SFR Squirrels (Thread of month contender)

Sorta fishing-related

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have waged war upon these creatures of the afternoon. Fuckers wont let me grow anything on my deck so the gloves are off. I plan on making a small version of these for my deck. The music was extra inspiring.

ps this is totally sorta fishing related cause we use squirrels for fly tying

BriGuy

Life of the Party
I have waged war upon these creatures of the afternoon. Fuckers wont let me grow anything on my deck so the gloves are off. I plan on making a small version of these for my deck. The music was extra inspiring.

ps this is totally sorta fishing related cause we use squirrels for fly tying

Trade ya my moles for your squirrels.

I have six traps set in the front yard. Do they make good dubbing?

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In town, city setting, a .177 pellet does wonders. Had the damn things in our W. Seattle attic, set up a bait station, done.
In some (many?) cities, discharging a pellet gun is same as a firearm. Guy in California got a year in prison for shooting a feral cat; cruelty to animal and discharge of a firearm in city limits.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There used to be lots of squirrels around my house but now I can seldom find one to shoot at. To end the scourge I bought a $50 Crosman 1377 and modified the crap out of it and installed a red dot scope. It is unbelievably accurate, something thousands of owners will attest to.

Last week my granddaughter-who has never shot before-was knocking down beer cans at about 80'! It has taken out not only squirrels but ground squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks-all of which seem to want to live under my decks. With trigger components polished to a mirror finish with diamond paste and a wide hardwood trigger cap it can be shot without the usual hard pull of the stock trigger. Just put the red dot on the victim and gently squeeze the trigger and it is dead.
Fun to build, fun to shoot!

Uptonogood

PNW raised
In some (many?) cities, discharging a pellet gun is same as a firearm. Guy in California got a year in prison for shooting a feral cat; cruelty to animal and discharge of a firearm in city limits.
There’s a bit of difference between an outdoor feral cat and a gray squirrel inside destroying my house. I’ve done a bit of professional animal damage control including blackbird roosts, beaver, raccoon, I’ve seen a house that burned to the ground in a fire ignited by a squirrel or pack rat chewing on wiring. Thankfully, no one was home at the time.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Douglas squirrels are native to my little forest stand. A few years back, the invasive exotic gray squirrels started expanding into my neighborhood. So I bought a pellet gun - based on Ive's reviews and selection - to control the invasive squirrels. That was my game plan. Unfortunately it turns out that my vision, even with eyeglasses, isn't as good as when I was a youngster. Short story: I'm not a good enough shot to hit the damn things consistently.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My wife is going to shit at how many other like minded individuals have come forward to comfort and support me. I am now finding that the little bastards know the sound of the bb's rattling in my red rider bb gun. I am going to have to get my shooting mat out and sniper suit and use an air rifle that is a little more silent.

RCF

Life of the Party
I’ve trapped and relocated dozens of them. Then just shot them in the trap and dumped them I the trash. I let the Douglas and Flying squirrels go.

My FIL trapped them. He thought there were only a couple. He would trap them, relocate them across Lake Washington via the floating bridge to the Arboretum.

51 trips in 3 days ---> he gave up!

Last edited:

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I prefer to shoot them as they work their way down my fence.
.22 pellet gun.

Uptonogood

PNW raised
Now, I have taken gray squirrels with a .177 pellet and one of these with a little larger projectile…A miss or poor shot placement on a squirrel doesn’t produce truly deadly negative outcomes. The squirrels were training grounds and squirrel head stew really isn’t as bad as it sounds.

Attachments

• 9D005861-04D0-48A4-9C4B-2E1CE6DB0BD5.jpeg
    9D005861-04D0-48A4-9C4B-2E1CE6DB0BD5.jpeg
    875 KB · Views: 27

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
The squirrel tribe we've had here for the past 7 plus years are disappearing, as well as the rabbits and many of the birds... we suddenly have an influx of roaming , feral, cats. Even the crows have stopped showing up.
Animal services won't touch the problem. And its illegal to implement an air gun eradication program. Being that this side of town doesnt get a lot of police presence, maybe its time for a 1322/1377 .