Squalicom Lake

Went out to the lake today. They provided a v bottom aluminum boat with one broken oar and one oar I rough shape.

I’m super excited to go fishing so I pushed that v bottom off into the water after I turning it around.

I go to step off in it, the boat rolled and off in the lake I go. I stand up now very wet and get back in the boat.

I push off right into a plethora of lily pads that stop the boat. Having only one oar, getting the boat out to open water was a chore but I made it. Now I’m thirsty and noticed I left my water in the truck.

I grab my reel and go to run the line through the eyelets but the line is all tangled up at the reel. After fixing this and finally tying the fly on the line I realized that all the casting I’ve done has been while standing up and I am having the hardest time casting while sitting down.
Mind you I don’t really want to roll out the boat again.

After some time I decide to go home. I line the boat up with where I want it on the shore and I know I have to go through all those lily pads again. I thought I’d get going as fast as I could but with only one oar that ended up being kinda slow so like a tractor in low gear I chugged to the shore.

Hear I sit knowing that once I stand up in the boat it is going to roll and I might get thrown. I try to guess the roll maybe like a bull rider tries to guess the turn. Anyway it rolled I lost my balance, my magnetic release for my all wood fly fishing net gave way and I stepped on it and broke it in half.

At this point I just stepped out onto the water, drug the boat to shore, stored it out of the way and went home.

Still a great day.

Attachments

• 0E7EA439-CE56-4C9F-9B38-07480472AB00.jpeg
    0E7EA439-CE56-4C9F-9B38-07480472AB00.jpeg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 34

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’ve never fished there, so can you enlighten us on who “they” are that provided a boat with a broken oar.
Hopefully not a resort. ;)
Tough day but way to fight through it.
SF

RCF

Life of the Party
I am sure the people that provided the boat are appreciative that you washed it for them.... My motto - Always return items in equal or better shape than when you received it.

Last edited:

Tom.S

Smolt
I’ve never fished there, so can you enlighten us on who “they” are that provided a boat with a broken oar.
Hopefully not a resort. ;)
Tough day but way to fight through it.
SF
It is run by a local fly fishing club and is for use by the public. They support fly fishing. Since this didn’t cost me anything I am thankful for the opportunity. I can bring my own oars next time should I go back. I was informed if the boat is not chained then it is for public use. It is considered a blue ribbon lake.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
It is run by a local fly fishing club and is for use by the public. They support fly fishing. Since this didn’t cost me anything I am thankful for the opportunity. I can bring my own oars next time should I go back. I was informed if the boat is not chained then it is for public use. It is considered a blue ribbon lake.

Has to be a set-up.
Is there a hidden camera and they show the video at the next club meeting of people trying to fish out of the one oar boat. ;) 😂
SF

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Hi @Tom.S,

good to hear you didn't drown falling out of one of those boats . (y)

I'm assuming you're referring to FCFF, regarding the lakes' caretakers, but I had no idea they had a boat up for grabs. I don't know if I'd use much of what's laying around there, cuz half of them seem abandoned and rotted. ;)

I'm no great fly fisher but I've had fun there in the past. I wouldn't consider it blue ribbon, but more of a fun, close, semi-secluded lake that could be a hoot on a late summer/early fall evening.

That said, I haven't been there since last summer for a couple reasons. First, like you noted, the lily pads are taking over the lake and, second, I suspect the bigger (14"-15") fish did not survive the June ‘21 heat dome. I suppose the fish that did survive could have grown a bunch in the last 15 months so I hope you caught them up after drying out. :)

Keep your eyes peeled for the eagles and osprey (if they're still around)....they'll sneak up behind you and steal your fish :p

Mike d

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Tom,

Thanks for entertaining us with your experience, and I'm sorry that your fishing adventure didn't work out so well. I'm not certain, but given how things went, I have to wonder of maybe you're just not cut out to fly fish. I have met a few people who, no matter the coaching and instruction, simply cannot learn to fly cast, cannot tie a blood or barrel knot in their leaders or learn to tie a cinch knot that stays tied. Some people just seem to lack the balance and dexterity to stand in a small boat or wade in a stream without falling down. Some can't seem to get the idea that there is a right way to have the line come off the fly reel before threading it through the guides (all of them) or maintain line and leader so that they are not perpetually tangled.

If you are one of these people you have my deepest sympathy. If, on the other hand, you possess ordinary dexterity and skill, but had a one-day run in with the worst possible luck that you survived without injury, well then, thanks again for the entertainment!