Repair ideas?

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hey folks, this is probably an inappropriate section of PNFF for this post, but I know the folks who read this section of the forum and value your wisdom. Years ago I built a 9’ 6 wt fly rod for my nephew using a hard to find Fisher Presidential blank. He’s loved fishing it but had an unfortunate fall yesterday and the rod snapped in two at mid cork grip. He’s bringing it with him when he visits for Christmas so I can take a closer look. I can probably remount a new cork grip and seat at the point of the break making the rod an 8’3” rod, but I’m wondering if the two pieces could somehow be reconnected using some type of sleeve and epoxy, then replacing the cork over the repair. Thoughts? file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/60/00/ADFEDF67-C039-40E9-AE15-FFB0001DDF1F/IMG_2067.HEIC

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A splice under the grip should not alter the personality of the rod, Like Tim suggested (y) I would think that it would be easily done by any rod maker.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
OH ! In that case a dowel as suggested by Steve should do it. I guess I must have a bad case of bamboo on the brain.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
You can use a Stint like you use when mounting a reel seat to a fiberglass rod.

For a stint, you can cut a section out of an old rod you my have or buy a beater rod, fly or spinning, from Goodwill to sacrifice.

Last edited:

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Did you fix the rod yet?
My nephew brought it to our house when he visited for Christmas. We looked it over and discussed inserting a dowel and using 2-part expoxy to fuse it back together. The break was amazingly clean and I think the repair will work, but he wanted to do it himself so I'm waiting to hear his results.