Some of the past.

Chris M

Steelhead
My father was a fly fisherman, steams and small rivers like the Bumping, American, Naches, and the Tieton. Mom complained he went fishing on their honey moon. He didn't teach my brother and I how to fly fish, we learned by watching. He fished hardware store bamboo and one glass rod that I still have. He past away in 1978 . My brother and I fished some of those hardware rods, no brand and cheap. In a batch of bamboo I got recently was one of those rods. I striped it down, rewrapped, new cork, reel seat and varnish. At 7 1/2 feet the tip is 6" short but no matter. I'm giving it to my brother in May for his 68th birthday to do what ever he wishes with it. He may just look at and flex it, which might be good because it's a club.DSCF0018.JPG

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
My father was a fly fisherman, steams and small rivers like the Bumping, American, Naches, and the Tieton. Mom complained he went fishing on their honey moon. He didn't teach my brother and I how to fly fish, we learned by watching. He fished hardware store bamboo and one glass rod that I still have. He past away in 1978 . My brother and I fished some of those hardware rods, no brand and cheap. In a batch of bamboo I got recently was one of those rods. I striped it down, rewrapped, new cork, reel seat and varnish. At 7 1/2 feet the tip is 6" short but no matter. I'm giving it to my brother in May for his 68th birthday to do what ever he wishes with it. He may just look at and flex it, which might be good because it's a club.View attachment 11563
At 6 inches down it will be a club. A tip down and inch or two is ok but beyond that is a problem. Nice of you to fix it up though.

Chris M

Steelhead
At 6 inches down it will be a club. A tip down and inch or two is ok but beyond that is a problem. Nice of you to fix it up though.
Thanks for the information. Built some rods back in the late 80s and just starting to dabble in bamboo. This one was good to start getting my skills back.