Rain Jacket

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well my 8-9 year old rain jacket as had it. I kinda knew it was going a bit but I put it to the test today on the pacific coast in Oregon and came away pretty damp under it after 90 minutes. It is nasty out here. High winds. Non stop rain. Feels like horse flies biting you when the rain hits your face. The 6 weight will see no action I’m afraid.

IMG_2647.jpegIMG_2646.jpegIMG_2645.jpeg

So my Marmot goretex is toast. Served me well. I have had Helly Hanson, Columbia, and Simms in the past and all did a commendable job. The Helly was real impressive but when it went it was a fast turn for the worse. The others gave you plenty of warning that they were failing.

So being in the market for a new rain jacket what is out there that I should probably check out before I make a decision. Looking at Dryness not insulation. Lightweight with a few functional pockets but nothing crazy. I’m willing to pay if it’s a great product. Also multi-purpose in terms of hiking, fishing, boating, and beach combing….. staying dry is the main thing. Thanks

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Well my 8-9 year old rain jacket as had it. I kinda knew it was going a bit but I put it to the test today on the pacific coast in Oregon and came away pretty damp under it after 90 minutes. It is nasty out here. High winds. Non stop rain. Feels like horse flies biting you when the rain hits your face. The 6 weight will see no action I’m afraid.

View attachment 61070View attachment 61071View attachment 61072

So my Marmot goretex is toast. Served me well. I have had Helly Hanson, Columbia, and Simms in the past and all did a commendable job. The Helly was real impressive but when it went it was a fast turn for the worse. The others gave you plenty of warning that they were failing.

So being in the market for a new rain jacket what is out there that I should probably check out before I make a decision. Looking at Dryness not insulation. Lightweight with a few functional pockets but nothing crazy. I’m willing to pay if it’s a great product. Also multi-purpose in terms of hiking, fishing, boating, and beach combing….. staying dry is the main thing. Thanks
I have been very happy with my Outdoor Research Foray jacket. But I wear a cheaper and higher cut deep wading jacket for fishing.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Try Revivex or similar products that restore water repellentcy to goretex and other breathable waterproof jackets. I just did that with an old Simms goretex jacket that I liked because it was very lightweight. Well worth the experiment.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One thing I will say about modern wading jackets is make sure the hood covers the bill of your hat. If it doesn't the bill of your hat gets wet, seeps up to the brim, and all of the sudden you have a wet head. My old SST had a big hood that kept me covered. The newer version(maybe 3-5 years old) is nice and light and keeps me dry with lots of features, but the hood comes down about id brim. I go through 3 hats a day because of it.

That said I have 2 fishing jackets I rely on:
Simms Bulkley jacket. Its insulated and keeps me warm in the coldest of conditions. Cant imagine winter fishing without it, but not what you are looking for. The double cuff is killer.
Second is a Patagonia Torrenshell jacket. Cheap but full of features(like zip out pits) and solid for a couple years. Spend $100 every 2 years or $500 every 3-4? This is my walkn' wade jacket.

Last edited:

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Sitka dewpoint jacket is tough to beat for an all around outdoor jacket. Have worn it thru some brutal rains and came out dry every time. wieghts in at only 12.5 oz., so it's great for a hiking rain jacket too.
If you don't mind the solid colors, I have one (I bought a backup) new with tags if you're interested in a solid blue in XL.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I personally like a lightweight rain jacket, regardless of the season.
Currently on my my second Simms PacLite jacket. The first one gave out after many years of service. I bought two on closeout for $69.00 each, so I have a spare waiting on the bench should the current one I’m using fail. I don’t anticipate that happening anytime soon. It keeps me dry and works great as a windbreaker as well.
I had a Simms Guide jacket which eventually failed and a Patagonia River Salt that I never wear. Just too bulky for my likes.
If I didn’t have the Simms jackets, I’d be wearing something like the Patagonia Minimalist.
SF

SurfnFish

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Have a heavy duty Patagonia shell going on 20 years, have zero idea on what model, still dry as a bone, picked up at the Patagonia Outlet on River St in Santa Cruz (screaming deals), give it a washing and coat of Revivex every few years.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

View attachment 61070View attachment 61071View attachment 61072

I am bringing an 8 weight and some extra layers. And, incidentally, a Redington rain jacket that seems to be on its way out.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Look up reviews on Outdoor Gear Lab. They're very thorough.

I strongly recommend getting a cheap soft shell and a cheap hard shell, rather than one expensive "do it all" jacket. In the snow or light rain, a $200 soft shell will almost always outperform a $1,000 hard shell.

Personally, I have a Black Diamond Dawn Patrol soft shell and an Outdoor Research Foray hard shell. I can't actually remember the last time I used my hard shell; I rarely find myself in snow or rain that is heavy enough to justify it. However, it is there if I need it.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Look up reviews on Outdoor Gear Lab. They're very thorough.

I strongly recommend getting a cheap soft shell and a cheap hard shell, rather than one expensive "do it all" jacket. In the snow or light rain, a $200 soft shell will almost always outperform a $1,000 hard shell.

Personally, I have a Black Diamond Dawn Patrol soft shell and an Outdoor Research Foray hard shell. I can't actually remember the last time I used my hard shell; I rarely find myself in snow or rain that is heavy enough to justify it. However, it is there if I need it.
How do you like the OR Foray? Was eyeballing those a while back and they're 30%-40% off now. For some reason I feel like I can never have too many jackets.....

Mukman

Life of the Party
I have multiple rain shells (due mainly to irresponsibility): Arcteryx, Outdoor Research and FrogTogs. I like Arcteryx the best, but I'm not sure I see enough of an advantage over the OR to justify the significantly higher price (the Arcteryx was given to me). My FrogTogs jacket feels heavy and cheap compared to the other two, but is by far the least expensive, and it does a great job of keeping the rain off of me. Outdoor Research is my Goldilocks jacket - I have the Dryline jacket. Layer underneath, stay dry and warm all day.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Why not stick with Marmot? Their Goretex rain jacket is still a great product. One of the most useful things I own.

Yes that will be revisited of course. It performed very well in some big downpours for me. I have not been in tune with rain jackets the past several years so was curious of thoughts out there and see if I should look for something out of my own thinking limited range. For instance Sitka, know about them but never gave them a thought.

I believe my Marmot is also called the minimalist. It has the pit vents too, another good feature. So today I noticed another wearing a Columbia titanium that looked nice and lightweight and another fella had a Simms light weight looking rain jacket. The thing about the Simms was I knew it was a simms from 30 yards away. Big advertisement on arm sleeve and chest (or maybe it was the back I forget now but big bold white letters on the two tone grey let me know it was a Simms) ….. if it works I don’t care!!!

Thanks for suggestions. I like the idea of having two rain jackets, I’ll try to revive my marmot ( asked my wife today and she said she has never treated it, so I’ll give it a try.) I bought it the summer of 2012 according to her, which seems right…. but I’m still getting another lightweight rain jacket.

Last edited:

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I love my Simms Pro4G for all day rain use, and my Simms Flyweight shell for packable summer use. Both are solid pieces, and are as good as it gets.

Reactions: Zak

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
I have two GoreTex Pro rain shells, one Simms, one Patagonia, that I found on close out maybe 6-7 years ago. The Simms is Safety orange and the Pata is lime green. Both keep me dry in all day soaking rain. The Simms is the stiffer/bulkier of the two. The Patagonia is super lightweight and my favorite rain shell ever. I haven’t researched whether fabrics have evolved beyond GoreTex Pro but it was the best available at the time.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
The thing that goes first for me on wading garments is zippers. Not enough (any?) manufacturers making cold weather salt water fly fishing gear. Corrosion has killed a lot of jackets the last 8-9 years. Hoping Grudens entry into the market might change that. That said, a $15 dollar zipper repair kit can make the difference between sending something in to be fixed and waiting months to get back, or getting them back into the rotation after putting in 15 minutes of effort. All three of these jackets/sweatshirts were fixed this week. The Simms wading jacket and Patagonia puffy would have been fixed by them (both about a year old). Who has time for that :). The sweatshirt is just an old comfy one I’ve owned for years that needed a new zipper.

Besides corrosion, the Simms Freestone jacket (pictured) served me well the last year in western WA fishing year around. I also have an Orvis Clearwater jacket that is only a couple months old and has been solid. Both reasonably priced for wading dedicated jackets.

8EA52FEF-482A-4B7E-BB2D-D301945AF55D.jpeg

Last edited:

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
The thing that goes first for me on wading garments is zippers. Not enough (any?) manufacturers making cold weather salt water fly fishing gear. Corrosion has killed a lot of jackets the last 8-9 years. Hoping Grudens entry into the market might change that. That said, a $15 dollar zipper repair kit can make the difference between sending something in to be fixed and waiting months to get back, or getting them back into the rotation after putting in 15 minutes of effort. All three of these jackets/sweatshirts were fixed this week. The Simms wading jacket and Patagonia puffy would have been fixed by them (both about a year old). Who has time for that :). The sweatshirt is just an old comfy one I’ve owned for years that needed a new zipper.

Besides corrosion, the Simms Freestone jacket (pictured) served me well the last year in western WA fishing year around. I also have an Orvis Clearwater jacket that is only a couple months old and has been solid. Both reasonably priced for wading dedicated jackets.

View attachment 61338
Zipper repair kit? I'm intrigued. Can you elaborate on this a bit please? Do you mean you can get kits to replace the zipper if it's not functioning?

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Zipper repair kit? I'm intrigued. Can you elaborate on this a bit please? Do you mean you can get kits to replace the zipper if it's not functioning?
You can buy zipper repair kits that are really just new sliders with closer tolerances. If the teeth of the zipper are actually damaged it is toast but if the teeth are intact it can probably be fixed. There is a ton of zipper repair kits on the market, Google zipper repair and see what you find.