Running Lines

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I've always used mono, namely Lazar and Rio Slickshooter. I always found Lazar better, but the slickshooter was cheap and accessible (seems like the Lazar is always out of stock).. I typically replace it every or every other year.

But just a few weeks ago, prior to a trip to the OP, i went to Pacific Fly Fishers to grab some new running line. They recommended Scientific Anglers absolute shooting line, Flat Mono. In his, words, it's better in "pretty much every way" as compared to the slickshooter that I was using. I gotta say he was 100% correct. I used the 42lb version (you'd probably want a little lighter), but that stuff was amazing and a huge step up from anything i've used prior. Hats off to PFF for the spot-on recommendation.

Is it translucent (like Amnesia) or opaque (like Lazar)? The 25lb might work, for my purposes.

ABITNF

Steelhead
Is Airflo still making Miracle Braid? I thought production of it ceased. I don't see it on the USA or the UK websites.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I think I’ve come up with a system that will work for me.

Reel 1
  • 90ft 15lb Amnesia (0.016in)
  • Spey setup
    • 11ft 150gr Spey Lite head
    • 7ft 35gr Sonar tip
  • Heavy tight line setup
    • 2ft 10lb Amnesia (0.012in)
    • 2ft 2x sighter (0.009in)
Reel 2
  • 3wt fly line
  • Conventional setup
    • Regular leader
  • Light tight line setup
    • 26ft 10lb Amnesia (0.012in)
If anyone gives a crap, I’ll report back as to how this all worked out.

Maybe the possibility of being able to put on a Skagit head will finally push @Long_Rod_Silvers over the edge. 😂

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter

Reel 1
  • Spey setup
    • 7ft 35gr Sonar tip
  • Heavy tight line setup
Reel 2
  • 3wt fly line
  • Conventional setup
    • Regular leader
  • Light tight line setup

Maybe the possibility of being able to put on a Skagit head will finally push @Long_Rod_Silvers over the edge. 😂
To be honest, when I saw what you were trying to do I thought to myself, "that's pretty sweet".

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

Reel 1
  • Spey setup
    • 7ft 35gr Sonar tip
  • Heavy tight line setup
Reel 2
  • 3wt fly line
  • Conventional setup
    • Regular leader
  • Light tight line setup

Oh, I didn’t quite realize your goal here. That’s a perfect setup so you can catch the fish on the tight line and then put the shooting head reel on real quick for the photo. :LOL:

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have liked 40lb Trilene Big Game (the green stuff) mono for my 4wt single hand skagit setup. It's .61mm or 0.0240157in and it plenty slick and quick to shoot like crazy. I can't imagine trying to strip or manage something that is only .016 or .012in. Sounds painful and annoying.
You can get the Trilene stuff for cheap and most guys really like it. They make a 25lb that is blaze orange as well.

It doesn't kink like the Lazar line stuff does and is easy on the fingers. Very easy to strip.

I've even used the 20lb Airflo Ridge line on the 4wt and it was decent.

For the 5wt, I finally just bought a OPST Commando Smooth 200gr. I love it for single hand skagit and even certain overhead situations. Obviously does not align with your current system. You would need another reel. :cool:

On my 7wt switch and 7wt spey rods I use the 30lb Airflo Ridge since it shoots well enough and is nice to manage. The 20lb shoots better, but I don't want to lose any heads. 15 lb Max Ultragreen (for big steelhead or kings) is approaching 20lb breaking strength so don't want to risk it.

Good luck!

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
To be honest, when I saw what you were trying to do I thought to myself, "that's pretty sweet".

If this experiment pays off, my next escapade will be to cut the head off a floating line and use it for dries.

10ft rod, 20ft head, 10-15ft leader. That’s a 40ft cast, without the line leaving the guides. That will cover 90% of the dry fly fishing that I’ll ever do. If it works, I’ll have the ultimate one rod (and one reel) setup.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I can't imagine trying to strip or manage something that is only .016 or .012in. Sounds painful and annoying.

The cool kids just run straight 4x sighter. I didn’t enjoy that. 0.012in+ has been ok, for me. I actually prefer something in the realm of 0.013-0.015in, to 0.017in+, because it generally has no memory and behaves itself.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
If this experiment pays off, my next escapade will be to cut the head off a floating line and use it for dries.

10ft rod, 20ft head, 10-15ft leader. That’s a 40ft cast, without the line leaving the guides. That will cover 90% of the dry fly fishing that I’ll ever do. If it works, I’ll have the ultimate one rod (and one reel) setup.
I was definitely not just talking to a buddy about being able to bomb salmonfly dries into the seams in the middle of the deschutes using a spey rod, late in the hatch after the jungle water has been pounded.

Last edited:

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter

That would be a pretty sweet back country rig. Keep me posted on how things go, please.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The cool kids just run straight 4x sighter. I didn’t enjoy that. 0.012in+ has been ok, for me. I actually prefer something in the realm of 0.013-0.015in, to 0.017in+, because it generally has no memory and behaves itself.
Cool kids have heard of drift rods yeah? :cool:

No hate from me. To each his own. I was high-stick nymphing in the 80s so I get it. Catches a lot of damn fish!

Divad

Whitefish
Curious to know how you will like the 12lb Amnesia for your 150gr head? My 3wt/150gr head setup uses 25lb Amnesia for easy line management specifically to prevent tangles and still have oomf to mend.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Curious to know how you will like the 12lb Amnesia for your 150gr head? My 3wt/150gr head setup uses 25lb Amnesia for easy line management specifically to prevent tangles and still have oomf to mend.

I'm planning to use 15lb, which is pretty close to 30lb Lazar in diameter. I'm so used to handling thin mono that I don't expect it to be an issue. I am, however, wondering how quickly it will sink (at my feet) and how much that will annoy me. I'm not about the stripping basket life.

candr

Steelhead
I just set up a CTS Affinity x 10’ 3 wt for going back and forth between tight line nymphing and a shooting head set up. I am using the Cortland .022 level nymph line (braided core) as my running/nymph line (20lb). Small loop with a nail knot on the end of the nymph line let’s me loop on a euro nymph leader or switch that out to loop on one of the SA TC spey heads. I have the 12 ft spey head kit w 4 different sink rates. Use those for swinging small streamers. Each head is 160 grains. The nymph line is a lot like a coated running line.

skyrise

Steelhead
I use Hydra float as a running line for commando heads or any 300-380 head. Easier to handle and it floats of course it won’t shoot like mono lines. Works as a backing too.