Rod age?

Chris M

Steelhead
I recently got the Sinclair book on Granger rods and after reading cover to cover I got out my 4 Granger rods and looked them over to confirm what I thought I knew about them. One is an Aristocrat that I bought in 1980. Being pre internet I sent a letter to Wright & McGill seeking information about the rod. They responded with a photo copy of the 1951 catalog so I thought the rod was around that vintage.

Enter the Sinclair book pages 278, 279, and 282 that have information about when Wright & McGill bought the Granger Company. My Aristocrat has a Wright & McGill marked up locking reel seat, Granger Aristocrat stamp on the butt shaft but no Wright & McGill stamp, Goodwin Granger ferrules, and came in a Wright & McGill labeled aluminum tube. So I guess I have a 1942 Goodwin Granger rod with a 1947 Wright & McGill reel seat and tube, all as it came from the factory. Sounds a little like a Johnny Cash song.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Sounds like you've sleuthed it out. Dating a granger or wright and mcgill granger requires you to identify clues associated with reel seat engravings, reel seats, rod make, wraps...Colorado Cane and the Sinclair book (which you bought) are a huge help in reading the tea leaves.