Rezzies

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Looking like I’ll be able to get out for the first time in too many months on Saturday. Unfortunately only for a small window around high tide. As I try and choose my beach I’m wondering if people have been running into many rezzies yet.

Seems like they’ve generally been sparser in the south sound in winter over the past couple years. Maybe fewer net pens cranking them out? But as far as I know the Squaxin pens are still up and running so there should be some…

Thanks for the intel.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Also hoping for a better rezzie year. Last year had a hard time tracking them down even from the boat, only a few here and there. This is usually around the time of year I would start running into them near the big bridge.

Greg Price

Steelhead
Yeh I never found them in great quantities near grandma's low hangers last year. Hoping for a more normal year this year. Positive side was I never had a crowd with me. Beach wide open

Reactions: NRC

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
No rezzies spotted in Case or Carr inlet at my two beaches today. But thankfully got into some cutties. Some big stuff rolling - dunno if small salmon or really nice cutties. They did not present me the opportunity to find out.FB7049B6-C1A9-4F13-AF42-F0CB34B8F26C.jpeg

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Im not the sharpest tool in the shed. What are " rezzies"? Im guessing maybe resident Rainbows??

Thank you in advance.

Bob
Resident coho. Often the result of hatchery fish held in saltwater net pens a while longer before release, and they hang out in Puget Sound rather than migrate to the North Pacific.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Resident coho. Often the result of hatchery fish held in saltwater net pens a while longer before release, and they hang out in Puget Sound rather than migrate to the North Pacific.
Often but not entirely. Many fishermen are under the impression that Resident Coho’s are entirely a hatchery population, but it turns out a substantial minority of in river fish both wild and hatchery residualize in the sound. A study in 2014 (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02755947.2014.892548 paywall unfortunately) found rates of residualization ranged from as low as 1% to as high as 18%

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Often but not entirely. Many fishermen are under the impression that Resident Coho’s are entirely a hatchery population, but it turns out a substantial minority of in river fish both wild and hatchery residualize in the sound. A study in 2014 (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02755947.2014.892548 paywall unfortunately) found rates of residualization ranged from as low as 1% to as high as 18%
True. I was trying to keep it high-level. But if one wanted to get into the weeds, here's the whole thesis for that work referenced above, with no paywall:

"In conclusion, the hatchery practice of delayed release tended to increase resident behavior of Puget Sound Coho Salmon, though the great majority of fish were caught in coastal waters rather than in Puget Sound as residents, or during the late summer when the two groups were mixed as they prepared to enter streams for spawning. Moreover, wild fish were at least as likely to become residents as were hatchery-produced fish. Residency is apparently related to environmental factors that vary with year, season, or the local conditions at the location of marine entry. Moreover, the environmental variation in Puget Sound seems to influence resident behavior in Chinook Salmon as well. By revealing the importance of environmental conditions our results have raised fundamental questions about the biotic and abiotic variation of Puget Sound. Which environmental factors most strongly influence resident behavior in salmon: the distribution and dynamics of prey and predators, or oceanographic conditions? While these results provide some insights, the future of research on the migration of Puget Sound salmon will benefit greatly from increased monitoring of biotic and abiotic environmental conditions."

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
True. I was trying to keep it high-level. But if one wanted to get into the weeds, here's the whole thesis for that work referenced above, with no paywall:

"In conclusion, the hatchery practice of delayed release tended to increase resident behavior of Puget Sound Coho Salmon, though the great majority of fish were caught in coastal waters rather than in Puget Sound as residents, or during the late summer when the two groups were mixed as they prepared to enter streams for spawning. Moreover, wild fish were at least as likely to become residents as were hatchery-produced fish. Residency is apparently related to environmental factors that vary with year, season, or the local conditions at the location of marine entry. Moreover, the environmental variation in Puget Sound seems to influence resident behavior in Chinook Salmon as well. By revealing the importance of environmental conditions our results have raised fundamental questions about the biotic and abiotic variation of Puget Sound. Which environmental factors most strongly influence resident behavior in salmon: the distribution and dynamics of prey and predators, or oceanographic conditions? While these results provide some insights, the future of research on the migration of Puget Sound salmon will benefit greatly from increased monitoring of biotic and abiotic environmental conditions."
Knowing this makes letting the unclippeds go in Area 9 over the Summer a little easier

Grandpa Jim

Steelhead
I landed several kings on the fly in August from Area 9 beaches. They were mainly in the low 20" range, some clipped, some not. Because of the size, I assumed that they were all "resident" fish but was surprised to see unclipped fish in the mix. I chalked the "nates" off as "unclipped" hatchery fish. After reading today's posts on this topic, maybe I was wrong about them all being hatchery fish?

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I landed several kings on the fly in August from Area 9 beaches. They were mainly in the low 20" range, some clipped, some not. Because of the size, I assumed that they were all "resident" fish but was surprised to see unclipped fish in the mix. I chalked the "nates" off as "unclipped" hatchery fish. After reading today's posts on this topic, maybe I was wrong about them all being hatchery fish?
Unclipped kings are probably naturally occurring fish as we no longer have net pens for resident Chinook and I remember being told that the state and tribes are more careful to mark all hatchery chinook than they are with other species. This article implies that the fishery only existed after the hatchery enhancement effort, but indirectly confirms that wild blackmouths do exist by explaining how the hatchery process worked: After net pens fell out of use, fish intended to be kept as residents would be held in freshwater for a year. This occurs in wild fish, but is much more common in northern BC and Alaska than in the south. Such fish are called “stream type” chinook. In the late 19th century, there was commercial and recreational fishing of salmon year round, suggesting some degree of residence

For the Coho there probably are a ton of unclipped hatchery fish. I haven’t read up on what proportion of the Resident Coho are the netpen fish but I imagine they are the majority

Last edited: