Spool corrosion 🤔

Eyejuggler

High bank poacher
Forum Supporter
Howdy peeps,
I did a search to no avail. 😟
My SRC reel is diligently soaked and dried every time I go out.
However after stripping the backing I noticed some corrosion in a couple of spots.
I would most appreciate any tips on cleaning and preserving!

PXL_20221107_194730128-01.jpegPXL_20221107_194652388-01.jpeg

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Appears your backing is retaining saltwater (if you are fishing the salt heavily) and the corrosive action is taking place over time. Backing? Braid or Dacron? Corrosion is an equal opportunity foe.
I had problems in the past on my Pate reels when I started using PP braid. Since changing to Seaguar 16 strand Threadlock hollow and stripping every saltwater spool I own 20+, each winter haven’t had a problem with corrosion.
I use Dacron on my fresh water reels but strip those also.
The problem now is creating space for a bunch of old large mono spools I store backing on in the off-season. 😏
Before I reload for fishing season I also apply a marine wax to each spool, buff it best I can, line section, external, but not drag side.
Hope that helps. Good luck

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Great advice above.

Boeshield was developed by Boeing to protect critical parts of their planes. It’s an excellent product and I’ve used it for years on my saltwater reels. Even on the cheap old antique reels I use that weren’t made for the salt they show no sign of corrosion at all. It’s not cheap but it’s amazing stuff,

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
^^^^^ what Greg said.
Great stuff. Can on the workbench - can on the boat!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Great advice above.

Boeshield was developed by Boeing to protect critical parts of their planes. It’s an excellent product and I’ve used it for years on my saltwater reels. Even on the cheap old antique reels I use that weren’t made for the salt they show no sign of corrosion at all. It’s not cheap but it’s amazing stuff,

this stuff! I have an older Medalist that I used extensively for surf perch when I fished for them regularly and there is zero corrosion on it.

Chucker

Steelhead
I agree that boeshield is great stuff, but once corrosion like that has got started, is it enough to stop it? My experience (admittedly with lower quality reels) is that it isn’t, and the corrosion just keeps on going where it has started. Is there any way to neutralize the chemistry causing the corrosion? Would a coating help? Re-anodize?

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
+1 on the Boeshield, stuff is awesome.

Nice looking reel, what is it? I thought at first it as one of the old Orvis Mach reels, but the handle is different.

Eyejuggler

High bank poacher
Forum Supporter
+1 on the Boeshield, stuff is awesome.

Nice looking reel, what is it? I thought at first it as one of the old Orvis Mach reels, but the handle is different.
Hatch fanatic v1. Several years old and one trip to Hatch for an overhaul!

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The new Hatch Iconic reels have ported spool arbors to help alleviate the issue you encountered.
Great reels, ergonomically designed, easily cleaned and serviced. Like the one piece body with machined reel seat. No screws to lose and structurally stronger.

Bagman

Steelhead
Ok I’m going to step in here after having surgery on my thumb, so I spent sometime researching braid fishing line as well as Dacron it seems that Dacron is prone to bacteria which could be what has happen to your spool.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Have any of you tried things like soaking the spool in salt away or similar products? I used to use that for rinsing my scuba stuff, and I may be superstitious but I thought it helped. Not sure how it would affect a fly line... maybe someone out there knows firsthand?

Eyejuggler

High bank poacher
Forum Supporter
Ok I’m going to step in here after having surgery on my thumb, so I spent sometime researching braid fishing line as well as Dacron it seems that Dacron is prone to bacteria which could be what has happen to your spool.
Soo random sounding but plausible...cleaning and sealing with some hard coat like SHHN.
I'll be super extra now to fully rinse and dry!

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Soo random sounding but plausible...cleaning and sealing with some hard coat like SHHN.
I'll be super extra now to fully rinse and dry!
Had it happen to both Dacron and braid, however……..the braid it happened with was Power Pro after they had started using some wax-like ingredient making it kind of tacky. Would have been back in the 1900’s 😅 though.
As I mentioned before In the salt I only use Seaguar threadlock 16 denier for both fly reel backing and conventional/ spinning reels. It’s not cheap but then again either is a Tibor, Hatch, or Charlton. Dacron on fresh water.
Each one stripped every winter.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Many years ago I fished Pass Lake on a beautiful October day. Later that day after I returned home and my gear was dry I stored away my gear. Fast forward to following year in March,
getting ready to go to Eastern Washington 3/1 opener. Pulled my
Lamson out and almost dropped it. It was full of mold. Some of the ported holes were solid in greenish white mold webbing.
🤮
Stripped everything off and scrubbed the reel.. New backing and a washed fly line and a couple hours later it was good to go.
It appeared that it grew on/from the Dacron backing I had on. The fly line and outer reel was mostly fine.