after the first night of camping at the TH, I was pretty cold in my beat ass 23 degree bag (I literally had a new 15 degree bag in the mail). This was only at 5,500 feet. So I grabbed my buddies spare hammock quilt to drape over me on the trail (still no shelter). Thankfully, it warmed up and was perfectly content in my shitty old down bag and happy sans tent because I was able to fall asleep watching shooting stars

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Glad you got out, great memories at those lakes you fished and nice tie with the goat fur. There are lakes in that area with much bigger brookies, close to where your were, but many less fish.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I immediately ran down to the lake and proceeded to catch this Brookie on the 3rd cast. Yes. I ate it. And yes, I was laughing maniacally the whole time.

View attachment 30469

The fish at this lake were rising much more steadily in the middle of the lake, and my buddy only had his tenkara so he took his sleeping pad out there to try to get to them
View attachment 30470

The next day we did one last long slog to the end of our hike. Two of us went one way and two went the other. My buddy and I headed down to a famous smallie river just for the night where we caught a great sunset and recovered with some steak and potatoes (beers and tequila too). We woke up early to catch some smallies (no pictures), before we headed back West to meet up with my wife and kid for a couple nights of car camping (and still more fishing).
View attachment 30471
View attachment 30472
View attachment 30473

The first night we stayed up at a lake in the burn zone of a Central Oregon mountain where we just flopped around and swam all night and the next morning.
View attachment 30474

My buddy split off at this point and my wife kid and I headed further West where we camped on a well known stocker creek. I’ve never been in this drainage before and have known it to be beautiful but I was sure as shit surprised by how trashed every single campsite was. We came along this absolutely beautiful site tucked away off the road but then we proceeded to collect three full totes of trash. I was fuming. Not only was there trash in the site, there was trash in the river. I found barbies, a full watermelon, among many other things. We cleaned up, and we’re finally able to relax and get to fishing. I caught this fish while holding my kid on a size 14 purple humpy and she requested to eat it so I obliged.

View attachment 30476
Honestly, they should just shut it down. We don't deserve this place.
View attachment 30477

View attachment 30478
View attachment 30475

Overall, It was an incredible week and am so thankful I was able to make it happen.
Sounds like you had the trash expedition in the Quartzville drainage. Ever since they closed the trash sites (campsites) around Green Peter Reservoir, the shit show moved up along and into the creek. What a shame too…that coupled with the 375 days of catch n keep fishing with bait allowed.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
There are lakes in that area with much bigger brookies, close to where your were, but many less fish.

Very curious about this. There was really only 1 or 2 lakes we didnt visit fish in that area (at least on the trail).