Running Lines

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
For folks that are using shooting heads, without an integrated running line, what is your favorite running line?

I've only used OPST Lazar. It's decent, but it holds more memory than Chameleon or Amnesia. I find that 12lb (0.013in) or 15lb (0.016in) Amnesia holds almost no memory. Would it be a bad idea to go that low?

Last edited:

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Personally, I like miracle braid. Almost never tangles. Shoots good. Easy to handle. Sucks when it's really cold though.

I wouldn't want my running line that weak (12lb). You want the break (if it's gonna happen) to be at the fly.....w/ a really light running line, you run the risk of the break occurring at the running line/shooting head connection, which would be a bummer.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I think I'm an outlier in that I am willing to sacrifice a bit of distance for enjoyable handling and fishing, and so I use floating coated running lines like Airflo Ridge. I haven't tried all the mono running lines, but the ones I did try weren't for me.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use trilene big game on one of mine
OPST lazer on another
The trilene feels better in hand but both work
Also P Line hydro float is good
My fave is the trilene around 30#

SurfnFish

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Trilene Big Game pre stretched, 40# for salmon, 30# for everything else
For pure distance...first time I cast a switch loaded with OPST Lazer and Commando head my jaw dropped

PhilR

Whale Shark
Forum Supporter
I've used mono running line. then I got an inexpensive 4 wt line on Sierra, turned it around, and use that as a coated running line.

Chucker

Steelhead
For folks that are using shooting heads, without an integrated running line, what is your favorite running line?

I've only used OPST Lazar. It's decent, but it holds more memory than Chameleon or Amnesia. I find that 12lb (0.013in) or 15lb (0.016in) Amnesia holds almost no memory. Would it be a bad idea to go that low?

Using a running line that thin is a very bad idea if you are fishing for anything that might take off at speed. I have a scar from a bad line cut I got almost 20 years ago by using a thin braided running line and hooking a bonefish.

I am also one who prefers slightly larger diameter coated running lines, especially ones that have a low stretch core. I have found that being able to throw over 100’ with a mono running line looks cool and feels great, but doesn’t actually translate into more fish caught because you can’t set the hook effectively at that distance because of the line stretch.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Personally, I like miracle braid. Almost never tangles. Shoots good. Easy to handle. Sucks when it's really cold though.

I wouldn't want my running line that weak (12lb). You want the break (if it's gonna happen) to be at the fly.....w/ a really light running line, you run the risk of the break occurring at the running line/shooting head connection, which would be a bummer.
Same here. Love Miracle Braid although it chews up my fingers a bit with a lot of fishing.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
What are you trying to do? Spey style casting/swing or cast/strip?

Makes a huge difference. If the former, any of the 25-40lb mono options given work great (I happen to be partial to Stren Catfish mono in 30lb). You've just gotta be willing to give It a good stretch before using. If the latter, do yourself a favor and just go with a fly line style running line.

Either way, a 12 or 15lb mono will tear your hands up. I mean, go for it if you've already got your mind made up....but, you've been warned.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
What are you trying to do? Spey style casting/swing or cast/strip?

I ordered a 150gr Skagit head, for my 10ft 3wt. I'm wondering how light I can go, on the running line, before it becomes a problem. I'm also just generally curious what folks use, other than Amnesia and Lazar.

My ultimate goal is to swap between tight lining and swinging/stripping, by swapping the sighter and the head.

I know the junction is going to suck for stripping. I'm curious if it's tolerable, if I clinch knot directly onto the welded loop. That's how I connect all my leaders now and it is reasonably smooth.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I do not like mono running lines. the small amount of extra distance you may get is not at all worth the handeling issues. i like 30 lb Airflo ridge running lines.. I don't even like the 20 lb only thing I don't like is the loop to loop connections but you can't have everything I guess

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I ordered a 150gr Skagit head, for my 10ft 3wt. I'm wondering how light I can go, on the running line, before it becomes a problem. I'm also just generally curious what folks use, other than Amnesia and Lazar.

My ultimate goal is to swap between tight lining and swinging/stripping, by swapping the sighter and the head.

I know the junction is going to suck for stripping. I'm curious if it's tolerable, if I clinch knot directly onto the welded loop. That's how I connect all my leaders now and it is reasonably smooth.
I'd be worried about the clinch cutting into the loop of my Skagit head with that thin of a running line

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I'd be worried about the clinch cutting into the loop of my Skagit head with that thin of a running line

My leaders eventually cut through the coating, but the core is strong enough to handle it.

The weight of a head might be a different story. My other idea was to weld a tippet ring into it or make a micro loop.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter

Totally tolerable for stripping. Lightest I'd ever go would be 25 simply because mono is already tough to handle.

SurfnFish

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
my go to for gear reviews including how guides set-up their rods, running lines, etc.

This one is interesting. Ping the various guide, see how they set up for Kings.

Steel rigs

Last edited:
I've always used mono, namely Lazar and Rio Slickshooter. I always found Lazar better, but the slickshooter was cheap and accessible (seems like the Lazar is always out of stock).. I typically replace it every or every other year.

But just a few weeks ago, prior to a trip to the OP, i went to Pacific Fly Fishers to grab some new running line. They recommended Scientific Anglers absolute shooting line, Flat Mono. I used the 42lb version (you'd probably want a little lighter), but that stuff was amazing and a huge step up from anything i've used prior. Hats off to PFF for the spot-on recommendation.

Last edited: