That last phase starts

Uptonogood

PNW raised
I enjoy viewing the hunting and fishing reports, brings up a lot of great memories. The wife and I are moving to a senior living facility closer to her family and our specialized medical care at one of the finest medical facilities in the country. The hardest part is the downsizing.

in two weeks my nephew and his father will arrive from Californi, rent a truck and take possession of most of my African trophies and my firearms. I’ll also give them my fishing equipment except for a couple of surf rods and a 4wt and 6wt fly rods. I’m hopping they can manage the gun safe, too, but it’s probably 500 lbs so there’s that issue.

I was blessed to grow up in eastern Washington in a time between shooting wars. Very little land was posted and bird hunting was great especially chukars once we knew the secret. And we had our shotguns in our cars parked at school, known to parents and teachers, and no one worried about it. And firearm safety training was mandatory for boys in our junior high PE class.

My fishing started at Bicycle Creek in Yakima, a 14 and under fishery on the eastern end of the airport. The folks at the trout hatchery located there threw a hundred or so trout in the creek every now and then and all of the bicycles strewn in the dust on the creek pathway, lent the name to the five foot wide, 50 yard creek. Ultimately life took me to Idaho and Montana for incredible fly fishing.

I’ve lived in the southeastern US for a total of 25 years and hooked up with some really excellent fishing partners and good men. Whether fishing the estuaries for seatrout, redfish, flounder and Sheephead or offshore chasing wahoo mahi, grouper or snapper, there was always great fun and fish to filet every trip.

My greatest fly fishing experience was permit, bonefish and a big jack Creavle in Belize where even a journeyman level fly fisher could catch a Grand Slam (yes, the tarpon was small but the pros said it counted!)

Hunting also spanned the USA and the world. Fantastic freelance goose hunting in Alberta, grouse hunting in western Washington, doves in Yakima, Mexico and Zimbabwe (sand goose) were beyond and dream or plan I ever had. Montana has a very special place for sharptails, you just had to watch out for grizzly bears! I surely don’t want to forget woodcock, common snipe and marsh hens in Georgia.

And then there was Africa. I read Robert Ruark as a kid, over and over. I hunted southern bobwhite quail over great pointers, transported by mule drawn carriage. I never imagined that one day I too would hunt dangerous game, as Ruark did, in Zimbabwe and get charged by a pissy bull elephant.

I’m writing this, not to impress, but to say how grateful I am and also to close the door on my incredible opportunitie afield. The Fly Fishing Forum was/is the finest outdoor forum I’ve ever found and I thank all of it’s members for their posts, feedback and experiences.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
May you enjoy many more blessings, Karl. What a wondrous journey! I regret that we have never met, but still consider you a dear Friend.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Best of luck with your next phase in the retirement home. I visit my Mom at her retirement facility a few times per year and she enjoys being there. Having great memories & stories of outdoor adventures will be appreciated by the other residents.

wetline dave

Steelhead
Full filling ones bucket list is a good thing. Yours was broad and sounds great! It is a great comfort and the memories are what it is all about.
I am nearly 75 and my bucket list though modest was experienced in Wash, Wyo and British Columbia.

It isn't the breadth that counts it is the accomplishment of getting there and the experiences. Fulfilling some dreams and being a part of something that is almost ethereal in a loose way.

When you see it you will know or should I say when you feel the comfort settle in you will know!

Dave

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Bless you on your journey into the future. You have made the most of your life to this point. My parents moved into assisted living during the height of COVID. That restricted most of the activities at the facility they selected. Last October, my dad passed, which was a blessing because his dementia was starting to take hold and he hated that. Mom is still doing well and I visit with her every couple of weeks. She is an hour and a half away. The first week of November, I have an appointment in the town that she lives in and for the first time, I will be able to join her in the dining room for lunch. Looking forward to it.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing your story, best wishes to you and yours in this next journey.

dflett68

Steelhead
I enjoy viewing the hunting and fishing reports, brings up a lot of great memories. The wife and I are moving to a senior living facility closer to her family and our specialized medical care at one of the finest medical facilities in the country. The hardest part is the downsizing.

in two weeks my nephew and his father will arrive from Californi, rent a truck and take possession of most of my African trophies and my firearms. I’ll also give them my fishing equipment except for a couple of surf rods and a 4wt and 6wt fly rods. I’m hopping they can manage the gun safe, too, but it’s probably 500 lbs so there’s that issue.

I was blessed to grow up in eastern Washington in a time between shooting wars. Very little land was posted and bird hunting was great especially chukars once we knew the secret. And we had our shotguns in our cars parked at school, known to parents and teachers, and no one worried about it. And firearm safety training was mandatory for boys in our junior high PE class.

My fishing started at Bicycle Creek in Yakima, a 14 and under fishery on the eastern end of the airport. The folks at the trout hatchery located there threw a hundred or so trout in the creek every now and then and all of the bicycles strewn in the dust on the creek pathway, lent the name to the five foot wide, 50 yard creek. Ultimately life took me to Idaho and Montana for incredible fly fishing.

I’ve lived in the southeastern US for a total of 25 years and hooked up with some really excellent fishing partners and good men. Whether fishing the estuaries for seatrout, redfish, flounder and Sheephead or offshore chasing wahoo mahi, grouper or snapper, there was always great fun and fish to filet every trip.

My greatest fly fishing experience was permit, bonefish and a big jack Creavle in Belize where even a journeyman level fly fisher could catch a Grand Slam (yes, the tarpon was small but the pros said it counted!)

Hunting also spanned the USA and the world. Fantastic freelance goose hunting in Alberta, grouse hunting in western Washington, doves in Yakima, Mexico and Zimbabwe (sand goose) were beyond and dream or plan I ever had. Montana has a very special place for sharptails, you just had to watch out for grizzly bears! I surely don’t want to forget woodcock, common snipe and marsh hens in Georgia.

And then there was Africa. I read Robert Ruark as a kid, over and over. I hunted southern bobwhite quail over great pointers, transported by mule drawn carriage. I never imagined that one day I too would hunt dangerous game, as Ruark did, in Zimbabwe and get charged by a pissy bull elephant.

I’m writing this, not to impress, but to say how grateful I am and also to close the door on my incredible opportunitie afield. The Fly Fishing Forum was/is the finest outdoor forum I’ve ever found and I thank all of it’s members for their posts, feedback and experiences.
Thank you.
This is the best way to look back. Feels like a grateful heart and an open hand. I sense you could write a lot more, and I know I'd be down to read. Thanks for this - wise, inspiring, concise, unaffected. This is the way I want to feel about my life.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Stay active.

My MIL moved into assisted living and she has gone downhill pretty fast.
She got lazy/bored and that's when aging caught up to her.
Use it or lose it.

Having your wife with you....it should be easier to stay away from the boob tube and keep your head in the game.

Good luck!

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Sounds like a wonderful fulfilling life. I'm glad you shared a glimpse of it with us! I love your perspective. I'm just barely old enough to remember parts of the era in which you wrote. I grew up at the tail end of the time when leaving a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle at school was something that wasn't an issue. I often went directly from school to the field, and I didn't go to HS in a rural area. I love hearing about people chasing their dreams.