Super Secret Spring Creek

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
You know, that super secret spring creek east of the town where I live and west of where @Billy lives? Super secret, it must be because no one was there today.

My wife and I woke up to freezing fog this morning, slick sidewalks, slick driveway and slick sidestreets. The ice coating my truck sort of put a damper on my getting out and doing some fishing. All the lakes that I frequent are now either closed for the season or have this hard layer of water on top. Cabin fever: contagious? I have it, bad. After lunch, I looked out the window and my truck's windshield was still coated with ice. I hit the remote start on the key fob (I try to remember to have the heater set at max fan, defrost and the temp setting max) and a few minutes later no more ice. Muck boots on, fly rod strung, back pack in hand and out the door.

Road 19 and B .5 have compacted snow on them but the road down the hill to the upper ------- at this secret creek was bare, not so with the gravel road between the upper lot and the last lot - very slick.

My winter trick to keep my hands from getting too cold is to string my fly rod up at home, knot on a fly and slip the rigged rod into a sleeve. All I had to do after I got to the crick was put the two pieces together and go for a walk.

IMG_1868.jpg
Echo Base 590, Lamson LP-2, Cortalnd 444 WF5F and............
DSCF2711.JPG

The super secret spring creek is low and slow right now and much of the accessible shoreline has lots of floating weeds tight to the bank. I found a couple places where I could (if I hooked a fish) get the fish to the shoreline for a quick unhooking.

IMG_1869.jpg
It was 25F when I arrived and 25F when I left. At 25F, guides ice up. Dipping my fly rod into the super secret spring creek, lifting it up and banging the reel seat frees guides from ice.

I fished for about an hour. Landed four trout that had been hooked before, still - catching a few fish helped with cabin fever.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Tougher than I am, Pat. Is that a snowball on your leader? ;)

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
You know, that super secret spring creek east of the town where I live and west of where @Billy lives? Super secret, it must be because no one was there today.

My wife and I woke up to freezing fog this morning, slick sidewalks, slick driveway and slick sidestreets. The ice coating my truck sort of put a damper on my getting out and doing some fishing. All the lakes that I frequent are now either closed for the season or have this hard layer of water on top. Cabin fever: contagious? I have it, bad. After lunch, I looked out the window and my truck's windshield was still coated with ice. I hit the remote start on the key fob (I try to remember to have the heater set at max fan, defrost and the temp setting max) and a few minutes later no more ice. Muck boots on, fly rod strung, back pack in hand and out the door.

Road 19 and B .5 have compacted snow on them but the road down the hill to the upper ------- at this secret creek was bare, not so with the gravel road between the upper lot and the last lot - very slick.

My winter trick to keep my hands from getting too cold is to string my fly rod up at home, knot on a fly and slip the rigged rod into a sleeve. All I had to do after I got to the crick was put the two pieces together and go for a walk.

View attachment 44093
Echo Base 590, Lamson LP-2, Cortalnd 444 WF5F and............
View attachment 44094

The super secret spring creek is low and slow right now and much of the accessible shoreline has lots of floating weeds tight to the bank. I found a couple places where I could (if I hooked a fish) get the fish to the shoreline for a quick unhooking.

View attachment 44095
It was 25F when I arrived and 25F when I left. At 25F, guides ice up. Dipping my fly rod into the super secret spring creek, lifting it up and banging the reel seat frees guides from ice.

I fished for about an hour. Landed four trout that had been hooked before, still - catching a few fish helped with cabin fever.
The Ice Man cometh.......
The Ice Man catcheth......
The Ice Man goeth home and warmeth
the hell up. 😆

Greg Price

Steelhead
I used to fish a super secret creek near soap lake just about every month of the year. Snow and cold was my favorite, especially new powder snow. I could see where other fisherpeople had harassed fish by their foot prints. So I avoided that and made my own tracks to o slightly less pressured fish.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I used to fish a super secret creek near soap lake just about every month of the year. Snow and cold was my favorite, especially new powder snow. I could see where other fisherpeople had harassed fish by their foot prints. So I avoided that and made my own tracks to o slightly less pressured fish.
I used the paths tramped down in the snow today - easier walkin’!

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Kudos to you! 25 degrees is super cold for me.
I enjoy reading a recent report on any fishery this time of the year.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Kudos to you! 25 degrees is super cold for me.
I enjoy reading a recent report on any fishery this time of the year.
Ernie -
I really bundled up, hothands in my fingerless wool gloves, nice goose down parka, wool neck/ear gaiter, heated steering wheel, heated seats. I put my Muck boots on the heater vent before I left home. Having the fly rod strung really helps me keep my hands/fingers from getting cold....and... there was no wind, none.

I used to have the "20°F" rule, warmer than 20°F and I could go fishing, colder than that: stay home. Anymore that old rule doesn't work for me. Oh - I only fished for about 45 minutes. ;-)

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
You are a lot braver that I am. It hasn't been even up to the freezing mark many times this past month of November and now Dec. I don't even venture outside in the cold anymore. I go out and start my truck and back my truck up to pack the snow down so getting out isn't a chore.
My house is warm. No use to getting it cool when the door is opened.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
You are a lot braver that I am. It hasn't been even up to the freezing mark many times this past month of November and now Dec. I don't even venture outside in the cold anymore. I go out and start my truck and back my truck up to pack the snow down so getting out isn't a chore.
My house is warm. No use to getting it cool when the door is opened.
Thanks Jim! Our house is nice and warm, thank goodness! I'm not sure I'm braver, maybe a bit touched in the head.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Wabitts no…mongoose yes…
That little island was called Rabbit island because of all the introduced bunnies that used to roam around on it.
We used to kayak out to it, but I just read that it’s now apparently a bird sanctuary and is off limits.

Buzzy, it’s good to see you got out. Don’t mean to hijack the thread.