Rod selection advice.

JACO

Just Hatched
So… I bought my first rod / reel combo in November. An Echo Traverse 5wt. Recently I took a casting lesson, and learned a lot. MBased on my form, my instructor suggested that I consider a more medium action rod when buying another. I have been considering an Orvis Clearwater, or perhaps a Sage Vantage or Foundation. I’ve been thinking either a four or six weight to compliment my 5. Today I visited a different shop, and the expert told me that I have it all wrong. He says I need a faster action rod. Im pretty confused.

Now I know that I need to consider where and what kind of fishing I’ll be doing. The honest answer is I’m not sure / all types. I have reservations at Lake Pearrygin near Winthrop, The Metolius, Deception Pass SP, The Yakima River, and I want to do some SRC fishing in the South Sound.

Is there anyone out there interested in steering me in the right direction? Perhaps I should just practice with what I have and try to fight my G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

longputt

Steelhead
I can cast all my rods equally well. It's just something you do. You seem to know how to just cast a different rod differently
I was a Fly Fishing Merit Badge Counselor for many years and the Scouts showed up with all types of rods and lines and I felt obligated to cast them all...well...to avoid everyone thinking they needed a new rod! I think any rod/line can be cast well enough to catch fish, but you have to adjust to the rod.

That being said my go to rod (when not Euro fishing) is a Sage 9' 5wt XP. I can cast it many different ways and I really like it's ability to make S casts. I rarely throw a straight line when dry-fly fishing streams in order to avoid drag and maximize drift.

I think some rods are less versatile, but all will cast and catch trout.