Smelt

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I went to a sushi bar with a Michelin Star and had a basket of lightly tempura fried whole smelt about 6” long each. Was fantastic. Looked like a basket of fries as mentioned above. It wasn’t the best thing I ate that night but maybe the most memorable. The experience made me interested in smelt fishing.

Wolverine

Smolt
I never dipped for smelt in Washington. In Michigan we’d use long handled fine mesh nets and sweep along the beaches in one of the Great Lakes. If the water was rough the smelt would get pushed up onto the sand, and then we’d pick them up with our hands.

SeaRunner

Steelhead
I did the dip thing around 2013 or so and did well. The activity is very fun but I thought the fish were just ok. Frying them up until they were crisp and almost like fish French fries was the best IMO.

I have heard salt water smelt are much better and have always wanted to try them, but haven't gotten around to it.

Bagman

Steelhead
what time of year do the smelt show on the beaches out on the coast ? right now its jigging season on the sound but in a month or so They will start dipping them off the beach
a few years ago while fly fishing for coho off point nPoint I foul hooked a surf smelt. That’s my experience with surf smelt. Now if you want to talk grunion I’m your man.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Growing up in Vermont a favorite winter activity was jigging for smelt through the ice on a lake near home. It was done at night by placing a lantern near the hole in the ice. I believe they were rainbow smelt, about 5 to 6 inches long and delicious gutted and head removed then rolled in flour and seasoning and fried. That is some good eating. The adults in charge of the activity always had a bottle of "aiming oil" whatever that was.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I did the dip thing around 2013 or so and did well. The activity is very fun but I thought the fish were just ok. Frying them up until they were crisp and almost like fish French fries was the best IMO.

I have heard salt water smelt are much better and have always wanted to try them, but haven't gotten around to it.
Dipped for smelt in rocky coves, with cobbled sand, in Yachats in the late 70s/ early 80s. Triangle shaped dip net with netting. Buckets full…!!!
Fried up, trout style, with some cheese omelets on the side… YUM!! 😋

Last edited:

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Anyone have a good source for bulk netting material? I need to rebuild by surf smelt net this year. I used a mono casting net for my last build but it got crispy in the sun last year from leaving it outside.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not sure if they carry bulk netting, but they carry replacement bags and also make smelt nets.
I’ve had good luck using them several times in the past and found their customer service to be helpful when I had questions.
Might be worth a call.
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Anyone have a good source for bulk netting material? I need to rebuild by surf smelt net this year. I used a mono casting net for my last build but it got crispy in the sun last year from leaving it outside.
Not sure if they carry bulk netting, but they carry replacement bags and also make smelt nets.
I’ve had good luck using them several times in the past and found their customer service to be helpful when I had questions.
Might be worth a call.
SF

You might reach out to Seattle Marine.