TFO Ti Fly Rod Identification/Age

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm considering buying a TFO rod from a friend who is disposing of rods from cousin's estate. I'm confused by the marking on the rod as it is just labeled as "Ti". Researching on Google, I only find images of rods marked with TiCr or the newer TiCr X. Were early models of the TiCr rod labeled this way?

Any enlightenment would be appreciated!
Ken

TFO Ti 1.jpgTFO Ti 2.jpgTFO Ti 3.jpg

Last edited:

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For the curious, this morning I received the reply below from TFO Canada. Impressive that they still have parts available.

The Ti Rods were the first in the series of Fast action quick recovery rods from about 15 -18 years ago. The Ti was replaced with the TICr, still a black color rod. The TICr rods were a little faster action than the Ti as they had an added Propriety coating that the rod blank was dipped in to make it stronger and faster. The TiCr X rod, Which was blue in color was a dedicated saltwater rod that had bigger guides and a stronger butt section for more lifting power when fishing from a boat. I believe that we still have rod parts. If you have a broken section, we can help.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
For the curious, this morning I received the reply below from TFO Canada. Impressive that they still have parts available.

The Ti Rods were the first in the series of Fast action quick recovery rods from about 15 -18 years ago. The Ti was replaced with the TICr, still a black color rod. The TICr rods were a little faster action than the Ti as they had an added Propriety coating that the rod blank was dipped in to make it stronger and faster. The TiCr X rod, Which was blue in color was a dedicated saltwater rod that had bigger guides and a stronger butt section for more lifting power when fishing from a boat. I believe that we still have rod parts. If you have a broken section, we can help.
I have had excellent service from TFO. Sent in a 5wt (during the depths of the pandemic), to replace a guide that I tore off in a mishap, and they returned it in less than two weeks....and it was a flawless rewrap, not a section replacement.