Super Secret Spring Creek

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
While I have driven by Buzzy's Super Secret Spring Creek on many occasions I have never stopped to fish it. It seems like a great relief valve for folks needing a fix for lack of fishing and can provide a badly needed tug at some point. If I was 4 hours closer I would probably do that too.

Freestone and I fish a couple of actual Secret Creeks that don't get 1/100th the traffic of Buzzy's SSSC. We fished one of them about a dozen times last year and saw one other fisherman. On the second creek I don't think we have ever seen anyone. Our window of opportunity is relatively short due to runoff and difficulty of access but the rewards are proportional to the effort. Eventually one of these creeks will be exposed but until then we have built several years of experience and know exactly where to expect fish and how to fish them. It isn't easy as some holding water is good because it is so inaccessible and the fish are relatively safe from our futile efforts to hook them.

Yes, Virginia-there is a Curtis Creek! Find one near you....
1672851899443.png :):):)

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I tend to drove all over the place when out fishing. There is this one small Creek that I will stop and observe when I drive up a dirt road. There is a break in the cover over said creek. In three years of looking there I found a spot where you can see the water. Each year that I stopped I could see a trout in the water. Each year it was a little bigger. In my advanced age there is no way that I could get there now. The brush is thick and it's down hill to that spot

wetline dave

Steelhead
Super secret spots are a funny thing. Years ago I had one along a very busy road and a turn out barely big enough for my truck. It had a so so path down to the water no signs of a bait fisherman having been there. It's a deep slow pool with a bit of an eddy. There were a few foot prints and about 30 feet of bank to fish from.

One day I pull up and a state rig is parked so I squeeze in behind and walk down to the water and met a game guy I knew. Turned out this was his "secret" hideaway lunch spot. Hence the reason for the foot prints.

I caught a lot of SRC's out of that hole and a couple or three steelhead, maybe more. next to a very busy road. and less than a 30 yard walk down to the river.

Those secret spots are where you find them. Sometimes just an unlikely turnout.

I will take this one to the grave as it is so easy to find. Just look for a pull out and check it out!

If there is a pull out and a trail to the water there might well be a "secret" fishing hole.

Dave

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
some of my arsenal, besides scuds....
my first attempt at some balanced buggers, kind of weak, but I'm gonna try them.

dp
Weak? Naw, fishy! Report when you get home

dep

Steelhead
I always fish the mohairs with confidence. my go to tie.
I plan to fish the balanced bugs more this year.

dep

Steelhead
My Report: I ended up bringing 4 people to fish with me for a few hours. So I knew I would not be getting a lot of fishing time for myself and I was totally fne with that as these kids are new(er) to fly fishing. we worked the middle section and the last section. For us, fishing was slow. I landed two fish and missed a couple. the other 3 hooked up 4 times and landed one of them. the fish we saw were 18-22 inches. two on the scud and one chasing down the bugger.
it was fun to teach and watch the kids (average age 23). was able to get my daughter's female roommate into a fish for a bit as she was figuring out how to cast.
I hated the fog we encountered driving in both directions.
never got to try my balanced leeches. And the scud outfished the bugger.
I had another friend there and he landed 8 or 9 fish as he arrive earlier than us.

Rating: 10 because of the people I was with.

dp

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Were the weeds still blocking the majority of secret stream access? There were hardly any of the usual spots open to fish in mid October.

dep

Steelhead
water is pretty much open. some patches in the some areas, you just slide the fish over them into the net.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I’m referring to the tall cattails/tules growing vertical, blocking access to the stream side.....

Last edited: