Spinner Blades on Flies?

N. Metz

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Anybody tie spinner blades into their flies? I'm thinking about adding spinner blades to some musky flies. Figure It'll grab their attention a bit better. The gear guys use big ass spinner blades; sometimes two of em.

Thanks

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
yes

Gapen-s-Flick-Fly-Orange-and-White-1080.jpg

Flashy-Ass-Woolly-Bugger-Variant-800.jpg

Pistol-Pete-1080.jpg

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
My neighbor does that for bass. He ties them on behind the eye of the hook on his streamers. I did not get a close look to see exactly how he did it, but it seems to work very well.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
@Cowlitz Bottomfeeder posted a good looking one. Maybe he can help. Post #613

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I've tried smile blades on my muskie flies, but I didn't catch any. Haven't caught many without the blaces, TBF, but I don't know anyone here who uses them.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I do know a musky guide that uses treble hooks on his flies but with one of the three hooks cut off. He attaches them to split rings that are on the shanks he ties his fly's on. Musky fishing ain't trout fishing. Different animal

... but, is it still fly fishing? I wasn't being critical, just asking (somewhat tongue in cheek) where folks draw the line between the two.

Caught a whole lot of bass spin fishing (w/Mitchell 300 and a glass St. Croix flyrod) on a good old Wardens Rooster Tail in the late '60's BTW. Worked rather well.

N. Metz

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
... but, is it still fly fishing? I wasn't being critical, just asking (somewhat tongue in cheek) where folks draw the line between the two.

Caught a whole lot of bass spin fishing (w/Mitchell 300 and a glass St. Croix flyrod) on a good old Wardens Rooster Tail in the late '60's BTW. Worked rather well.
Is a fly with a spinner blade tied in, casted on a fly rod, stripped back in, fly fishing? I think so. Why wouldn't it be? It's just a little spinner blade

Billy's bass popper with added spinner blade sure looks like a fly to me. Some people tie rattles into their flies, is that cheating?

I've fished for a lot of different fish with a fly rod and the gear, techniques, and fly's definitely change. Casting a 14 weight for sailfish and large dorado with a 500 or 550 grain line is a lot different than casting a size 18 dry with a 4 weight for trout. Different gear but the common denominator is a fly rod, fly line, stripping in a fly that I tied to imitate something the fish I'm fishing for likes to eat.

Now fishing with a blade probably isn't considered kosher by all but I think most would consider it kosher.

EDIT: Unintentionally came off like an ass

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Personally, I don't. They would screw up the action I'm after on my flies. But if they add to the action you're going for, and can still cast it easily, why not?

Re: split ring stuff, I have several that I've tied that way. Long shank, couple of split rings, free flowing hook off the back. They don't work any better or worse than my standard single. I've honestly never gotten why you'd want a treble hanging back there. It's just one additional thing for materials to hang up on not to mention one additional sharp thing in a mouth full of sharp things.

N. Metz

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Personally, I don't. They would screw up the action I'm after on my flies. But if they add to the action you're going for, and can still cast it easily, why not?

Re: split ring stuff, I have several that I've tied that way. Long shank, couple of split rings, free flowing hook off the back. They don't work any better or worse than my standard single. I've honestly never gotten why you'd want a treble hanging back there. It's just one additional thing for materials to hang up on not to mention one additional sharp thing in a mouth full of sharp things.
Yeah I tied a few with split rings but found they fouled. The spinner blade would mess up the action of the flies I usually tie; I'd have to design something new.

This dude uses the split rings so he can change hooks if they dull

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Yeah I tied a few with split rings but found they fouled. The spinner blade would mess up the action of the flies I usually tie; I'd have to design something new.

This dude uses the split rings so he can change hooks if they dull
Yeah, I have one of his flies. It doesn't foul, but it's too much for what need.

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
I've got some of those propeller blades too. Do you find that beads on either side is the best way to make em spin adequately?
I’ve tied a bunch of pistol petes on tmc 5262 #8 for cutthroat. Those work really well with one 1/8 brass bead behind the propeller.