Streamlining my boat options - NRS Slipstream 96??

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I had these on my raft frame for a number of years for carrying a spare oar before I sold the raft. They worked really well and kept the spare nice and tight to the boat.
SF

Last edited:

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Well, I waited too long on the Slipstream on clearance, so still have the Striker. Put it up for sale a month ago with a bunch of the upgrades (2 rod holders, anchor favor, 2-side bags, 2-sets of oars, new super pump, brand new Aire boat bag, anchor etc…for 2700 and no bites. Realize it’s not the best time of year for a boat to sell.

With money tight, was just hoping to offset the delux 9’6” cost. But appears I’ll be satisfied with my frameless striker!

Sky, I appreciate all the info!
Just got an email from Gig Harbor Fly Shop. They just got a few more in at the lower clearance price: https://gigharborflyshop.com/product/nrs-slipstream-96-raft-standard-pkg/

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Damn that's a great deal. If you have $2236 + tax laying around you could turn a profit on the damn thing! Crazy.

Does anyone have any feedback on the front seat and lean bar? In the pictures & videos I've noticed a couple things-
- lean bar seems to be close to your face when seated.
- lean bar seems to be built for...well, the very lean. ;) I'm big, but fairly skinny. Not sure my ass or legs are fitting in there. Looks tight!
- the front seat seems really close to the rower. It is adjustable, but then the lean bar would be even closer.
- the front seat is really high. Not a biggie, but if Jerry is a big dude and I slam a rock, is Jerry staying in the boat? Haha! Also, I can fit the Striker in my F150 with the canopy on. The height of the Slipstream rockers combined with the height of the front seat, even when folded down might be an issue. At 5'3" wide you have to deflate a bit anyways so maybe no big deal for us old dudes with canopies. Although more and more youngsters are discovering the benefits of truck bed livin.

Again, this is just from looking at the pics and some videos. Would love to hear some reports/reviews from actual action.

I sure wish my Striker had that floor. That thing looks awesome. Probably more stable than the Striker.

MT406

Steelhead
Damn that's a great deal. If you have $2236 + tax laying around you could turn a profit on the damn thing! Crazy.

Does anyone have any feedback on the front seat and lean bar? In the pictures & videos I've noticed a couple things-
- lean bar seems to be close to your face when seated.
- lean bar seems to be built for...well, the very lean. ;) I'm big, but fairly skinny. Not sure my ass or legs are fitting in there. Looks tight!
- the front seat seems really close to the rower. It is adjustable, but then the lean bar would be even closer.
- the front seat is really high. Not a biggie, but if Jerry is a big dude and I slam a rock, is Jerry staying in the boat? Haha! Also, I can fit the Striker in my F150 with the canopy on. The height of the Slipstream rockers combined with the height of the front seat, even when folded down might be an issue. At 5'3" wide you have to deflate a bit anyways so maybe no big deal for us old dudes with canopies. Although more and more youngsters are discovering the benefits of truck bed livin.

Again, this is just from looking at the pics and some videos. Would love to hear some reports/reviews from actual action.

I sure wish my Striker had that floor. That thing looks awesome. Probably more stable than the Striker.
Here a picture for perspective.

1705021658157.jpeg

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Haha! Yeah, that's one of the videos I watched that spurred on my concerns. Looks like the lean bar is not in his face, but still looks really close. And his seat can't go any farther back.
One thing this pic made me think about. The tubes are bigger than the Striker and the rockers are also more aggressive/higher so it appears the inside length is probably less than the Striker. Not sure. Maybe those guys are just really big dudes. Looks tighter than my Striker to me.
I still want that floor! :LOL:

DKL

Steelhead
That front seat is deluxe. The passenger should be pretty comfortable. Sitting in mine when I mocked it up I didn’t feel like there was less room than the striker, I thought there was more room actually. But as I mentioned earlier in the thread, that may have been because of the openness to the sides because there is only one bar supporting the seat. It may not really have any more room to the front of the seat. I sure didn’t get the impression that it was much different than the striker though. I do think a big dude might have a little tough time getting his legs in the horns of the lean bar. Although I’m 6’1”, I’m not a big guy by any means, and I had to angle myself in More than I would have liked. I think a big guy would fit, it just wouldn’t be a super quick in and out. But back to that plush front seat, it is really nice and your passenger should be very comfortable.

One other thing I think I’ll really appreciate is more flexibility in how I carry my Spey rods. On the striker I use the Scotty mounts on the left side so one is right next to the passenger and one next to the rower. For the slipstream I got a couple of the NRS utility Clampit mounts that I can attach the rod holders to. That provides me with a lot of flexibility as to where I can put them. I like that I can have them both up next to the passenger on one side, that way they don’t extend beyond the end of the raft.

MT406

Steelhead

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I picked up my raft yesterday but I'm still trying to figure out which oars/blades to get. The guys at Gig Harbor Fly Shop were apparently running the 96 with 7 foot oars which seems small compared to the 8 foot setup the deluxe package came with. I will be buying a spare as well and super confused as a beginner as there's conflicting information and few people running different setups. If you guys were a complete beginner what would be your move? Might be a dumb question but would it be easy to attach a one piece spare to the side of the raft as well instead of opting for a 2 piece setup and stowing it on the raft? Thanks for any advice. I'm 6 foot and 170lbs if that matters at all.
I was a beginner last year. So I still am lol. But I ran my 10.5' raft alot last year.

In my heavy research before and after buying the raft, everything pointed towards kbo were too small.
I found it to not be the case at all. I love them. I'm smaller side, 5'8 and 140 lbs. But I have yet to be in a situation where they were an issue.

I just strap my 2 pc outcast spare oar to the side of my frame, against the outer wall of the raft using basic straps. Never had an issue in transport or on the water.
I can take a pic if you want.
Seems to be the same concept as buying a more expensive nrs type oar storage strap.

I'm also running basic water, nothing over class 2 really.

I'd buy the kbos again in a heart beat if I had to.