Tackle Organization in a Boat

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I'm going from a pontoon to a pram. With the pontoon I had all my tackle organized in the pouches. I've been scouring my closets for something to keep my equipment organized in my pram, without success. What advice to do have..

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Wetswinger,

Ive gone to picking up old Camera cases and Lap Top carriers, at Thrift Stores. Different sizes for different storage requirements. Most of them also have removable baffles that create pockets or slits for things to slip into i.e. reels, fly boxes, tippet spools etc.

I hang the bags off my gunnels, with the " Wrap It" a 2 inch velcro wrap available at Walmart, for like 4.00. Keeps the Cases off the floor, out of the way and out of the water.

Have fun with the new pram.

Bob

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
I had a series of containers: A bucket for the anchor line, anchor, and Scotty hardware, a bag (or two) for all the stuff I carried in the toon pouches and my lunch cooler. Keep everything there and you only have a few items to grab for fishing and are much less likely to forget something. The key is to move EVERYTHING. If you need something for another purpose, buy a second. Cheap insurance.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I like this bag: Amazon product ASIN B01LREZ1LK
I replaced the plastic trays with the kind that have zerorust inserts and attached zingers for clippers and pliers to the outside. It has several outpockets that keep leaders and tippet etc. That bag and my fishing vest (vest is usually in the boat in front of me, not worn) provide enough organization for me.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I got one of these recently for storing a lot of my archery/hunting gear, for how much they're charging it's a steal in my opinion. Would easily hold all the fly boxes you'd need for a day on the water plus all the other accessories. Plus it's got the fashionable bass pro logo (when did the bass pro logo become cool BTW?).

I also bring a bucket w/ anchor like Jerry. I like the black square w/ red top craftsman bucket that Lowes currently carries.

For what it's worth, I've got a 20+ year old sage guide line bag that is still kicking and I love it. Used kit bags show up from time to time on ebay, so if you're not in a hurry keep your eyes and ears open on used marketplaces and you might find a great deal.

Might be good to look for at least one dry bag for those days you want to bring a camera (and it's supposed to rain all day) or as a place to stash a few things you don't want to get wet.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I found this Plano box at Home Depot. It's strong and has dividers. It's been really useful for carrying fly boxes, reels tools ... and beer. I'm also considering mounting a pad on top so I can use it as a seat to position me between the benches of my rowboat, which would make it easier to fish and use the trolling motor.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plano-16-qt-Storage-Crate-PLA1071MC/312083542

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sounds weird but I use my normal bags and boxes. Only difference is I put them in coolers. Coolers they either fit under a seat or better yet are level with the top of the seat I can stand on to sight fish and cast from. The lowly cheap cooler is waterproof, sturdy, and multi-purpose.

Attached is an image of the best cooler in the business

images (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

But sold out for now. A bit pricy but lots of space and options, adjustable dividers. love mine, and got on sale....

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
I have a waterproof rolltop boat bag for tackle. I have two of the mesh bags that come with Redington waders for extra anchor line. Let it down to bottom then sinch the top and keep the rest in the bag so I don't trip on it. I like to keep extra rods rigged in a two piece case to keep them out of the way and undamaged. Everything else goes in a waterproof lunch box.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Speaking from my own experience, the more buckles, zip pulls, straps a bag has, the more likely you are to catch them with your line as you after you have stripped it in and are shooting it out on the next cast. I have thought about getting a stripping basket to wear on my boat.

cdnred

Life of the Party
I found this Plano box at Home Depot. It's strong and has dividers. It's been really useful for carrying fly boxes, reels tools ... and beer. I'm also considering mounting a pad on top so I can use it as a seat to position me between the benches of my rowboat, which would make it easier to fish and use the trolling motor.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plano-16-qt-Storage-Crate-PLA1071MC/312083542
That Plano box is a great deal considering you can use it as a dry box with the water and element resistant O-ring seal to keep things secure and dry. Being out on the water, keeping things dry is always a priority. The size is just right as it isn't overly large and can carry 85lbs. On my pontoon, I can easily mount it in the rear basket with a security leash should it fall overboard. I luv the design of it, very handy and the price is a steal..

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Speaking from my own experience, the more buckles, zip pulls, straps a bag has, the more likely you are to catch them with your line as you after you have stripped it in and are shooting it out on the next cast. I have thought about getting a stripping basket to wear on my boat.

Watershed dry bags are a zipper type. They are pretty no frills and ultra high quality.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I have both a Simms large dry creek, and a fishpond cutbank, boat bags. I like the Simms for waterproofness, and the fishpond for capacity. I use the fishpond for trout tackle and the Simms for steelhead.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I now use a semi clear plastic tote. Keeps things dry and easier in my opinion to find what I want in it versus digging around in the waterproof bag I used to use.
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I now use a semi clear plastic tote. Keeps things dry and easier in my opinion to find what I want in it versus digging around in the waterproof bag I used to use.
SF
I use this $8.00 tote:
IMG_2079.jpg
Completely waterproof, very little heat gain in the sun with the yellow/green lid, clamps on each end to keep the lid on if W is an issue. No handles to carry it, no big deal.

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
Boat bags are available in many configurations. I’ve been using a Patagonia great divider for 15 years.
That is what I use for my boat. I have a waterproof daypack where I keep a change of clothes and any electronics, plus my old great divider for all of my fishing gear. The combo comes in handy when it starts to rain or just when everything gets wet, as happens on a boat.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I use this $8.00 tote:
View attachment 55211
Completely waterproof, very little heat gain in the sun with the yellow/green lid, clamps on each end to keep the lid on if W is an issue. No handles to carry it, no big deal.

Very similar to mine.
SF

F246DA74-2218-4F01-BC62-8A3CAD3B747A.jpeg