Stronger spring for Abel click pawl

east high

Freshly Spawned
First time posting here after the big wff exodus.

I’ve been using an Abel creek 2 on my ACR 2wt trout spey. Everything about the pairing is lovely, however the reel could use a bit more drag so to speak. I’m wondering if stiffer springs are available, or if anyone knows if springs from a larger reel could be swapped in?

Thanks-

Divad

Whitefish
B2C3FEE7-7601-44EE-B5C6-3F875FAC9B06.jpeg
For reference the top is on the lowest setting and bottom is medium.

I’d find a replacement spring, order it and bend one yourself if tension nuts don’t fix it. Remove pawl, remove spring, bend, TEMPER and replace. Small adjustment goes a long way.

east high

Freshly Spawned
I double checked and the outgoing nut is on the highest setting. I just shot off an email to Archuleta. I'll give him a call if I don't hear back in a couple days.

Russell

Steelhead
Not over running is all it’s designed to do. I had a Lamson lp light that someone had a stronger spring in by arch. I had to bend it to lighten it up because it ran so rough. The palming rim is there for drag.

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
No, and that's a really good point. I could be putting the cart before the horse with this line of enquiry. Perhaps don't go trying to fix what ain't broke.
Only you can know if tension is too light for your tastes. There isn’t a whole lot to go wrong inside a spring and pawl reel, so if it’s not malfunctioning it’s up to you I guess but light enough to not overrun is usually what you shoot
for. You could always try a stiffer spring and if you don’t like it, swap it back that’s easy enough. Whatever you do, there will still always be a need to use your fingers to apply drag so I don’t think you can escape that. Nice reel tho, I have a TR and it’s hands down my favorite piece of tackle I’ve ever owned.