Recent additions/improvements you've made to your bench

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
My tying bench used to be in a dark, shitty corner of our unfinished basement. I only had a bad overhead light and 2 cheap LED desk lights. Needless to say it was extremely un inspiring working in it.
Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 11.21.53 AM.png

But the past 6 months I've been slowly finishing my basement (I basically work on it post kid bedtime) and Im just about done with 1/4 of it (ha!). This section is me and my wife's office but I also now have a much better tying desk. So much better and I'm celebrating by matching this weekends hatch (eggs, obviously). Still need to move all my materials in, and organize. But at the very least, it's functional.
IMG_6205.jpeg
IMG_6206.jpeg

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
My tying bench used to be in a dark, shitty corner of our unfinished basement. I only had a bad overhead light and 2 cheap LED desk lights. Needless to say it was extremely un inspiring working in it

Much better, I'm about to start on a similar project. I have to drag everything out in boxes and try and find a space between the chaos to put my vice and try to tie a fly, me and 3 ladies in about 1000 square feet. So I found a dark back corner of the furnace room next to the crawlspace access that has a metal shelf I'm going to convert to a little tying bench.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve finally got approval for a permanent location for a bench…will be finishing moving all my stuff there next month…

cedarslug

Steelhead
My tying bench used to be in a dark, shitty corner of our unfinished basement. I only had a bad overhead light and 2 cheap LED desk lights. Needless to say it was extremely un inspiring working in it.
View attachment 37216

But the past 6 months I've been slowly finishing my basement (I basically work on it post kid bedtime) and Im just about done with 1/4 of it (ha!). This section is me and my wife's office but I also now have a much better tying desk. So much better and I'm celebrating by matching this weekends hatch (eggs, obviously). Still need to move all my materials in, and organize. But at the very least, it's functional.
View attachment 37214
View attachment 37215

Nice! Now tell us about the Aeron chair. I've used one of those chairs at work long ago, and have been thinking about getting a refurb Aeron for home

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Nice! Now tell us about the Aeron chair. I've used one of those chairs at work long ago, and have been thinking about getting a refurb Aeron for home
Ha! Good eye.

It was a gift to myself after all the work of building out the basement office. I found it on Craigslist used for significant cheaper than new (like 1/3). I’m happy with it! Before I was using a busted all dining room chair, not great since I sit at it 40+ hours a week

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I recently bought my first home. It has 4 floors, 5 toilets and a rooftop deck. Only 2 adults and a baby live here, but somehow I still don't have space for a tying desk. 😭

Context: Babies take over your house. For example, our dining table is the same tiny $40 IKEA one that we had in our apartment, because her play pen takes up half the dining room.

Last edited:

Bagman

Steelhead
Very cool. I'll have to add one to my bench - when I get one again (lost my cave while we're stuck in a rental). The only critique is I would question the accuracy of fly motion given the induced turbulence from the nozzle jet (as opposed to action imparted by the fly simply moving through water). Although that wouldn't be too difficult to fix by rigging some sort of flow expander with a grid of laminar flow vanes.

BTW, do they make a larger model for saltwater and musky flies? Some of the squid and mackerel patterns I tie would be hanging out both sides.
I made my own, the biggest problem I had was keeping the water, and the tank clean.

cedarslug

Steelhead
Ha! Good eye.

It was a gift to myself after all the work of building out the basement office. I found it on Craigslist used for significant cheaper than new (like 1/3). I’m happy with it! Before I was using a busted all dining room chair, not great since I sit at it 40+ hours a week

Nice! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled when I rearrange my current work desk and setup.

I recently bought my first home. It has 4 floors, 5 toilets and a rooftop deck. Only 2 adults and a baby live here, but somehow I still don't have space for a tying desk. 😭

Context: Babies take over your house. For example, our dining table is the same tiny $40 IKEA one that we had in our apartment, because her play pen takes up half the dining room.

5 toilets?!? Are you in a McMansion or something? 🤣

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter

Hey, congrats on the new home!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
My son moved out of the house in March. Now that my Westport season is over I'm in the process of moving all my tying stuff from the living room into the spare bedroom. It's a slow process, but I'm getting there. Got everything out of the living room and into the bedroom, which was a MAJOR chore. Now I'm working on getting the last of his stuff out of the bedroom and getting it all organized. It's a work in progress but I'm excited to finally have a place for all my fishing stuff.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
My son moved out of the house in March. Now that my Westport season is over I'm in the process of moving all my tying stuff from the living room into the spare bedroom. It's a slow process, but I'm getting there. Got everything out of the living room and into the bedroom, which was a MAJOR chore. Now I'm working on getting the last of his stuff out of the bedroom and getting it all organized. It's a work in progress but I'm excited to finally have a place for all my fishing stuff.

Bittersweet I assume?

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
5 toilets?!? Are you in a McMansion or something? 🤣

It's a townhome, so it's smaller than it sounds. It needs a lot of toilets, because the stairs are exhausting.

My colleagues and I once joked about Bill Gates' house having 24 toilets. He could go an entire month without using the same toilet twice. That's how you know you've made it. I can only go one week, so I've got some work to do.

cedarslug

Steelhead
It's a townhome, so it's smaller than it sounds. It needs a lot of toilets, because the stairs are exhausting.

My colleagues and I once joked about Bill Gates' house having 24 toilets. He could go an entire month without using the same toilet twice. That's how you know you've made it. I can only go one week, so I've got some work to do.

Haha well congrats on the new home and baby! We just had a kid last year, and now each room at our place has toys, books, and diapers.

cedarslug

Steelhead

When your son comes to visit and stay the night, will he stay in the tying room? :LOL:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

Before he died my dad had his dream log cabin home on a few acres with a pond…in the upstairs bathroom he had a loaded .243 Mannlicher with which he shot a whitetail through the window while his pants were around his knees and a Field & Stream on his lap…that’s how you know you made it…

Bagman

Steelhead
I’m sure someone else has came up with this idea already but this is one I made. Im sending a reel to have it switch from a right hand wind to a left hand wind. The the thought of winding a 1000 yards of 80 lb of braid by hand didn’t sound like fun. For just over $2.00 I made this and with the wife’s help holding the reel and me on the drill it only took a few minute. In doing this I found a problem in the backing that could have cost me not only a big fish but also my fly line. I also made one that works on a Rio fly line spool.

Attachments

• C22BDBC0-0EBE-48F1-B6E7-FC8999725A50.jpeg
    C22BDBC0-0EBE-48F1-B6E7-FC8999725A50.jpeg
    578.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 963C3DB1-B5B7-4E63-B586-C40A6376F69F.jpeg
    963C3DB1-B5B7-4E63-B586-C40A6376F69F.jpeg
    485.3 KB · Views: 18
  • C23EB57E-868B-4924-A102-5E0F2D01901B.jpeg
    C23EB57E-868B-4924-A102-5E0F2D01901B.jpeg
    514.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 9C8EC5B3-BD81-4737-919A-DEC228C2F565.jpeg
    9C8EC5B3-BD81-4737-919A-DEC228C2F565.jpeg