Rain Jacket

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
You can buy zipper repair kits that are really just new sliders with closer tolerances. If the teeth of the zipper are actually damaged it is toast but if the teeth are intact it can probably be fixed. There is a ton of zipper repair kits on the market, Google zipper repair and see what you find.
Thanks, that makes sense. I was thinking there was an option to replace a zipper with broken teeth, got me all excited.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
These folks have helped me with a couple zipper repairs.
They have a store on Aurora Ave No. You might even get asked if you are looking for a date if you visit their store. 😉
It’s been awhile, but last time I was there it cost me a whole $0.89 to fix the zipper on my coat.
SF

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Yeah, the teeth were fine on my coats for the most part. If you can sow, you can replace the whole deal but I’m not tackling that! Replacing the slider on a zipper is really easy using kits that are fairly cheap.

31E2B823-6570-4FDD-99DA-43892E0023D9.jpeg

Rio Grande King

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The thing that goes first for me on wading garments is zippers. Not enough (any?) manufacturers making cold weather salt water fly fishing gear. Corrosion has killed a lot of jackets the last 8-9 years. Hoping Grudens entry into the market might change that. That said, a $15 dollar zipper repair kit can make the difference between sending something in to be fixed and waiting months to get back, or getting them back into the rotation after putting in 15 minutes of effort. All three of these jackets/sweatshirts were fixed this week. The Simms wading jacket and Patagonia puffy would have been fixed by them (both about a year old). Who has time for that :). The sweatshirt is just an old comfy one I’ve owned for years that needed a new zipper.

Besides corrosion, the Simms Freestone jacket (pictured) served me well the last year in western WA fishing year around. I also have an Orvis Clearwater jacket that is only a couple months old and has been solid. Both reasonably priced for wading dedicated jackets.

View attachment 61338
Go Griz !

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm a big fan of the Outdoor Research Foray jacket. Gortex, 12oz weight, huge pit vents that you can use to turn it basically into a poncho and cover a pack for hiking in, and stores in a tiny pocket so you can take it anywhere. I've bought two of them for cheap-ish used over the years and they hold up well.

Also, Go Griz! haha

Reactions: Zak

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a handful of rain jackets (Marmot precip, a mountain hardware one, the $99 REI co-op jacket), but my favorite is my Orvis ultralight wading jacket. It’s 3 layer and super lightweight. I really like the cuffs because they have a like a rubber gasket inside that helps keep my arms dry when I have to dip into the water. It goes on sale every now and then, and when it does it’s a killer deal. The only drawback is the lack of pit zips, but the two chest pockets are mesh inside, so if I really need to vent I open those up.

dep

Steelhead
no one mentions Northface. I like mine a lot and got it from Costco for like 90.00.
it is full length, not shorties for fishing, but it works great!