Spey Flies for the Olympic Peninsula

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 12.41.57 PM.png
I make it over to the peninsula once each spring. Here are the steelhead flies I carry with me. Syd Glasso spey patterns. Half the Wheatley is Black Heron Spey flies.
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 12.43.35 PM.png
Half the Wheatley is Sol Duc wet flies and Polar Shrimp wet flies.
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 12.44.17 PM.png
There's something magical about running a spey fly down this run where Syd Glasso invented and first fished the Sol Duc Spey.
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 12.50.27 PM.png
Dennis Worley gave me a Mr Glasso spey fly tied by Glasso disciple Dick Wentworth. I foolishly fished and lost it. Massive regrets.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
View attachment 1355
I make it over to the peninsula once each spring. Here are the steelhead flies I carry with me. Syd Glasso spey patterns. Half the Wheatley is Black Heron Spey flies.
View attachment 1364
Half the Wheatley is Sol Duc wet flies and Polar Shrimp wet flies.
View attachment 1365
There's something magical about running a spey fly down this run where Syd Glasso invented and first fished the Sol Duc Spey.
View attachment 1366
Dennis Worley gave me a Mr Glasso spey fly tied by Glasso disciple Dick Wentworth. I foolishly fished and lost it. Massive regrets.
Great selection. Looks like a Wheately I have I use on the OP.

Divad

Whitefish
Boy those are a beauty Dave! Maybe out of habit I go to the leeches/intruders or it’s water clarity. Do you still throw those on 2-4ft vis glacial melt? Guess could go with a smaller stepping window in between casts.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Boy those are a beauty Dave! Maybe out of habit I go to the leeches/intruders or it’s water clarity. Do you still throw those on 2-4ft vis glacial melt? Guess could go with a smaller stepping window in between casts.
Divad, I admit I sometimes go to large tube flies and have even fished shank flies in the past on the Queets or Hoh when the water is really milky. Will post some tube flies tomorrow. But why not fish a timeless classic in clear water?