Started up on the 3rd pull... (the "winter is done" boat thread)

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I don't know if this deserves a whole thread, but I was stoked to take my little outboard out for a quick shakedown yesterday and have it start up third pull after sitting all winter.

Smoked a little on startup and ran a little rough for a bit, but smoothed out pretty quickly ("smooth" being relative for a 25+ year old engine) and scooted me around the lake like normal.

Now it's time to get on some fish...

C55BD0AD-795B-4EC7-8C16-56C99E9911AD.jpeg

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
I don't know if this deserves a whole thread, but I was stoked to take my little outboard out for a quick shakedown yesterday and have it start up third pull after sitting all winter.

Smoked a little on startup and ran a little rough for a bit, but smoothed out pretty quickly ("smooth" being relative for a 25+ year old engine) and scooted me around the lake like normal.

Now it's time to get on some fish...

View attachment 58120

Congratulations! Dodged a bullet. Nice clean boat.

So what lake is this? I’m thinking about dragging my 15’ fiberglass boat up to power around a lake and take my son fishing this spring. (@ WWU). Is Lake Whatcom with a try? Any other lakes for a 40hp outboard?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Congratulations! Dodged a bullet. Nice clean boat.

So what lake is this? I’m thinking about dragging my 15’ fiberglass boat up to power around a lake and take my son fishing this spring. (@ WWU). Is Lake Whatcom with a try? Any other lakes for a 40hp outboard?
Annoyingly, whatcom is closed until the statewide opener. But well worth fishing for smallmouth or kokanee (if you like that game). It's absolutely big enough for a 40hp. If you go on a sunny summer weekend, you'll be dodging wakeboard boats with 5 times that amount of HP.

Samish is really the only other bigger boat lake in the county. Bass and apparently kokanee in there as well. But kind of an annoying launch (no dock).

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
Annoyingly, whatcom is closed until the statewide opener. But well worth fishing for smallmouth or kokanee (if you like that game). It's absolutely big enough for a 40hp. If you go on a sunny summer weekend, you'll be dodging wakeboard boats with 5 times that amount of HP.

Samish is really the only other bigger boat lake in the county. Bass and apparently kokanee in there as well. But kind of an annoying launch (no dock).
Thanks for the rundown Josh!

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
The first time out each spring always comes with a little apprehension. Will it start? Will it run? What did sitting all winter do to my boat? Did the gas go bad?

Always a relief when everything is as it should be..
Look forward to seeing a bunch of fish caught from that craft.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Will do! That would be a fun morning with Max. I’m getting the boat dialed in, so be great to use the downriggers!
Lakes Samish and Whatcom require AIS
Aquatic invasive species permit from the city of Bellingham to boat on either lake.
Not sure what the cost is, probably around 60 bucks.
If you're only going to fish a time or two you may not want to buy one. I haven't got one for a couple years but I likely will this year.
Link to the online course is attached.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Lakes Samish and Whatcom require AIS Aquatic invasive species permit from the city of Bellingham to boat on either lake.
Not sure what the cost is, probably around 60 bucks.
If you're only going to fish a time or two you may not want to buy one. I haven't got one for a couple years but I likely will this year.
@Jeff Dodd

AIS fees are here:

$60/yr for bigger boats, $30yr for under 16ft and 10hp or less. They also have $10/day permits if you think you are just coming up once or twice. You can also get $10 off the yearly if you take a little online invasive species course.

They do have AIS checkers at both launches all summer. Kind of a pain in the ass, but Lk Whatcom is the city's drinking water source (and Lk Samish for part of the county). To that end, I suspect that zebra snails are what they are really worried about, given their ability to clog intake pipes etc. But there is already Eurasian millfoil, NZ mud snails, and asian clams in the county's lakes.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Ahh, the ecstacy/relief when your outboard starts after a long winter. :D Doubly satisfying when it's a pull start. Sweating it out trying to start a grumpy motor is one of my least favorite things. I used to struggle with my Merc 25/20 jet and finally learned (right before I traded it in) the secret choke sequence to effectively prime it without flooding. My current Tohatsu's and I are on the same page, and thankfully they rarely take more than 2-3 pulls before the growl to life. Congrats Evan . . .nice 'start' to the warm season!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Ahh, the ecstacy/relief when your outboard starts after a long winter. :D Doubly satisfying when it's a pull start. Sweating it out trying to start a grumpy motor is one of my least favorite things. I used to struggle with my Merc 25/20 jet and finally learned (right before I traded it in) the secret choke sequence to effectively prime it without flooding. My current Tohatsu's and I are on the same page, and thankfully they rarely take more than 2-3 pulls before the growl to life. Congrats Evan . . .nice 'start' to the warm season!
I appreciate the kind words, but I deserve no such congratulations. Those all belong to @Josh .

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I appreciate the kind words, but I deserve no such congratulations. Those all belong to @Josh .
On the other hand, maybe he's saying you should be my official outboard starter, winter pit-toilet seat warmer, foul hooked rotting chum releaser, etc.