Searching for Sheridan - The story behind the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
1661459131163.png

Like many of you, I love the Curtis Creek Manifesto. It's a funny, encouraging, easy read with some good info.

But how many of you caught the awesome backstory that The Fly Fishing Journal published a few years back about the book's wonderfully eccentric author, Sheridan Anderson? It's well worth the read. Also, go subscribe to the FFJ, it's worth the money.

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 13-28-59 Searching for Sheridan - The FlyFish Journal.png

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Fun read Josh, thanks for posting that. I love that little book, and "Curtis Creeks" everywhere. My grandkids will be ready for a christmas copy and a box of crayons, just like their dad, in a couple years. It's actually an occasional bedtime story when they stay over now.

Last edited:

Sagebrush

Smolt
That book was life altering for me, got me hooked on flyfishing. I was a clueless 16 year old opening up the book of secrets. And that trick with the yarn, got me a beautiful trout on the Rogue, will never forget it.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I love that book. I used to talk to Frank Amato about Sheridan. He said he'd get the greatest letters from the guy that were illustrated. He had a natural talent that can not be reproduced. Frank wanted me to pen a cartoon book in the same vein as CCM but with fly tying as the subject. I knew there was no way in hell that I could come up with a spin off fly tying cartoon book anywhere close to the caliber of Sheridan's fly fishing book so I declined the contract.

For many years, CCM was Amato Publication best selling book. It wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't still the case.

I was a climber when I was young and knew Sheridan Anderson’s climbing cartoons in Mountain Gazette and other climbing rags. I’d guess that in those days that was what he was most well known for. But there’s no question that the Curtis Creek Manifesto defines his legacy today. Thanks for posting this bio.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
There is very little about trout fishing that one needs to know that is not thoroughly explained by Sheridan.
I think one of the main reasons people struggle learning to fly fish is that the industry has gone to great lengths to overcomplicate it.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
View attachment 29138

Like many of you, I love the Curtis Creek Manifesto. It's a funny, encouraging, easy read with some good info.

But how many of you caught the awesome backstory that The Fly Fishing Journal published a few years back about the book's wonderfully eccentric author, Sheridan Anderson? It's well worth the read. Also, go subscribe to the FFJ, it's worth the money.

View attachment 29140
Thanks for posting this - it was interesting to read that Sheridan Anderson lived in Chiloquin, OR at the same time I was living in K'Falls. I made quite a few trips to the Chiloquin area to fish the Williamson River. I love the simplicity but genious of The Curtis Creek Manifesto.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
I love that book. I used to talk to Frank Amato about Sheridan. He said he'd get the greatest letters from the guy that were illustrated. He had a natural talent that can not be reproduced. Frank wanted me to pen a cartoon book in the same vein as CCM but with fly tying as the subject. I knew there was no way in hell that I could come up with a spin off fly tying cartoon book anywhere close to the caliber of Sheridan's fly fishing book so I declined the contract.

For many years, CCM was Amato Publication best selling book. It wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't still the case.
I may have mentioned before that I also had Frank Amato buy some work from me and publish some early line drawings. No doubt being even a small part connected with the guy who published the Curtis Creek Manifesto was like recording an album under the Beatles APPLE Records, even back in the 80's.

What a great, great book.

@GAT it is nice to know we are brothers in that lucky space !

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Thanks for sharing, @Josh! I wrote this story for FFJ several years ago. Happy to know it's still getting read from time to time.

For what it's worth, I haven't found a better instructional than Curtis Creek Manifesto. Special book, talented guy.
Very awesome to hear!

And welcome to the site!

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
I won the book in a raffle at the expo, and I’m glad to finally have a copy

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Picked up a copy at a used book store after reading this thread . Interesting book to say the least .