SBS The Bass Popper Thread🥳

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I prep my heads before hand so I have a pile of complete heads to choose from. Lately I've been big on utilizing foam cylinders made by Wapsi. Slice a cylinder in half and pair it with a Ahrex Predator Stinger. I like the big gap on this hook. Pierce it with a bodkin. The process goes glue on hook, thread, glue, chenille (small), glue, popper head. You can see the placement of hook in cylinder below:20220507_143908_resized (1).jpgThen I usually play around with coloration using Copic markers and smear them with my thumb. I glue the eyes on. Then first coat of epoxy is brushed on (I use Devcon 30 minute). If you want sparkles add them this coat. Then I put on the spinning wheel. I can do about 5 with a small batch of epoxy (30ml's) mixed per manufacturer recommendations before it gets too gummy. Then I do a lighter second coat after 24 hours on wheel especially making sure the front and back of hook has a nice application as this will help keep cylinder in place and prevent spinning over time.

I like to tie in a couple rooster saddle feathers deceiver style:20220608_133054.jpgThen I take two smaller rooster saddle feathers and V out from those:20220608_133703.jpgThen I like light and dark flash:20220608_133857.jpgTie in shlappin feathers here I did 3 browns and an olive black tip:20220608_134031.jpg20220608_135205.jpgNow wrap and get a good thread base. This is key to getting the rubber legs to flair out skirt style. I get my rubber from fishingskirts.com and it's way cheaper then from fly shops and you get 10 tabs. 20220608_135704.jpgThis is for a full tab:20220608_135737.jpgPosition rubber and wrap three wrap then massage rubber around to form 240 degrees of coverage around the hook:20220608_140003.jpgPull tight almost like you do with deer hair and it should flair out. Tie off and cut to length:20220608_140537.jpgAny questions?
Billy

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I prep my heads before hand so I have a pile of complete heads to choose from. Lately I've been big on utilizing foam cylinders made by Wapsi. Slice a cylinder in half and pair it with a Ahrex Predator Stinger. I like the big gap on this hook. Pierce it with a bobbin. The process goes glue, thread, glue, chenille (small), glue, head. You can see the placement of hook in cylinder below:View attachment 19352Then I usually play around with coloration using Copic markers and smear them with my thumb. I glue the eyes on. Then first coat of epoxy is brushed on (I use Devcon 30 minute). If you want sparkles add them this coat. Then I put on the spinning wheel. I can do about 5 with a small batch of epoxy (30ml's) mixed per manufacturer recommendations before it gets too gummy. Then I do a lighter second coat after 24 hours on wheel especially making sure the front and back of hook has a nice application as this will help keep cylinder in place and prevent spinning over time.

I like to tie in a couple rooster saddle feathers deceiver style:View attachment 19354Then I take two smaller rooster saddle feathers and V out from those:View attachment 19355Then I like light and dark flash:View attachment 19356Tie in shlappin feathers here I did 3 browns and an olive black tip:View attachment 19357View attachment 19358Now wrap and get a good thread base. This is key to getting the rubber legs to flair out skirt style. I get my rubber from fishingskirts.com and it's way cheaper then from fly shops and you get 10 tabs. View attachment 19359This is for a full tag:View attachment 19360Position rubber and wrap three wrap then massage rubber around to form 240 degrees of coverage around the hook:View attachment 19361Pull tight almost like you do with deer hair and it should flair out. Tie off and cut to length:View attachment 19531Any questions?
Billy
What diameter foam cylinders are you using?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Very cool, thanks.
So—
The process goes glue, thread, glue, chenille (small), glue, head.
Does this mean glue the shank, wrap thread, glue thread, wrap chenille, glue on chenille, then slide the head over the chenille? Do you slide the head on from the front (eye) of the hook? What glue are you using?

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Very cool, thanks.
So—

Does this mean glue the shank, wrap thread, glue thread, wrap chenille, glue on chenille, then slide the head over the chenille? Do you slide the head on from the front (eye) of the hook? What glue are you using?
Yes and just a few wraps of small diameter chenille to form a small bump. I use a brush on super glue and slide head on from the front after a trial fitting. I ream it out with a bodkin. The goal is a tight fit then encapsulate with epoxy.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Thanks for this @Billy. Do you notice a big difference using the heads you create versus generic green or other color foam cylinders?
You mean just green verses sparkles and copic coloration??? I dont. I am big on eyes of some sort however.

I caught many many fish with this one: IMG_20210614_062339_260.jpgIt has a wave tail in the back. Slight color variation. I prefer dark/light patterns. Brown/yellow, olive/orange, black/yellow and so on.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I need to learn to make poppers. I do have some heads. But,... I haven't explored painting. What kind of paint do you use? I do have a air brush from when I was painting model RC Cars. Water base? clear coat?

Last edited:

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
You mean just green verses sparkles and copic coloration??? I dont. I am big on eyes of some sort however.

I caught many many fish with this one: View attachment 19563It has a wave tail in the back. Slight color variation. I prefer dark/light patterns. Brown/yellow, olive/orange, black/yellow and so on.

Yeah, like the generic green poppers you can buy that have slots for eyes but are definitely not as dapper as your creations.

Appreciate the SBS!

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Wow Billy awesome SBS! Sure wish I would have checked the forum earlier before tying my first bass popper tonight! I just made it up from memory of yours and a couple I purchased in the past. I was actually kind of close but a few of your tips would have been helpful. I’ll post mine in the what’s in your vise thread.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Have you tried UV resin vs the traditional epoxy? Any durability issues with UV type on something this big?

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, like the generic green poppers you can buy that have slots for eyes but are definitely not as dapper as your creations.

Appreciate the SBS!
If you are talking the flymen heads you can coat them the exact way as described above. IMG_20200722_061847_245.jpgI am slowly going away from the two types of flymen heads however for a few different reasons. They are a little more squishy then I like leading to issues with getting a good seal and durability. They cost a decent amount. The lack of any sort of olive or brown or new colors coming out. Just my 2cents on them🤠