Since the cat is out of the bag

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Man those old glass rods are special. I have some old school style fiberglass Eagle Claws I use for sturgeon and sometimes for the tuna bobber setup. But nothing with as much street cred as that lot.
This was a really hard picture to take. This was right after my Dad passed and a lot of those rods are my Dad's. Mind you a lot of the rods in there are mine too. All my saltwater and trolling rods are old Fenwicks. Have used my old Fenwick drift rods as my small plug rods.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Hold up. The tuna what setup?

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wow Jerry, lots of Fenwicks in there. In terms of gear rods and pertaining to the late 70’s and early 80’s it seemed that Eagle Claw, Fenwick, Daiwa, and Berkeley were some of the more popular brands in both rods and some reels. We were young back then but all my fishing buddies had one of the above and the reels were all metal, even the spools, grips and handle arms, none of the lightweight plastic cheap ones, that they eventually became themselves. And Zebco was for rookies!!!

Fenwicks….. spot them easily…distinct rod color and wrappings. Great rods for spinning, bait casting, fly fishing, they always seemed to be 15-25 dollars more than the others. One time a drool rod ❤️

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Speaking of Zebco’s, how many owned Cardinal 4 spinning reels?
I had a few. They all disappeared when the arsonist set the boathouse on fire.
One of the most fun things to do with those was fish for silvers out in the sound. We would use them on 7.5’ trout rods with a 1/4 oz weight and a cut plug herring. Troll the rips and have some fun.
We also used to catch coho and blackmouth off the shore down by the grain terminals. Herring strip, single hook and a open bail. Watch the line start coming off and set the hook. Lots of fun.
Caught a lot of steelhead on those reels as well. Excellent on noodle rods.
SF

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One of the most fun things to do with those was fish for silvers out in the sound. We would use them on 7.5’ trout rods with a 1/4 oz weight and a cut plug herring. Troll the rips and have some fun.
We also used to catch coho and blackmouth off the shore down by the grain terminals. Herring strip, single hook and a open bail. Watch the line start coming off and set the hook. Lots of fun.
SF
I remember those 😉

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
During the time Zebco seemed to be big on the 6’ rods with push button surround wall housing casting reels. Cardinal 4 reels I remember. I didn’t know they were Zebcos or I forgot. But it seemed like cardinal became a common reel name. Didn’t Garcia pick up on that or Garcia Mitchell? And others perhaps. Probably shouldn’t say to much. Many on this forum know way more than I do. Kinda shooting off hip memory lane on this.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
SF
Those are what they call free range grain fed fish!

I know that because I have pushed, shoveled, and blown enough corn and soy beans over to feed them!!! 😉

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I was gonna tease Evan about having more rods than he's showing. After seeing the collections others have shared, I'll shut up and just look on in envy.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
During the time Zebco seemed to be big on the 6’ rods with push button surround wall housing casting reels. Cardinal 4 reels I remember. I didn’t know they were Zebcos or I forgot. But it seemed like cardinal became a common reel name. Didn’t Garcia pick up on that or Garcia Mitchell? And others perhaps. Probably shouldn’t say to much. Many on this forum know way more than I do. Kinda shooting off hip memory lane on this.

Used Michell 300’s and Dam Quick’s. Maybe 330’s?
I still liked these better. Thinking back I probably had a Cardinal 3 as well. Just personal preference.
SF

AE8A01FD-2B58-4208-A9F7-73E12D09E730.jpegEFE613CA-FE57-4FC0-B551-D124E9427654.jpeg