Pram Size Opinion

Cliff

Steelhead
I've got an older 8ft pram that has served me pretty well. It's some type of plastic or moulded thing, stable enough to stand in to cast. Light enough to get in an out of a truck just fine. I'm a small guy so it works well for me. It's the white boat in this photo.Pram.jpg

RCF

Life of the Party
Something comes to mind: One boat per fisher isn't enough.

Actually it is just right.

Two of us can go where ever we want - independently.
I do not have to worry about what or where the other fisher put their stuff.
They can not break my stuff.
I do not have to put up with some dirty-assed indicator fisher person just sitting there bored.
I do not have to share my lunch or antifreeze.
I can get a smaller pram that I can manage in/out of the vehicle and on the water.

One of the very few times smaller is better...

dep

Steelhead
I've got an older 8ft pram that has served me pretty well. It's some type of plastic or moulded thing, stable enough to stand in to cast. Light enough to get in an out of a truck just fine. I'm a small guy so it works well for me. It's the white boat in this photo.View attachment 53049
wanna sell the blue boat in the back ground?

onefish

Steelhead
fat cat, 8ft inflatble avon, 12 foot pram, 1040, 14 ft springbok tinnie, 16 ft clacka and I got rid of a scadden sunrise.
So, 6 "boats" in the fleet. The springbok gets the most use by far. The clacka used to get the most use but steelheading here on vancouver island is dreadful these days.

The moral of the story, no such thing as the perfect boat.

Cliff

Steelhead
Thank you all for the advise. I found and bought a 9ft 9in used wooden pram. It's in good shape but needs some TLC. I'll get it repainted and be out there soon. Thanks again.

That's a great looking boat. Maybe 25 years ago the old Wooden Boat Store on Boat St. in the UW area sold plans for small little pram named the "Pass Lake Pram", which reminds me a lot of this boat, except their showroom model was tricked out with neat little touches and an awesome paint scheme.

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
Thank you all for the advise. I found and bought a 9ft 9in used wooden pram. It's in good shape but needs some TLC. I'll get it repainted and be out there soon. Thanks again.

I’ve been eye balling that pram for months. Really happy you bought it. What a great price on a nice looking boat. And no bench seat! Swivel 360 degrees to pull anchors and chase fish!

wetline dave

Steelhead
I have a "gasp" 6 foot pram built by a friend. It is a V bottom and with a rocker type hull,. Stand up in it, not any bet could get me to do that but to row and drift it is as good as it gets. That is what I was looking for. To do it over I would go to 7 feet but standing up is a very low priority. Falling out of a boat at any age is really bad news and harder to get back into than most people can imagine. You only get to drown once!

My point is think about how you will use it and forget standing up. If you can't cast sitting down learn to do it! I fished 30 years out of a canoe and learned to keep a high back cast and settled for the distances I could achieve. Do you really need to cast beyond 60 feet?

Dave