Puyallup Sportsmans Show

SRC&Bassbum

Steelhead
Was thinking of going to the Puyallup Sportsmans show next week but it doesn’t look like there is much fly fishing related. It’s been quite some time since I’ve went. Has anyone been to it in recent years?

Last edited:

Porter2

Life of the Party
Nope. But last time I went maybe 15 + years ago there was basically zilch for fly fishing. Maybe a couple of booths that did conventional and fly fishing, but didn’t notice any fly fishing gear or fly fishing promotions of any significance.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Slight thread drift here. Was thinking of heading to the Fly Fishing Show in New Jersey this weekend but decided to head to Atlanta next weekend instead. Equi-distant 500 miles. Vendor attendance appears to be down somewhat. I’m aware of at least 8 vendors that are not attending, 5 of which I consider good acquaintances.
The big exclamation point is Sage is among those not attending. I remember when they would have a combined 4 - 8 units. Huge outlay of $$ to attend has to affect eventual CoG and bottom line.
There’s a large part of our “new & improved” $1000 fly rods.
The landscape has certainly changed dramatically over the last 10-15 years.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
The Puyallup show is pretty lame in my opinion. I happen to be near there a few years ago and stopped by. I was out of there in less than an hour. It used to be a lot better show years ago.
Another problem was I kept running into people since more than half were dressed in full camo……. ;)
SF

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have gone for years, didn't go last year but my brother did and he said it was really small and almost no fly stuff.

I go as an outing just to see new and sparkly fishing (but I am not a purist, forgive me I hear fish also) and boating stuff. I have manned several booths for clubs/organizations over the years and so part of the attraction is social also. On thing that I have heard and seen over the years is there just didn't seem to be enough support or fly fishing community in Washington. I have gone to the Fly Fishing Show for years also, and it always surprises me how empty it looks attendance it is. Also, several veneers I have know said the site attended (as an average) just didn't buy or book English to make it worth them getting a both.

I know this my statements might/will be controversial but that is what I heard and was told.

I will be attending the Puyallup show Wednesday or Thursday as an outing with my Dad since he likes to go and we have for years.

Paul_

Life of the Party
Fly fishing related stuff at the Sportsmen’s Shows (Puyallup and Portland) has went from maybe 2% (being generous) to .05% over the last decade.
I still enjoy going and looking at the boats, newest marine gadgets, far off destinations I’ll probably never go to… And where else can you see the newest 600 hp mercury I’ve been thinking about installing on my drift boat.
There is at least 1 fly fishing related thing at the Puyallup show. David Paul Williams will be giving a seminar “Washington Fly Fishing: From Desert To Salt”.

Bugmeister

Staying Gold
Forum Supporter
Not to detour off the original post, but help me understand the interweb. What the heck?

Evidence Exhibit A: One day I was scrolling down through cnn.com and noticed this in a section they had noted as “paid content.” Weird on a number of levels. I showed my wife and she immediately suspected me of searching for or viewing other odd things on the web, which i don’t do. I screengrabbed it as it was so weird (see below).

I am a married, not-clinically-depressed person who is not interested in spa days. I have a super boring online life - PNW is probably the edgiest thing I look at on the web and it is the only thing i do that hovers at edge of social media, as I have never had a presence on Meta, twitter, TikTok, a dating site, etc. When I’m feeling adventurous i might watch a SNL skit on YouTube.com.

However, after seeing this i found myself wondering if somehow AI has determined that my search history for things like restaurants, fantasy football stats, VW camper vans for sale, or surf reports is really a subliminal cry for self care in Puyallup? Weird. I have never even been to Puyallup. Now I’m scared to google Puyallup Sportsmen’s. Who knows what the impacts of that search would be….A9543F3B-94DE-4721-886F-9F26E6120504.jpeg

Last edited:

Wolverine

Smolt
Haven’t been to this show in 4 years. I used to go to checkout BC and Alaska fishing lodges.
This year, and the past 3 I’ve been soaking up the sunshine in Palm Desert instead.

wetline dave

Steelhead
The show is what you make of it. There are usually a lot of destination fishing opportunities, lodge, guides, do it your self stuff. Just because it is not oriented to fly fishing doesn't mean fly fishing is not part of the offering.. These Lodges cater to just about everyone.

If you pass something up because it doesn't shout out fly fishing in huge flashing neon lights then you are going to miss a lot of stuff. If it bothers you that someone will be fishing in a different manner I think you are missing out. Many oft he displayers of fishing destinations seem to showcase gear type opportunities, that is the largest group of fishers, but they will welcome a fly person and do what they can to accommodate. It is a matter of slowing down and chatting. Before Covid I ran across an elderly couple with a few cabins and a main house on a smallish lake in BC that sported what the old guy said was OK but consistent fishing for trout. Not trophy class but some nice fish, typical fish 17 or 18 inches and larger ones maybe 25 or 26 inches. You could expect about 20% of your catch to be bigger fish. Seven days and seven nights with 4 person cabin, breakfast and dinner Dailey. Boats available on limited basis. The missus said no one walks away hungry and by GOD you will just LOVE my pies. Cost $1450 per person, US dollars. Not one word about fly fishing in their promo stuff.

The amount and breadth of information many of the displayers will share is quite amazing.

Dave

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I haven't attended since pre-covid, so I'm glad this thread popped up. It's definitely not a fly fishing centric show, so I never expected that. I've gotten a few gadgets over the years and occasionally some salmon fishing gear. I will probably attend if I don't go fishing next week.

SRC&Bassbum

Steelhead
Appreciate the feedback. It doesn’t sound like it’s worth going to for fly fishing content. I was hoping they had some bass fishing stuff but the website with show info doesn’t show that anymore. Years ago they had a bass fishing tank trailer and seminars that was kind of cool to watch fish behavior

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Not a big fan of the show. I don't mind wandering around for a bit checking out the campers and some of the marine stuff, but really not much there that interests me.

If you want to wander around and visit 47383 steelhead guide booths it's great.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I can't remember who sponsored the fly fishing "expo" that were at Lynnwood for several years (and Bellevue before that?) but, if you want fly fishing shows, here's a list:

I sounds like a lot of forum members are planning on March 10/11 in Albany, Oregun (gone).

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Slight thread drift here. Was thinking of heading to the Fly Fishing Show in New Jersey this weekend but decided to head to Atlanta next weekend instead. Equi-distant 500 miles. Vendor attendance appears to be down somewhat. I’m aware of at least 8 vendors that are not attending, 5 of which I consider good acquaintances.
The big exclamation point is Sage is among those not attending. I remember when they would have a combined 4 - 8 units. Huge outlay of $$ to attend has to affect eventual CoG and bottom line.
There’s a large part of our “new & improved” $1000 fly rods.
The landscape has certainly changed dramatically over the last 10-15 years.
All industry trade shows have changed dramatically in the last decade...

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So, I went to the show today last minute after doctor (the doctor sucked).

Anyway the show is 85-90% back to our COVID. Same vendors pretty no fly stuff.

I ran into 6-10 guys that I have volunteered with, fished with and raised money with... So this was GREAT! Talked about up coming seasons and adventures from last year. Bought a few small gear things, looked at dinner possible adventures. And could have spent a ton of money (did in my head).

So for me this was a great show (more people than buying) and am glad the industry wasn't totally killed but COVID.

Here are a could of things I liked at ... Have fun if you go!

IMG_20230201_144421232_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230201_122912809.jpg

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
That tall camper looks dangerous for beer drinkers......pee outta the side flap?? Watch out for that first step....it’s a doozy!