Super Secret Spring Creek

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
That little island was called Rabbit island because of all the introduced bunnies that used to roam around on it.
We used to kayak out to it, but I just read that it’s now apparently a bird sanctuary and is off limits.

Buzzy, it’s good to see you got out. Don’t mean to hijack the thread.
Those are actually the Moke’s…

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Those are actually the Moke’s…
Ha, I think I’ve been in the cold way too long. I think I’m due for a trip back there to refresh the old memory. Enjoy those trade winds Brute!

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Thanks Jim! Our house is nice and warm, thank goodness! I'm not sure I'm braver, maybe a bit touched in the head.
Your still young. Add about 10 years to your ass and you will slow down a little.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Your still young. Add about 10 years to your ass and you will slow down a little.
Younger, not young. That's sort of relative depending on one's age? I travelled to Alaska in September with my long time friend, he's younger than you at 82. I'm seriously thinking about going fishing after lunch despite the fact that it's snowing hard - no wind (touched in the head, most likely).

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I'm seriously touched in the head - the drive to the super secret spring creek, when it's dry, takes less than 20 minutes, today: 30+ minutes. Snowing hard, slick roads, ruts, ice in places. Not sure why I just didn't stay home and take a nap. -------⬇

IMG_1877.jpg
Lots of snow, no F-Troop beating down the paths and tules

IMG_1875.jpg
Anyone else get their flyline tangled around cattails?

IMG_1874.jpg
Actually, this is why I went out today..........----------^

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
zip, zero, zilch - the pelicans don't know where this super secret spring creek is.
Please let them know about our website. We would love to have them

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I'm seriously touched in the head - the drive to the super secret spring creek, when it's dry, takes less than 20 minutes, today: 30+ minutes. Snowing hard, slick roads, ruts, ice in places. Not sure why I just didn't stay home and take a nap. -------⬇

View attachment 44275
Lots of snow, no F-Troop beating down the paths and tules

View attachment 44276
Anyone else get their flyline tangled around cattails?

View attachment 44277
Actually, this is why I went out today..........----------^
That's a beauty of a rainbow. 😍

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
That's a beauty of a rainbow. 😍
Thanks Fred -
I'm guessing that the big girl was a recently released broodstock hen*. Luckily (for sake of the photographer) the back 2/3 of her body was submerged and I somehow cropped that out as her dorsal fin, what there was of it, isn't visible and her tail? What tail? She's obviously spent most of her time in one of the hatchery raceways.

*Makes me think a pellet fly would be effective ;-)

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Thanks Fred -
I'm guessing that the big girl was a recently released broodstock hen*. Luckily (for sake of the photographer) the back 2/3 of her body was submerged and I somehow cropped that out as her dorsal fin, what there was of it, isn't visible and her tail? What tail? She's obviously spent most of her time in one of the hatchery raceways.

I thought that might be the case.
Still beats staying at home watching Ladin fall in the river! 🤣🤣

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Thanks Fred -

I caught a few like that out of a couple lakes in the 7 Lakes area.. They fight like an old log. In as they just come in.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks Fred -

I appreciate somebody that calls a spade a spade but it’s still more fish than I caught today! Good work making it happen in the cold.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I appreciate somebody that calls a spade a spade but it’s still more fish than I caught today! Good work making it happen in the cold.
I was going to go out again this morning but: it was 14F and that's just too cold. When I fished the SSSC four days ago it was 25-26F and I could get more than a dozen casts before I had to deice the guides. Yesterday it was 23F and I got fewer than 10 casts before the line would not shoot. At 14F? No way, my fingers would have been too stiff to hold the rod even with nitriles and fingerless wool gloves let alone icing the guides.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I was going to go out again this morning but: it was 14F and that's just too cold. When I fished the SSSC four days ago it was 25-26F and I could get more than a dozen casts before I had to deice the guides. Yesterday it was 23F and I got fewer than 10 casts before the line would not shoot. At 14F? No way, my fingers would have been too stiff to hold the rod even with nitriles and fingerless wool gloves let alone icing the guides.
Put Chap stick on your guides. What's in it helps keep ice off. At least I've been told that.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I fished that secret spring creek a few times. My last time there the weather really sucked. Me and Flybill made it up and over Snoqualmie pass before they shut it down. Stopped at the secret creek and we were the only ones there so I fished off the handicap dock. Cast out and let it sit. I waited a few ,minutes and decided to cast out to another spot. Lo and behold I had a fish on . Played it for a few and it got away. Came home over Stevens pass. This was about 16 or 17 years ago.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
While I have driven by Buzzy's Super Secret Spring Creek on many occasions I have never stopped to fish it. It seems like a great relief valve for folks needing a fix for lack of fishing and can provide a badly needed tug at some point. If I was 4 hours closer I would probably do that too.

Freestone and I fish a couple of actual Secret Creeks that don't get 1/100th the traffic of Buzzy's SSSC. We fished one of them about a dozen times last year and saw one other fisherman. On the second creek I don't think we have ever seen anyone. Our window of opportunity is relatively short due to runoff and difficulty of access but the rewards are proportional to the effort. Eventually one of these creeks will be exposed but until then we have built several years of experience and know exactly where to expect fish and how to fish them. It isn't easy as some holding water is good because it is so inaccessible and the fish are relatively safe from our futile efforts to hook them.

Yes, Virginia-there is a Curtis Creek! Find one near you....

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
While I have driven by Buzzy's Super Secret Spring Creek on many occasions I have never stopped to fish it. It seems like a great relief valve for folks needing a fix for lack of fishing and can provide a badly needed tug at some point. If I was 4 hours closer I would probably do that too.

Freestone and I fish a couple of actual Secret Creeks that don't get 1/100th the traffic of Buzzy's SSSC. We fished one of them about a dozen times last year and saw one other fisherman. On the second creek I don't think we have ever seen anyone. Our window of opportunity is relatively short due to runoff and difficulty of access but the rewards are proportional to the effort. Eventually one of these creeks will be exposed but until then we have built several years of experience and know exactly where to expect fish and how to fish them. It isn't easy as some holding water is good because it is so inaccessible and the fish are relatively safe from our futile efforts to hook them.

Yes, Virginia-there is a Curtis Creek! Find one near you....
Ive - RF usually has paths well beaten through all the tules and cattails - “F-troop” blazing the way. What you and Sue have accomplished is, for me, not remotely comparable and light years more interesting, challenging and rewarding. Good on you both!