Reminiscing about Roosters

Replicant

Steelhead
I managed to get two good hunts in last Fall. This is from a hunt in South Dakota back in early December. It was bitter cold, and I managed to dodge a big storm heading out and another slammer, coming home. In fact, the day I headed out, was when that guy caused a thirty car pile up on I-90.
IMG_5360.jpg
Ignore the speedometer ;). In my defense, I was in eastern Montana by that time.
tempImageM7rgMX.jpg
tempImagek3cNh5.jpg
Small town. We stayed in a cozy shop, owned by the farmer who's land we hunted. One of the neighbor's explained that they recently had a population boom, when someone took in four foster kids, elevating the population to 12.
tempImagefqYWGT.jpg
Four dogs on this trip, including the largest GSP I've ever known. A surprisingly sweet boy. The Drahthaar is my cousin's dog. She's a sweetie and made one of those epic points that I'll never forget. Three of us walking a draw with both of these dogs. She locked up, almost contorted as she had twisted her head back around to the bird. The rooster flushed and I watched and waited for my cousin to take it. He couldn't get a shot from his angle (for fear of hitting the dog), so when he dropped his gun, I raised mine and took it. It was a long shot, but I dropped it like a stone.
tempImageLs0n8g.jpg
Arguing like idiots, not realizing that the dog is on point.
Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 7.23.51 PM.png
One of the two Pudelpointers bringing in a well earned rooster.
tempImageJhIU6Q.jpg
It was in the single digits in this pic. I'm smiling, because while the sharptail's we were after had flushed too early, I had already had my bag limit of roosters.
tempImage58bLah.jpg
Late season Pheasant's are hard. We easily put up twenty hens to every rooster we came across. I took this sunrise pic after missing a straight away shot at a Hun. Turns out that I don't shoot well with bulky clothing on. I learned to layer appropriately and ditch the baggy coat.
tempImagevnVT2d.jpg
I love these dogs and this breed so much that I put myself on the list for one back in November. If all goes well, I'll pick her up in two weeks. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 7.23.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 7.23.51 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 11

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
It looks and sounds like a great time! Those are some good looking dogs and birds. Congrats on your new pup and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Replicant

Steelhead
tempImageLSBpwg.jpg
Sleepy boy.
tempImagecyYtxo.jpg
Clowning around.
tempImage4pBW3n.jpg
We human's we're averaging ten miles a day. The dogs were doing double to triple. Those paws get tender after a while.
tempImagewKM6VU.jpg
I love this picture of my second cousin holding his first hun and the dog with the possessed look in her eyes.
tempImage1B3xyY.jpg
I watched (with no exaggeration) hundreds of birds fly and run across this old dirt road.
tempImageSU5xJz.jpg
Just a joke people. Professional actor (clown) at work here.
tempImagePT92er.jpg
tempImagerkApSo.jpg
tempImageOVWBad.jpg
Long tails and spurs. My full limit of late season Phez. Thanks for joining me on this fond memory. I made it home, and beat the next storm, only by hours. Another buddy of mine was hunting at the same time in northeast Montana. We kept in touch with each other for the sake of safety. He left a day later than I did and got caught in the storm. Spent a couple of days waiting it out in Billings. I came home, did some work, did some snowboarding and promptly got sick with Covid over Christmas break. Recovered, and back at it. I'm looking forward to the new pup and to some spring fishing.

ianpadron

Steelhead
Nothing, and I mean nothing, is better than dumping roosters over a good team of dogs. Looks like some great huntin'

I use Mushers Secret on both my pups come late season, keeps their pads from cracking and prevents snow build up.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Great trip, it brings back some memories, the small town my dad grew up in SD is so desolate now, I think theres only 2 family members left there.

Grandma made the best fried pheasant, if I could go back in time!

RCF

Life of the Party
Great memories for sure. When I was young our family had an Irish Setter that loved to hunt. Two weeks before Opening Day he would not allow the station wagon to leave the garage without him being in it. My dad and I had not even gotten out any gear or clothing ---> but he KNEW! Dad and I were hunting in SD, our shots were right on. We missed one bird and Rusty looked up, then all around. Then with a forlorned look he peered back at us - WTF duuudes!

Replicant

Steelhead
Great memories for sure. When I was young our family had an Irish Setter that loved to hunt. Two weeks before Opening Day he would not allow the station wagon to leave the garage without him being in it. My dad and I had not even gotten out any gear or clothing ---> but he KNEW! Dad and I were hunting in SD, our shots were right on. We missed one bird and Rusty looked up, then all around. Then with a forlorned look he peered back at us - WTF duuudes!
The dogs always know.

Reactions: RCF

Replicant

Steelhead
Nothing, and I mean nothing, is better than dumping roosters over a good team of dogs. Looks like some great huntin'

I use Mushers Secret on both my pups come late season, keeps their pads from cracking and prevents snow build up.
Good tip. Thanks. The girl with the boots on is a little bit on the high maintenance side. However, she’s also the one that finds all the birds.