Small Glass?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'm definitely looking for SMALL water. The kind of water where your kid is looking for bugs ankle deep and I need something else to do. I have a good 8.5' Livingston that's very quickly made it my go to trout rod (other than my 4 wts for the Met).

I'd take you up on that!

lmk and we'll figure out a time to get it to you.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I got back into glass after we moved south to “DFC” aka Deep Fried Country NC. Purchased a 7’6” 4 wt from Blue Halo on a what the heck. Great trout rod….throws a tight loop on a DT3 or 4 and also WF 4 or 5. Great little rod for the $$ and I believe they’re 25% off now through Sunday. Since then I’ve added a 5, 6, 7, and 8, with McFarland, Steffen, Epic in the mix. Happy with them all.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I got back into glass after we moved south to “DFC” aka Deep Fried Country NC. Purchased a 7’6” 4 wt from Blue Halo on a what the heck. Great trout rod….throws a tight loop on a DT3 or 4 and also WF 4 or 5. Great little rod for the $$ and I believe they’re 25% off now through Sunday. Since then I’ve added a 5, 6, 7, and 8, with McFarland, Steffen, Epic in the mix. Happy with them all.

Sounds like a good Appalachia rod!

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Anybody into small glass? Looking at expanding into a 3 or 4 wt for dinks.
Leaning towards a short 3wt since I already have a lovely Winston 8' 4wt graphite rod.

In terms of length should I be looking at ~7'?

I know, I know, I can go post over at Fiberglass Flyrodders, but I'm here.

Thinking tromping around here.
View attachment 42133

Looking for these.
View attachment 42134

Check out these reasonably priced rods. No need to spend big on a tiny creek rod,,

Last edited:

stillreleasing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
The Cabela's CGR 6'2" 2wt has my seal of approval. Incredible rod for the price. I have it lined with the Cabela's/Bass Pro triangle taper 2 wt and it is a great setup. It can throw a surprising amount of line and handle large fish. For $70 you will not be disappointed. The also go on sale pretty regularly if you aren't in a hurry.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
The Cabela's CGR 6'2" 2wt has my seal of approval. Incredible rod for the price. I have it lined with the Cabela's/Bass Pro triangle taper 2 wt and it is a great setup. It can throw a surprising amount of line and handle large fish. For $70 you will not be disappointed. The also go on sale pretty regularly if you aren't in a hurry.
I keep forgetting about that rod! Definitely not in a hurry, this is a summer time rod hopefully.

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
I keep forgetting about that rod! Definitely not in a hurry, this is a summer time rod hopefully.
I have the 6-6 3/4 wt, and it’s a blast. You can take it for a spin as well

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
Phil, do you like it with a 3 or 4wt line?
I have a 4 wt wulff bamboo triangle taper that works really well. But I don’t know how much line you’ll have out anyway

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have a 4 wt wulff bamboo triangle taper that works really well. But I don’t know how much line you’ll have out anyway
I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to the multi line tapers, ie 3/4, 5/6 etc. is the that the idea, pick your line based of how much line you plan to cast? Or just if you like it to load deeper?

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to the multi line tapers, ie 3/4, 5/6 etc. is the that the idea, pick your line based of how much line you plan to cast? Or just if you like it to load deeper?
I honestly have no idea. I just find a line I like

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter

booner05

Just Hatched
I have one of the older Cabelas CGR 7ft 4/5 and fish it with an old orvis WF5 line. Fish in the 4-5" range are fun and put a bend in it. This 10" rainbow bent it deep and I thought I was gonna lose it. The only thing that would make me like this rod more is if it was 4pc so it packed smaller.

Id like to try the Echo gecko or maybe build the Proof 7ft 3/4 glass blank

Attachments

• 20220822_164116.jpg
    20220822_164116.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221110_140207.jpg
    20221110_140207.jpg
    947.8 KB · Views: 3