The Bamboo Boys visit the North Cascades

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 9.17.27 AM.png
Tim Cottage, Greg Armstrong and I spent the day at a lake off the North Cascades highway. Greg is in the middle and Tim is on the right. Greg fished a Granger 8040, I fished a Granger 8642 and Tim fished a lovely dark cane rod he built based on a Constable taper. You know you'll have a good day when you see cutts cruising around the put-in. Can you spot the fish?
Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 9.19.53 AM.png
The fish were hanging off the shore alders picking up terrestrials.

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 9.21.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 9.27.43 AM.png
Our best wet fly was a fuzzy claret bumble fished just under the surface. It looks a lot like a beetle or an ant or something which just fell into the water.
FDFDB79D-07B0-44A5-9101-07CF4FA36BF1_1_105_c.jpeg
It was easy to get distracted. Here's the view down one end of the lake as I played a fish...
Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 9.26.52 AM.png
A highlight for me was watching Greg dibble a trout out of a tiny plunge pool below a small bridge on the trail to the lake. He did the same thing on his last trip here.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Always love Dave's posts cause I spend the next hour scouring Google Maps trying to figure out where he went. I never figure it out but it's fun.

I can spend hours on Google Maps, especially now with the street view and the photos people upload from hikes, etc...

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
A darn near perfect day with friends.

Place really hasn't changed much in the 55 years since I first visited it with my Dad. A lot more people there, but still beautiful... and the fish still look exactly the same as I remember!

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Jeez! I didn't realize I was quite that ugly when I'm not smiling. Somebody should have told me about that a long time ago.

It was a great day. Spectacular scenery, willing fish and great company.