Smoking Cheese

Cliff

Steelhead
Hello, any tips for smoking cheese? Things to watch for, etc.? I smoked some Tillamook sharp cheddar and pepper jack last night in my Little Chief. I followed a youtube video suggestion where they place a pan of ice cubes on the second rack from the top, and the cheese on the top rack, and then you leave a crack about an inch wide between the lid and the smoker. I burned one pan of hickory chips, turning the cheese over once during it's time in the smoker. Refrigerated overnight and just tried it, it's really pretty good. I was wondering if I should freeze it - does frozen cheese crumble and get nasty? Or just refrigerate it in ziplocks? Just asking because I'm interested in long-term preserving. Thank you.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Hello, any tips for smoking cheese? Things to watch for, etc.? I smoked some Tillamook sharp cheddar and pepper jack last night in my Little Chief. I followed a youtube video suggestion where they place a pan of ice cubes on the second rack from the top, and the cheese on the top rack, and then you leave a crack about an inch wide between the lid and the smoker. I burned one pan of hickory chips, turning the cheese over once during it's time in the smoker. Refrigerated overnight and just tried it, it's really pretty good. I was wondering if I should freeze it - does frozen cheese crumble and get nasty? Or just refrigerate it in ziplocks? Just asking because I'm interested in long-term preserving. Thank you.
Best practice would be to vac seal the cheese in large blocks and keep in the refrigerator. The freezer will eventually leech the moisture from the cheese and cause it to crumble. Store the vac bag cheese in a paper or dark bag (keep the light off it) for longest life expectancy.

Reactions: NRC

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
One thing I've learned over the years is I like the IDEA of smoked cheese better than the reality. I've tried it many ways, but just realized I'm not in to it. I always used indirect heat source to not heat up the main chamber, and did it during the winter so things stayed cold. Other guys use refrigerators.

Cliff

Steelhead
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I will use my vac seal on these cheeses and place them in a brown paper sack.
Cliff

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I'd smoke it in sizes you intend to consume soon. My tries at preservation of cheese has just not given satisfactory results, even with a vac sealer. And, it's really easy to overdo.

Cliff

Steelhead
I'd smoke it in sizes you intend to consume soon. My tries at preservation of cheese has just not given satisfactory results, even with a vac sealer. And, it's really easy to overdo.
That pretty much what I'm doing. I was asking because I would like to store it for longer periods in my freezer, but in reality I will most likely eat it up before I freeze. Its too good and I just can't stay away from the fridge.

MELinOre

Steelhead
I was going to ask what paper you smoke your cheese in, but I see that "brown paper bag" is preferred. :ROFLMAO: