Red's Trout Spey Clave anyong going?

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
https://redsflyfishing.com/pages/trout-spey-clave

I can't remember if I originally saw this posted here somewhere and couldn't find it with a search so I'm posting this up. I just got my roof top tent this week and I took a couple days off from work this weekend so I am gonna go check out this seminar. Anyone else going?

I've never fished the Yak so I thought I'd set up camp at one of the campgrounds and try my hand at it. Any suggestions for campgrounds in the canyon that I might find better than others for access to some wade fishing?

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I was thinking about going. Not sure yet. You could camp at Big Pines.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Lmuma only has a couple of campsites, but if you head upstream from there, the wade fishing is pretty accessible.
Don't forget the recreation areas in the canyon aren't Discover Pass areas anymore (and haven't been for years now).

WonkyWapiti

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well I ended up camping at Big Pine and got in late on Friday and got to throw a line in the river. With all the backcountry camping I've done in recent years I don't quite remember how long it's been since I've been at an actual campground but it sure seemed different than I remember. One dude had his speakers blaring music til after midnight, luckily it was country music. Then when that ended I got to listen to someone who couldn't do without their generator that sounded like a motocross bike all night. Got colder than a well digger's arse at night, actually snowed a bit before I went to bed.

The Spey Clave was pretty cool. I knew nothing about spey fishing going in and learned alot which was my goal. I have so many things I want to focus on doing and improving in my current fly fishing that I think I'll wait another year to try Spey casting. @NukeLDO and @Bob Rankin thanks for the tips.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yeah, the campgrounds have gotten out of control. People just seem to have no respect for others around them. We were in Furnace Creek campground back in Jan and checked out early due to the inconsiderate people. I've camped at rock concert campgrounds that were more subdued!