Sage VPS line recommendation

MarkR

Smolt
Picked up and older Sage rod barely used was wondering if any one on here could give me a recommendation. VPS 5wt 9” 2 piece.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Depends on how you want to fish and where.
The VPS has similar action (same graphite) to the RPL.
Say you are floating the Yakima, fishing dries on a floating line and want to load the rod quickly to make casts into the bank. I’d put a 6 wt line on it. I did that with my 5 wt RPL and was very happy with the results.
Have fun and enjoy the new rod.
SF

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Picked up and older Sage rod barely used was wondering if any one on here could give me a recommendation. VPS 5wt 9” 2 piece.
Nice rod! I fish an older Sage Lightline, which is a similar blank (I think). I do not recommend overlining it. I like a double taper on mine, but part of that is frugality because I can flip the line around when one end gets worn.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Say you are floating the Yakima, fishing dries on a floating line and want to load the rod quickly to make casts into the bank. I’d put a 6 wt line on it. I did that with my 5 wt RPL and was very happy with the results.
SF
Your mileage may vary. I tried a 7wt line on my 6wt RPL and didn't like it. I went back to a 6wt line and stayed there. But I did go with a weight forward line instead of my usual double taper.

Is it the VPS Light that had the same blank as the older LLs?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Your mileage may vary. I tried a 7wt line on my 6wt RPL and didn't like it. I went back to a 6wt line and stayed there. But I did go with a weight forward line instead of my usual double taper.

Is it the VPS Light that had the same blank as the older LLs?

Zak,
Not sure.
I used a standard 6 WF on my 590 RPL, but not an overweighted line like some of the lines available today. I did the same with my 490 RPL, put a 5 wt on it for doing the same thing. Short, quick casts to the bank.
SF

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Zak,
Not sure.
I used a standard 6 WF on my 590 RPL, but not an overweighted line like some of the lines available today. I did the same with my 490 RPL, put a 5 wt on it for doing the same thing. Short, quick casts to the bank.
SF
I did like the overlined RPL 6wt for short casts. I've got a true to line weight Wulff triangle taper on it now. I like that line!

MarkR

Smolt
SF
Thanks for the info

MarkR

Smolt
Nice rod! I fish an older Sage Lightline, which is a similar blank (I think). I do not recommend overlining it. I like a double taper on mine, but part of that is frugality because I can flip the line around when one end gets worn.
Thank you

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I will use a true 8 weight on my 7 weight RPL and it works great. But if we are talking about the VPSL rod then that is a different matter MHO. The VPSL or it’s sister rod, the LL, performs best with a true line weight, maybe a line + .5 at most. But I would not over line either rod by a full line weight, that’s just me I guess. I have the 389 LL and it is best with a 3.

MarkR

Smolt
I will use a true 8 weight on my 7 weight RPL and it works great. But if we are talking about the VPSL rod then that is a different matter MHO. The VPSL or it’s sister rod, the LL, performs best with a true line weight, maybe a line + .5 at most. But I would not over line either rod by a full line weight, that’s just me I guess. I have the 389 LL and it is best with a 3.
It’s a VPS. I did not know there was a VPSL until I did some research on the web.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I've used both a 5 and a 6 on my VPS 590. I think I've mostly settled on using a 6WF, but I also don't do a lot of long casting with it.

I ran across a nice little blog post from someone about the VPS. A little light on info and heavy on memories, but worth a read.

MarkR

Smolt
I've used both a 5 and a 6 on my VPS 590. I think I've mostly settled on using a 6WF, but I also don't do a lot of long casting with it.

I ran across a nice little blog post from someone about the VPS. A little light on info and heavy on memories, but worth a read.

Thank you Josh for the article Much appreciated

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It's a bit cruel what the fly line & rod companies have done to us. Is the line .5 over? .75 over? A full line weight over? Does this 5wt like a .75 over? Like, WTF is a 5wt anymore? You pretty much have to research each line now.
Back when the RPLs (and my IMX) were new it was much more simple...Gotta a fast 5wt like the RPL or IMX? Easy- Load it with either a DT5F or WF6F. Done!

Now, if you throw a WF6F on a 5wt rod you might actually be throwing a WF6.75F line on there. So annoying.

Having said/ranted that, if you do the right research you can find great lines. If I owned that VPS 5wt, I would probably put a Amplitude MPX WF5F on it since it's meant for fast rods like the VPS and is .5 over. Which puts it pretty close to a...standard WF6F. :cool:

Good luck!

MarkR

Smolt
It's a bit cruel what the fly line & rod companies have done to us. Is the line .5 over? .75 over? A full line weight over? Does this 5wt like a .75 over? Like, WTF is a 5wt anymore? You pretty much have to research each line now.
Back when the RPLs (and my IMX) were new it was much more simple...Gotta a fast 5wt like the RPL or IMX? Easy- Load it with either a DT5F or WF6F. Done!

Now, if you throw a WF6F on a 5wt rod you might actually be throwing a WF6.75F line on there. So annoying.

Having said/ranted that, if you do the right research you can find great lines. If I owned that VPS 5wt, I would probably put a Amplitude MPX WF5F on it since it's meant for fast rods like the VPS and is .5 over. Which puts it pretty close to a...standard WF6F. :cool:

Good luck!
Thank you. I was gonna throw a cortland 444 on there but now I’m doing some research.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The 444 is a great line. But I find it best for trouty 3-4-5 weights. True weight lines unless they have changed it. I’m a fan of the peach and the clear creek. But these are not aggressive lines…they are good presentation lines and I use them mostly with dries. They are good on still and moving water. So many dang lines today and so much $$$. You can check with your local fly shop, see if they have some have demo lines to try. The Avid Angler in Lake Forest Park has several demo lines and you can check out one or two for a week or so and test it out on some water. The rod you have is a pretty smooth caster with some oomph when needed. I would think a 5.5 would be a good match. This is all MHO Good luck.

RPL/LL

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
find Cortland 444sl in WF6F or a Wulff TT WF5/6F
if its a VPS light go with the WF5F or TT WF4/5F
I have both rods and thats how I've had them set-up for about 25+yrs now, fits my casting style.
These lines today are made for the rods of today, the older lines match the rods of that era..
best of luck n have fun :cool:

Last edited:

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have both rods and thats how I've had them set-up for about 25+yrs now, fits my casting style.
These lines today are made for the rods of today, the older lines match the rods of that era..
This ^^^^^^ (y)(y)

Reactions: RCF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Interesting, I have a Wulff TT WF5 sitting around for some reason I can't remember and was just wondering what to do with it. Perhaps I'll try it on the VPS.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Interesting, I have a Wulff TT WF5 sitting around for some reason I can't remember and was just wondering what to do with it. Perhaps I'll try it on the VPS.
I have a TT WF6 on my 960 RPL and like it a lot.