Scientific Anglers paper fly line spools

Do you prefer to receive your single hand fly line on plastic spools?

• Yes

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Don’t care

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Justadd Water

Just Hatched
So anyone that has recently purchased an SA fly line probably received it on a paper/cardboard spool rather than a plastic spool. Personally I like the plastic spool to store my lines on when doing a different type of fishing or trying other lines. I just use a little Dewalt screw gun with a homemade arbor that is tightened onto the plastic spool. It will roll up a fly in a minute or two.

I think removing plastic from packaging is a good idea but, this isn’t a good place for it. Maybe it’s just me. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I use a line winder for installing and removing fly lines. I like the larger loops you get with a line winder than storing line tightly wound around a spool. The packaging is insignificant for me.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I have every plastic line spool and box except the first 3 I bought in the '70's. Rarely use them. I use a line winder, then put on the spool, in box, away. Really don't need them.
Too much packaging on most things.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I bought a SA fly line yesterday and asked for the spool. Didn’t know they are paper now.
The shop owner mentioned he was told by SA that the plastic in the spool is equivalent to five fly lines.
I personally don’t have a problem with them being paper.
SF

Last edited:

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
I think, if I unknowingly bought a SA line on a paper "spool", I'd return it. Looking forward to seeing how SA competitors respond.....

Last edited:

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I haven't seen them - is there some reason the paper spools aren't just as reusable? Too flimsy?

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I haven't seen them - is there some reason the paper spools aren't just as reusable? Too flimsy?

Pretty flimsy, especially the back side which is creased. Almost like it is designed to be folded or something. The inner core part is also square, not round.
Again, no big deal to me though as I have tons of extra spools. A few pics of the spool.
SF

19A63B36-33EA-48C6-87AA-321F3A66D21E.jpeg38C2EE5C-AE56-4B7A-8BCB-2DAC00F41DDE.jpeg

7B84F3D0-4969-4E3C-ACFF-93A232FDD3DE.jpeg

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Yeah they are flimsy, one and done, I think mine fell apart just taking the line off it. I had one empty plastic spool I dug up so I was able to respool my line but that’s a great idea to ask a fly shop for some more. I also save and reuse them to store fly lines, and also use a cordless drill motor. So quick and easy.

Justadd Water

Just Hatched
I appreciate everyone’s comments and poll answers. I would have assumed that more people stored their extra lines on the plastic spools but, I stand corrected. Guess I’ll try to find a dozen empties that nobody wants. Old habits die hard and I really don’t want to start rolling up my lines a little hand crank tool.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I do the same as you @Justadd Water re extra plastic spools. So I just saved the spools I have and will use them moving fwd. I put a piece of duct tape on the spool and identify the line.

Despite it being counter to the system I use, I love the paper spools. No need to have them on plastic spools given the state of things.

And if they all go to paper spools, I’m sure somebody will sell the plastic spools for storage for those of us that use em

Russell

Steelhead
I have a line winder and it winds my lines in larger coils that the plastic line holders which is better. A couple twist ties and they store nicely in a drawer. Hate all the packaging acossiated with all the stuff I buy.

Justadd Water

Just Hatched
So the plastic spools are single for some but, not for everyone. May I suggest that the people that don’t reuse their spools post them in the classified rather than tossing them? You may be converting single use plastic into multi-use plastic.

I personally think that a significant motivation behind paper spools is increased margins on the product through reduced costs. Yes paper is easier from a disposal point of view but, when it really comes down to it, manufacturing paper isn’t all that environmentally friendly either.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
I bought some fly line at a local flyshop a few days ago, the owner asked me if I wanted paper or plastic. I answered by saying: I brought my own spool.

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
So anyone that has recently purchased an SA fly line probably received it on a paper/cardboard spool rather than a plastic spool. Personally I like the plastic spool to store my lines on when doing a different type of fishing or trying other lines. I just use a little Dewalt screw gun with a homemade arbor that is tightened onto the plastic spool. It will roll up a fly in a minute or two.

I think removing plastic from packaging is a good idea but, this isn’t a good place for it. Maybe it’s just me. What do you guys think?
Just dealt with my first paperboard spool. Hated it! And now I have to hope I have a spare spool somewhere, when I take the new SA line back off the reel for storage, because yeah, that paper thing is not re-usable.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
I was looking at some lines online today.
It looks like SA also changed their outside packaging with a new logo. Marketing 101….. 😉
SF

Old
84E664A2-D749-4EFB-A546-4C82B55D9165.jpeg

New

051FA31C-A5CC-4458-951E-B5303A47E29D.jpeg