Puerto Vallarta and north??

stillreleasing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I'm headed South in a few weeks to get some sun and surf in Puerto Vallarta and a bit north (mostly San Pancho). I haven't been to that region in a while and was wondering if anyone has experience with tossing some flies around those parts? Any guidance would be much appreciated! - guides, rod weight, flies, etc. I'm will most likely only have a day, maybe 2 to get away and fish, unless all you need is the beach with some structure. I hope everyone had a lot to eat yesterday!!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm headed South in a few weeks to get some sun and surf in Puerto Vallarta and a bit north (mostly San Pancho). I haven't been to that region in a while and was wondering if anyone has experience with tossing some flies around those parts? Any guidance would be much appreciated! - guides, rod weight, flies, etc. I'm will most likely only have a day, maybe 2 to get away and fish, unless all you need is the beach with some structure. I hope everyone had a lot to eat yesterday!!
I THINK there was a thread about San pancho at the old place? Regardless, I’m interested as well since we go to Sayulita.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Captain Paublo in Sayulita, a small surf town north of PV, I would go there and skip PV ;)If you need a rental I know a greta place!

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
I know you said North, but anyway...... I was in Boca de Tomatlan (south) last December, not so much on a fishing trip, but a trip where I brought a 7 wt. I spent some time fishing off the dock in the bay there. Hooked up and lost some needlefish. There were a lot small jacks around and had fun going for those on poppers but I never actuall managed to hook up to one.

I paid some guy $60 to take me out for 2 hours on a panga and managed to catch a very nice snapper, which was then turned in to one of the tastiest meals of my life.

For not being a fishing trip I think it was successful. A 7 WT was fine and flies were what you'd think... clousers and other baitfish variations.

I know it wasn't precisely what you're looking for, but that's my experience in the general area. Good luck and have fun!