Shout out to Dave Dozer, Sisters OR

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
I wanted to give a shout out to Dave Dozer, bamboo rod maker in Sisters OR. He invited me to drop by when I was down in the Bend area last week to talk bamboo rods. His rods are very, very nice and although he seems to fly a bit under the national radar for bamboo rod makers, his work stands up with the best of them. While visiting we compared a Payne 201 replica I wrapped on a blank by Jeff Pope to a 201 tapered rod Dave had made a few years ago with some slight modifications to the taper. Dave knows is tapers very well and he said he had decided to slightly bulk up his 201, taking the rod up from a medium/fast 5/6 weight to a straight 6 and a notch faster than usual with more power in the lower section. I got to cast the two rods side by side, and although I really like my 201 rod, Dave's version might be the ideal 6 wt for our larger streams here in the PNW. It felt like it could add another 10' to my longest cast and carry the indicator/weighted nymphs I like to fish so often. He said the rod was not in his standard offerings but is one he's considering offering as a new model. If you are looking for a do-it-all with ease rod, you should give Dave a call.

SSPey

loco alto!
I have tried a couple of Dave’s rods and a couple dozen others. Modern bamboo is smooth and powerful and casts well. I learned on fiberglass and I don’t care for stiff rods. I really dislike the weight, though.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
I have tried a couple of Dave’s rods and a couple dozen others. Modern bamboo is smooth and powerful and casts well. I learned on fiberglass and I don’t care for stiff rods. I really dislike the weight, though.

Okay. Thanks for the reply!