Talk 360* Flashers/Spin Baits to Me

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Forum Supporter
My brother and I got back into the salmon gear game, bought a boat, and have been getting after fish with all methods, but I am new to this 360 flasher game. Today we hooked up with our first fall nook and I’m sold, it was such an epic grab, but after a couple head shakes she was gone.

I’m struggling with a couple things:

1. When to use 12oz vs 14 or 16….I’m fishing from the D up to the Reach, which I don’t think I need to run 20s, but maybe I do?

Is it more related to the 1-1,000 thump? Or depth?

2. Aside from rigging flashers with breakaways (I get how to retrofit them, I’m working on it) is there a best way to fight fish; should I cut power? Keep trolling speed???

3. More specific to fall chinook in the main stem, what depths/structure should I be targeting and as a rule what depths are these fish suspended?

Any helpful feedback would be appreciated. You can tell me to get fucked, too, I get it 😂

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I Haven't fished above Bonneville so I'm not sure if there's anything different happening up there.

But my fall chinook setup is Pro Troll 360 on a 24-30" bumper. Above the bumper is my slider with 160z ball. If I'm dragging bottom, which is almost always, I run an 18" dropper to my lead from the slider. Behind the flasher is my 30" or so leader to my spinfish.

I troll whatever speed gets my line around 45deg angle.

Edit: also I stopped running breakaways. They're annoying.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
My fishing preference for 360 flashers in lake wallula and the snake would be basically the same as Evan's. I usually go through a couple ball sizes until I get the 45 and the flasher/lure action looks good (i know, very scientific). We have not been up to the reach yet so no help there. My son likes to hit the spot lock on the trolling motor but usually there are not many other boats so we can drift if desired. I don't like trolling in the middle of the river.

Reactions: JS