Quickie Winter Lake Report

Normally I would not post a report for a ho hum lake day catching ho hum trout. It’s winter though and some folks aren’t able to get out so I thought I’d share.

Piss poor salt reports from @Stonedfish and @Kfish yesterday, plus the big slack tide at daybreak sent me to a local western Washington lake this morning. Overall, chilly, heavy rain, pretty slow morning. Four coastal cuts to hand. I was the only guy fishing. Probably fairly recent stockers but still really pretty coloration.

They all took a small white bugger, retrieved very slowly on a type 3/5 line. Except for one, all were taken towards the end of the retrieve so fairly deep. Saw a little bit of activity near the surface. May have been able to do a little better if I tried fishing chironomids but I am pretty new to still water fishing and have not figured that out quite yet.

CD5A0105-19CF-409C-8A56-70820CF2BEFB.jpeg

473E8BF3-5CCC-44A5-84C6-8077CE6DB0EC.jpeg

B833C08A-E50F-4817-945A-1637FAE2F646.jpeg

1EA18D34-3E9C-48AC-997B-FFADB3ADB46D.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Very pretty fish!

Otter

Steelhead
Those are some crazy spots. Like leopard cutt-bows or something.
Amazing! I've never seen blotches like that on a trout. Are those from one specific watershed (no name needed), or are they common state-wide? I've only fished once in Washington (Cranberry Lake, circa 1965.)