Rod selection advice.

JACO

Just Hatched
So… I bought my first rod / reel combo in November. An Echo Traverse 5wt. Recently I took a casting lesson, and learned a lot. MBased on my form, my instructor suggested that I consider a more medium action rod when buying another. I have been considering an Orvis Clearwater, or perhaps a Sage Vantage or Foundation. I’ve been thinking either a four or six weight to compliment my 5. Today I visited a different shop, and the expert told me that I have it all wrong. He says I need a faster action rod. Im pretty confused.

Now I know that I need to consider where and what kind of fishing I’ll be doing. The honest answer is I’m not sure / all types. I have reservations at Lake Pearrygin near Winthrop, The Metolius, Deception Pass SP, The Yakima River, and I want to do some SRC fishing in the South Sound.

Is there anyone out there interested in steering me in the right direction? Perhaps I should just practice with what I have and try to fight my G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Nobody else can really tell you if you need a faster or slower rod. Since you just started run what you got until you know if you want a faster or slower rod. I've never cast one of those but it's listed as med fast. That seems like a good rod to start. One thing you could try is putting a 6wt line on it and see how it feels.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
If you're going to buy something, I think you should buy something significantly different that can do things your current rod can't. For example, a euro, Spey or Tenkara rod.

RCF

Life of the Party
If you're going to buy something, I think you should buy something significantly different that can do things your current rod can't. For example, a euro, Spey or Tenkara rod.
I humbly disagree. First find out what action of rod agrees with your casting style as well as casting needs/techniques. Some rods just do not agree/compliment your casting style. Other rods just need to be properly matched with a line for the rod you have. To totally change to a style of rod and casting e.g. euro, spey, tenkara can cause nothing but issues.

Since you are taking lessons, they should have different lines compatible with your rod. Dislike saying this but not all rods cast well. The place supporting you with casting should also have rods that are faster/slower than your current rod.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I agree with what has been said above. Get a season under your belt with your 5wt. Determine what you like about the sport and what you want to pursue next season. You might find you want 6wt for nymphing the Yakima. Or you might determine you want a short 3wt for small brushy cutthroat streams on the coast.

My best suggestion is to by top tier rods used as opposed to low or mid priced new rods. Same price better quality..

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I agree with what has been said above. Get a season under your belt with your 5wt. Determine what you like about the sport and what you want to pursue next season. You might find you want 6wt for nymphing the Yakima. Or you might determine you want a short 3wt for small brushy cutthroat streams on the coast.

My best suggestion is to by top tier rods used as opposed to low or mid priced new rods. Same price better quality..
I would tend to agree with the guys, that rod is fine for where your at, spend a season learning to cast and fish with it, then see about a new rod. You'll do much better spending time practicing and just fishing than spending more money on a rod at this point. Since your new your timing and stroke may change as you think less and respond more naturally to the rod loading.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yup. Spend the money on casting lessons or going fishing. If getting a casting lesson you can ask the instructor to bring different rods or if they have a line they think may be better for the rod you have. Lines make a big difference in how a rod performs and feels to you.

I don’t disagree with trying to find the style of rod that is correct for your casting stroke but this early in the game you would be taking some expensive guesses to figure out. Again, ask the casting instructor to bring some different rods to try.

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
See if you can cast some other rods, maybe get together with a few other fly-fishers and test things out.

I got a 5 weight combo (Redington CT) when I first started. I've found that I fish my 3, 4, and 6 weights much more often. That's due to the types of fishing I like to do: small streams and beaches more often than anything else.

A 5 weight can do most of the fishing I like, but it isn't the best tool for any of them. Go fish different places and different techniques for a year and see where you stand. Then when you add another rod that will be the best tool for that style of fishery you want to pursue, you can adjust the speed of the rod to better suit you.

Or, if you have plenty of disposable income, buy a bunch of used rods from the classifieds here, test them out, keep the ones you like and resell the ones you don't for the same price you bought them.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm in the Run What Ya Brung camp. This can be done by finding the line that brings your present rod alive, a poorly matched line can certainly make you feel like you need another rod.

Life can be tough for the gear whores as they chase their tail in pursuit of the latest and greatest. Every year new equipment will appear claiming quantum leaps in performance with an attendant higher price. To counter this tendency I drew a line in the sand at GPX lines in weight forward and 444 peach lines in DT. I bought GPX in 3,4,5 and 6wts to cover my bases and did a similar thing for the DT lines. Same with sinking lines, I tend to find one manufacturer that builds quality stuff and stick with them rather than hopping around between brands looking for some minute advantage.

For rods it is much the same as I buy from two companies and have about 5 rods from each one. I have others of course that I like equally as well but like the standardization of using the same family of rods.

I have solved the problem of not having the right line for the reel I'm using by buying 3 identical reel bodies and a total of 9 spools and 2 other identical reels with 5 spools. Both are out of production now with spools no longer available but 14 lines cover all the needs of the simple fishing I do. I will always believe that time on the water with modest equipment is far more valuable than high end equipment used sparingly. I see little evidence that fly fishing success can be easily bought, it is earned by experience.

I caught my first fish on a fly on July 28, 1951 and yet am still not a great caster nor do I own any high end equipment although I can afford it. But man-do I have a lot of fun!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Buying a bunch of new gear right now would be a giant waste of money.

To be perfectly frank, at this point in your journey you have absolutely no idea what you need, or what you like.

Until you figure out the type of fishing you will be doing, you're not going to know what you need. Until you get comfortable casting, particularly within the realm of the fishing you will actually be doing, you'll have no idea what you like.

I don't mean this in any negative fashion, it's just the way it is. At this point more gear is going to do nothing for you beyond muddying the waters.
And for the record, anyone who claims to be able to watch you cast and somehow identify that you need a faster or slower rod is blowing a lot of smoke up your backside. Anyone can cast a slower rod, just as anyone can cast a faster rod. Personal preference comes when you can actually cast A fly rod well, and know what you like/dislike, and what fits your fishing needs best. Only way to start learning that is to just start fishing and practice casting. The more you're at it you'll be able to start recognizing where your gear is limiting you, and identify what you need your gear to do well for your fishing.

Throwing money at it will accomplish nothing.

Just my 2 cents.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I would reiterate the "stick with it" advice given above. I spent years with only a 9' 5wt and caught fish from bluegill to coho on it. Only thing I won't do with it is target salmon in heavy current, and I wont do that because ive tried it and it sucked fighting fish. Different lines will open up more possibilities than a different rod. Pound that stick until you understand what its shortcomings are on either end of the weight spectrum. Then use those shortcomings to inform your next purchase.

When I was learning to ski my dad drilled into me that you could ski any run on any skis. Its 95% operator, 5% gear. Use what you got until its holding you back, then upgrade.

All this coming from a guy with a 3, 2 4s, 2 5s, a 6, 2 8s and an 8 switch. A 7 switch, 10 spey and a 10ft 3wt and I'll be done I swear.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
@JACO action/flex of rod is a personal preference. Suggest you try a few out on each end of the spectrum and decide from there what you like. Fly shops will usually let you demo cast a rod, give a few a try and see what you like. You may cast a slow rod and love it. Or maybe a fast action feels really good to you. Or maybe you're too new to really know what you like.

Someone telling you what action you should be casting is like someone telling you what kind of beer you should like. They have no idea what your personal preference is. Some people fish bamboo on flats for permit and bonefish, some people fish broomsticks for trout. It's all personal preference.

I'd highly suggest getting a line that you love for that rod before getting a new rod. Here's why, you mentioned maybe getting a 6wt. What if you try a 6wt line on your 5wt and really like how it casts? Would you still want a new 6wt? Probably not right? You'd probably then figure a 4wt or 8wt might be next up in your GAS journey.

So… I bought my first rod / reel combo in November. An Echo Traverse 5wt. Recently I took a casting lesson, and learned a lot. MBased on my form, my instructor suggested that I consider a more medium action rod when buying another. I have been considering an Orvis Clearwater, or perhaps a Sage Vantage or Foundation. I’ve been thinking either a four or six weight to compliment my 5. Today I visited a different shop, and the expert told me that I have it all wrong. He says I need a faster action rod. Im pretty confused.

Now I know that I need to consider where and what kind of fishing I’ll be doing. The honest answer is I’m not sure / all types. I have reservations at Lake Pearrygin near Winthrop, The Metolius, Deception Pass SP, The Yakima River, and I want to do some SRC fishing in the South Sound.

Is there anyone out there interested in steering me in the right direction? Perhaps I should just practice with what I have and try to fight my G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).
Stick with this rod and learn how to cast and fish. Also, understand that most premium flylines are already weighted up 50%. And having someone at a flyshop telling you need to buy a faster rod to suit your casting style is the oldest upsell in the books . . .
Leland

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
What!!!! We're advising to hold off on buying, what has come over everyone - the whole point of fly fishing is to collect as many rods, reels, fly lines, boats, etc, as you can possibly accommodate, and maybe even more, why hold off.

On a more serious note, a lot of good advice above - get time and experience under your belt, after which you will be much more in tune with what you really need and want - your current 5 wt gives you a lot of versatility, you're not terribly restricted.

cheers

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I really don't have anything to add to what's been talked about on here. My first rod was a 6wt because when I got into fly fishing I didn't have a mentor. In 1957 there was no internet and no way to connect with anybody to teach me the ins and outs of casting a fly rod. I made a lot of mistakes in the beginning. But over the years I improved.

Don't worry about buying a new fly rod. Over time as you learn. you will acquire more rods. It's a given thing. Some people on this web site have upwards of 30 fly rods and reels. They weren't all bought in the beginning. Just as you get older you will want a different rod for small skinny water and a bigger rod for the big rivers of this world.

The bottom line is to enjoy yourself when you are out and about in the wide open spaces.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I've bought a few rods over the years from different sources where I didn't "test cast" the rod. Sure, you can buy a top tier rod from someone online at a discount or a shop online, but will you like it? Most shops are going to let you test cast a rod, have them bring a couple rods out with a few different reels/lines.

Several of the un-test casted rods turned out to be a rod I didn't like; they're long gone. On the other hand, last year I bought a discontinued rod when it went on sale. I ignored my own advice, DA.

Have fun.

JACO

Just Hatched
Wow. Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to respond to my question. One of my favorite aspects of this sport has been all the friendly and frank advice and encouragement. I have joined a local fly fishing club and had a blast.

I sort had an idea that it would be smart to ‘run what ya bring’ and your experience backed advice means a lot.

Enjoy the process!

JACO