Sow bugs

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
Pending fires, droughts, and fate I'm off to fish the Missouri for a week in the Fall, sow bugs on tiny indicators are the way so seems. Been looking online but would love to see what are the patterns folks on here might recommend so I can tie up a nice selection for me and my friends.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Pending fires, droughts, and fate I'm off to fish the Missouri for a week in the Fall, sow bugs on tiny indicators are the way so seems. Been looking online but would love to see what are the patterns folks on here might recommend so I can tie up a nice selection for me and my friends.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
There’s one from the Big Horn called the “Ray Charles” supposed to be so effective that a blind man could catch fish with it.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I bought a couple varieties of sow bugs at Headhunters in Craig, this one is what I think they called the Ray Charles. We did use it and caught fishDSCF2604.JPG

It seemed the beadless tie (lower right) were more effective. We were there in April not autumn. Good luck.

DSCF2603.JPG

Last edited:

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yea I’ve generally made flies like @Buzzy showed in the pic above. You can build up and underbody with something (I use aunt Lydia’s rug yard but you could use lead or non lead strips or some other craft store yarn), the dubbing loop some sow scud dubbing, wrap, pick it out and trim top and bottom. Extra fancy points of you want to coat the top with uv or pull a scud back (or plastic bag ie a strip from a fly tying material bag) over the back. I have used lt rainbow, orange, pink, olive, gray and have caught on all.

Last edited:

claude

Smolt
Forum Supporter

Thanks in advance,

Dave
You should check out the Trout Crack scud pattern. Its an easy tie.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm a big fan of Davie McPhail's patterns...he has a great grayling/nymph bug pattern that may fit the bill...

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
Thanks all for some great ideas. David Mcphail, bloody hell. The guy makes me so jealous with his skill. I looked up the fly below, it’s so simple and yet a work of art. I’ll start to tie up a load soon and share my efforts with the board

Dave

Hobbyranch

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks all for some great ideas. David Mcphail, bloody hell. The guy makes me so jealous with his skill. I looked up the fly below, it’s so simple and yet a work of art. I’ll start to tie up a load soon and share my efforts with the board

Dave

Thanks Dave. Great video

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

Dave

You might need an interpreter…