Running Lines

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I just set up a CTS Affinity x 10’ 3 wt for going back and forth between tight line nymphing and a shooting head set up. I am using the Cortland .022 level nymph line (braided core) as my running/nymph line (20lb). Small loop with a nail knot on the end of the nymph line let’s me loop on a euro nymph leader or switch that out to loop on one of the SA TC spey heads. I have the 12 ft spey head kit w 4 different sink rates. Use those for swinging small streamers. Each head is 160 grains. The nymph line is a lot like a coated running line.

Rio make an 0.013in “euro” fly line, for people that don’t care about FIPS rules (0.022in minimum). I’m considering giving that a try, because it will probably float better than plain mono (at my feet). However, it is probably very limp and won’t cast as well as a stiff mono.

Grandpa Jim

Steelhead
I use 40 lb. Lazar Line with 7 & 8 wt. Spey, 30 lb. with 4 wt. Spey on the initial recommendation of Dave Steinbaugh of Water's West. I don't pre-stretch my running line before fishing, the Lazar Line seems to stretch out enough for me after casting a few times. I thought I might have to use a finger guard with the 30 lb. Lazar Line, but I don't. I seem to be able to mend OK with the Lazar Line. I cut off the Lazar Line end to the shooting head once it gets ratty and tie a new loop. I reverse the Lazar Line after a season or two and use the non-casted portion that has served as my initial backing as the "new" running line. I tried Rio Power Flex Max running line on the recommendation of another fly shop salesman. I had to use a finger guard with it if I fished it all day. It also did not shoot as easily or far as the Lazar Line. The Power Flex went off my spool and back into the box.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Guideline Compline II flat mono shooting line, in 42 or 50lb. A hard, very slick flt mono that doesn't have the memory of slickshooter, Tri-lene and some others. A bit hard to find, but here's a site in Canada:

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
My favorite is Monic GSP in .038" dia (green).

I like the "zero-stretch" and the coating has a nice "rubbery" feel that's easier to strip and pinch against the cork during the swing. I tried all the monos and braids and while they shot well, I couldn't get used to the small diameter and slippery feel. Miracle Braid was at least grippable but the noise of it going thru the guides drove me crazy.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Those using mono and braid for running line, and don't change lines out often
Check out the FG knot.. looks like it would work and go through guides nicely...

Divad

Whitefish
$22 for 50 meters?! Now I know it’s negligible but cmon OPST, it’s just mono pushed through an extruder. Really wish they’d at least cut a spool to 60m to make splitting more sufficient.

Amnesia is made in the USA 20-30lb test for trout spey, 40lb for heavier stuff. $5 for 100m. Mono is mono, no matter the marketing behind the sphincter shape of the extruder.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
$22 for 50 meters?! Now I know it’s negligible but cmon OPST, it’s just mono pushed through an extruder. Really wish they’d at least cut a spool to 60m to make splitting more sufficient.

Amnesia is made in the USA 20-30lb test for trout spey, 40lb for heavier stuff. $5 for 100m. Mono is mono, no matter the marketing behind the sphincter shape of the extruder.

The color is basically the only justification for the higher price. A lot of folks don’t like that Amnesia is translucent. Opaque mono is uncommon and they make you pay for it. Red Amnesia also has some production issues at the moment and isn’t anywhere near as visible as it used to be.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I finally got around to trying out the Skagit head, on my 10ft 3wt. It worked great. I couldn’t contain my curiosity, so I did end up buying a spool of the new 30lb OPST oval line and that was also great. When I was done swinging, I took the head off, put on a sighter and did some euro on the way home. I’m pretty happy with the setup.

If anyone else wants to experiment with this, now is the time; it seems that the 150gr SA Spey Lite Skagit heads are discontinued. I grabbed myself both the floater and intermediate. OPST do have a 150gr head, but only floating.

Last edited:

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I finally got around to trying out the Skagit head, on my 10ft 3wt. It worked great. I couldn’t contain my curiosity, so I did end up buying a spool of the new 30lb OPST oval line and that was also great. When I was done swinging, I took the head off, put on a sighter and did some euro on the way home. I’m pretty happy with the setup.

If anyone else wants to experiment with this, now is the time; it seems that the 150gr SA Spey Lite Skagit heads are discontinued. I grabbed myself both the floater and intermediate. OPST do have a 150gr head, but only floating.
How did the Oval running line compare with other running lines, specifically Lazar line if you've used it?

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
How did the Oval running line compare with other running lines, specifically Lazar line if you've used it?

As a running line, I would say it is superior to Lazar. It seems to have a bit less memory and is probably a bit nicer to handle, due to the wider profile.

As a mono rig line, I’m not sure what to think. I prefer the color of the new line. However, the oval profile makes the line noticeably stiffer on one axis and noticeably softer on the other. I’m not sure how that has affected the way it casts.

IMG_0333.jpeg

IMG_0336.jpeg

spcoldsmoke

Freshly Spawned
I ordered a 150gr Skagit head, for my 10ft 3wt. I'm wondering how light I can go, on the running line, before it becomes a problem. I'm also just generally curious what folks use, other than Amnesia and Lazar.

My ultimate goal is to swap between tight lining and swinging/stripping, by swapping the sighter and the head.

I know the junction is going to suck for stripping. I'm curious if it's tolerable, if I clinch knot directly onto the welded loop. That's how I connect all my leaders now and it is reasonably smooth.
I've been trying a similar system but swapping between mono rig and skagit head/tip with a loop to loop on the shooting line. Downside is the loop junction is a little janky if it runs through the guides while tight lining, but the leader is long enough that doesn't happen much.

I may have missed it but did anyone mention Berkley Big Game? It comes in neon green, red, and clear (maybe other colors)...less than 8 bucks for a 330 yard spool...needs to to be stretched just as often as anything else, before the fishing day in summer, between runs in winter...IMHO Lazar line is a rip for that price...and all it is, is some line from Japan that starts with an S, repackaged...can't remember the name offhand...The new oval OPST stuff, however, does have some merit with the anti-twist properties, less drag in the guides...please know that I'm not ripping on OPST at all, I love their stuff but it's just like any other flyfishing company...no one needs to spend upwards of $25 for 50 yards of mono or $75 for a 20 ft skagit head or $130 for a full fly line...if I'm honest

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I've been trying a similar system but swapping between mono rig and skagit head/tip with a loop to loop on the shooting line. Downside is the loop junction is a little janky if it runs through the guides while tight lining, but the leader is long enough that doesn't happen much.

I prefer to tie a knot, rather than thread a loop-to-loop connection; it is much faster and you don’t have to remove your flies (if they don’t fit through the loop).

I used a Trilene knot, from the running line to the loop of the Skagit head. My theory is that the increased surface area will reduce the probability of the running line cutting through the coating of the loop. Time will tell if I am right.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I may have missed it but did anyone mention Berkley Big Game? It comes in neon green, red, and clear (maybe other colors)...less than 8 bucks for a 330 yard spool...needs to to be stretched just as often as anything else, before the fishing day in summer, between runs in winter...IMHO Lazar line is a rip for that price...and all it is, is some line from Japan that starts with an S, repackaged...can't remember the name offhand...The new oval OPST stuff, however, does have some merit with the anti-twist properties, less drag in the guides...please know that I'm not ripping on OPST at all, I love their stuff but it's just like any other flyfishing company...no one needs to spend upwards of $25 for 50 yards of mono or $75 for a 20 ft skagit head or $130 for a full fly line...if I'm honest

I think the catch here is that all the gear lines are transparent. I greatly prefer the visibility of an opaque line. That lands you in niche territory and you have to pay the tax.

SA have a new flat mono that is a little bit cheaper, if you’re unlikely to use the full spool before it expires. I should have tried that instead, but I forgot it exists.

Similarly, the SA Spey Lite system is a bit cheaper than the OPST system. OPST stuff is expensive, but that’s the niche tax again.

Last edited:

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I’m slowly phasing out all mono running lines. I’m really enjoying how the Ridge running lines mend and fish. The summer set up is going to be a Gaelforce 63’ full line. It is amazing how delicate this line will cast and mend at some distance without having to strip a ton!

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I think the catch here is that all the gear lines are transparent. I greatly prefer the visibility of an opaque line. That lands you in niche territory and you have to pay the tax.

SA have a new flat mono that is a little bit cheaper, if you’re unlikely to use the full spool before it expires. I should have tried that instead, but I forgot it exists.

Similarly, the SA Spey Lite system is a bit cheaper than the OPST system. OPST stuff is expensive, but that’s the niche tax again.
I am a fan of the absolute flat mono, excellent grip, and shoot ability.