San Juan River, NM

FlyGuy

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
I'm considering a trip to fish the San Jaun River at the end of September beginning of October. I'm not really tied down to a specific time as I'm retired and have nothing to keep me from doing what I want to do and nothing to tell me when I can or cannot do it...

I been doing some research on the average day/night time high and low air temperatures around that time of year and they seem to be rather pleasant (highs in the middle 70s, lows in the middle 50s). The one thing I'm not sure about is that is the time of year that "they" appear to draw down the reservoir as the flows are quite high (highest of the year) at 800 to 900 cfs. Whereas most of the rest of the year the flows are 300 to 400 cfs.

Is there a member that has any knowledge of the fishery? Since it is a tail race the water temps fluctuate about 10 during the day with water to about 54 Degrees around the middle of day rising from 44 degrees in the overnight into the early AM.

My only concern would be the realitive high flows during my "target" time-frame... However, historically I would be there a week (4,5,6 days) after the high flows started. On the other side of that, the release from the Navajo Reservoir begins to reduce about a week after the "targeted" time-frame but takes until the first week in November to get back down to the 300 to 400 cfs.

I could wait but I would rather not as the ambient temperatures start to fall into a range where if I'm were to be swinging a fly for Steelhead, I would be good but if not then I'm tying flies drinking coffee n sipping good Bourbon across from the fireplace!

Just wanted to know if there were any members with some knowledge of where I speak?

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
This shop is in Santa Fe, with very knowledgeable guys:

This shop is in Santa Fe, with very knowledgeable guys:
Too bad they weren't in business 6 years earlier when I was stationed on El Paso .

Jim Allen

Steelhead
Duranglers in Durango Colorado is a great option if your traveling down from the north. There are walk and wade access points but floating may be the better option during high water. Local knowledge is key as the fish can be very selective. The correct fly and the correct presentation is essential on this river. This is where a guide would be well worth the $$.

FlyGuy

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Thank you for your responses... I was in Alberque for some number of months back in the late 90s working at the Intel Fab supporting production tools Intel purchased from my employer...

Now that Bonefish Jack mentions the fly shop in Santa Fe, I think I remember going into a shop back then when I drove up there on a day off. Seeking all things New Mexican/Sante Fe e.g. micro brewreys, food, art, architecture, history etc. I spent some time looking around Santa Fe when I could get away.

There was a fly fishing community at Intel and there were a few people from my company that were into fly fishing as well. We were always discussing the desire to fish the San Jaun River while at work.

However, working 100+ hours 6 to 7 days a week made it difficult to plan a day off to do anything but laundry, sleep and relax etc. I found at the time, the motivation to drive 3+ hours to fish, fishing X number of hours to then face a return 3+ hour trip back to Alberque was lacking. Which seems strange to me now as I think about it, because my past is full of spontaneous trips, in which I made really insane efforts (long hours of driving many hundreds of miles) in order to go fish somewhere.

I will contact both shops as well as a couple I found...Thanks for your suggestions.

claude

Smolt
Forum Supporter
The "high" flows won't be a problem. It's still easy wading and the fish can spread out more. i preferred flows at 1000 myself. There is a problem if you're there when the flows are being raised. The moss breaks loose and catches your leader and line. It's frustrating. It takes a few days to move the moss downstream. But - I wouldn't put much stock in release dates as far as flows are concerned. The 4 Corners area is in extreme drought - we are at 0-1% of median snowpack average for this time of year. All predictions for future streamflow and releases are going to be off.

The weather can be fantastic that time of year - even a bit on the hot side. I used to make a trip every year around your time frame and only got rained on once that I recall. Its also more crowded then but weekdays shouldn't be too bad.

Water temps are cold. I wear liners under my wading socks. And an extra layer of thin long undies. Bring lot's of water - its dry there.

You should see good Baetis hatches then. My favorite dry for baetis was a Brook's Sprout in black,grey and olive. Tak's Biot Midge always produced for baetis and midges. Small sizes - 22 & 24. Don't be afraid to go to #26. If you see fish rising cast your dry about 4-5' above them and then drag it in line with their position as they don't move to the side. And try a streamer or bugger in the fast water at top and bottom of Texas Hole. That can produce some crazy action.

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
Seeking all things New Mexican/Sante Fe e.g. micro brewreys, food, art, architecture, history etc. I spent some time looking around Santa Fe when I could get away.

Well you have to get tortillas and a green chile cheeseburger from the Frontier in ABQ, that's required. The Range Cafe is also a must-have.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Abe’s Motel and Fly Shop. They have great guides, good beans and rice (best beans I’ve ever had), and butt-ass basic accommodations. Tough to find one-stop shopping for your fly fishing needs in that town on this level.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Abe’s Motel and Fly Shop. They have great guides, good beans and rice (best beans I’ve ever had), and butt-ass basic accommodations. Tough to find one-stop shopping for your fly fishing needs in that town on this level.

When I was there in January Abes whole complex was shut down and for sale.

I only went there that one time and I found local Intel to be less than satisfactory.
I caught fish using a black elk hair caddis size 16 fished as a midge cluster imitation on 5x nylon and had success when we were able to find rising fish. The guy at the fly shop swore up and down you had to use 22 or smaller on 7x.

It's a mildly Interesting place, I might go back someday but there are other places I'd go instead, for instance the Green in Utah.

Again this was 1 two day trip so take my comments with a grain of salt..

What the heck does that expression mean anyway?

Use Google maps to figure out the spots. We wasted am hour trying to bushwhack to the river across a side channel one morning..

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When I was there in January Abes whole complex was shut down and for sale.

I only went there that one time and I found local Intel to be less than satisfactory.
I caught fish using a black elk hair caddis size 16 fished as a midge cluster imitation on 5x nylon and had success when we were able to find rising fish. The guy at the fly shop swore up and down you had to use 22 or smaller on 7x.

It's a mildly Interesting place, I might go back someday but there are other places I'd go instead, for instance the Green in Utah.

Again this was 1 two day trip so take my comments with a grain of salt..

What the heck does that expression mean anyway?

Use Google maps to figure out the spots. We wasted am hour trying to bushwhack to the river across a side channel one morning..

I did not know that Abe's was for sale. Kind of sad.

Yeah, all the guides swear by the #22 nymphs. Not that they're the only flies (nymphs) that work, but it's their game. They're the only ones that can discern a take.

Yes, "mildly interesting." In a drift boat, guides just conveyor belt you through Texas Hole. Trout may be big, but they don't put on a show when hooked.

I started fishing " The Juan" in 1978 " and fish were plenty and easy. I caught my biggest trout, a 28" bruiser Brown on a Cabela 7'6" 3 pc 3wt and a black Wooly Bugger. This was before the flotillas and guides. Fast forward, asphalt, campgrounds, handicap walkways, opened for boats and even have Trout tournaments! There are still plenty of fish and places to catch them but on the weekends and during summer it can be combat fishing. I can't seem to catch any fish there now, but I guess that's on me as I refuse to use a size 26 Black Zebra midge or the same size Red Annelid. When a hatch comes, and they do quite suddenly during the day ya better be strung up and ready because they bite fast and furious for 3 minutes and it takes my old trembling hands and bad eyes 10 minutes to tie a match on, so I'm usually just FUCKED! Anyway, I quit fishing it because of all these reasons and now go to another stream where I still don't catch fish but is prettier and much more peaceful. Still, one can catch fish there in the Braids or the Whore hole and if you want to float down river to the first take out in your float tube or boat there is solitude to be found. I have used a shuttle service several times and can vouch for them. They are inexpensive, reliable and not related to me. If you want the number pm me. Good luck.

PS: Take Woolies, Leaches and P.Adams as old standbys.

Last edited: