Speckled quill (Callibaetis) dun

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I was visiting McLane Creek with my wife when I noticed this speckled quill (Callibaetis) dun drying its exoskeleton on the rail of the platform that extends into the pond. I pulled out my TG5 and took advantage of its great macro capabilities to capture a few images.
C07CallibaetisMayfly_4150051.jpg

CallibaetisMayfly_4150049.jpg
CallibaetisMayfly_4150055.jpg
Steve

Attachments

• CallibaetisMayfly_4150046.jpg
    CallibaetisMayfly_4150046.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hi James,
Very nice tie. I am a fan of a biot-bodied parachute fly when in a Callibaetis hatch.
Steve

I really like biot bodies too, for pretty much any mayfly hatch. Can never go wrong with a biot comparadun!

I lay a layer of super glue down before wrapping my biots, but even then they aren't the most durable fly out there.

The body on the fly above is actually wool that I purchased from Flora & Fauna Farms. It come loose, and some of the colors they offer are "speckled"...i.e. every fiber is a little different, but the overall color is tan. I like the variegated look it gives on bodies, without having to do any mixing, blending, or using different colored fibers as Ribbing. And, I just like to experiment!

Taxon

Steelhead
Forum Legend
I was visiting McClane Creek with my wife when I noticed this speckled quill (Callibaetis) dun drying its exoskeleton on the rail of the platform that extends into the pond. I pulled out my TG5 and took advantage of its great macro capabilities to capture a few images.
Hi Steve-

Great photos. Incidentally, I believe this female subimago to be Callibaetis ferrugineus hageni. Could you expand a bit on the macro capabilities of your Olympus TG5? Also, I see a TG6 has come out. Would there be any macro-related advantages or disadvantages with it?

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Hi Roger,
The TG6 is a slightly updated model of the TG5. I believe that one of its biggest upgrades over the TG5 is WIFI which enable you to download photographs electronically. It also has better video resolution. In macro mode, either model can focus as close as 1cm to the object with a maximum magnification of 44.4x. There are four different macro modes including focus stacking which combined 3-10 images into a single image with more depth of field or focus bracketing which takes 30 images that can be combined on post-production to also increase depth of field. You can purchase an LED light guide which transforms the light from the LED light source into a ring around the lens for even lighting when up tight to a subject. There is also a light guide for the flash.
The camera is waterproof to 50' (even deeper with an underwater housing). It is also very tough - drop-proof from 5+ feet. It has been my primary fishing camera for several years. The fish and bug shots that you have seen from me on this site and old site were taken with the TG5 primarily. And I have used it extensively as a dive camera in Australia, Hawaii, and Belize.
I have had my TG5 for at least five years. I fear that Olympus will not upgrade this model any further because of the capability of phone cameras. When my TG5 dies, I will certainly purchase a TG6 as a replacement.
Steve

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
My wife and I took advantage of a window of dry weather to head out of McLane Creek. There were midges and Callibaetis mayflies emerging and I managed this picture of a dun drying its wings.
CallibaetisDun1348.jpg
Steve

Last edited: